Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT in their 2009+ 987?

Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone installed a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT in their 2009+ 987?

I've looked at this unit, AVIC-X930BT, to replace my CDR-30 factory stereo. Has anyone had any experience. Does this thing require changing amps, etc? Any advice would be appreciated I'd obviously put the Porsche trim piece around the unit if I do it. Suncoast Porsche has it on their website.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Well....almost.

I have removed the crappy CDR-24 out of my 2008 and replaced it with a Pioneer Avic-Z120BT and can tell you the difference is AMAZING. The head units in these cars are truly terrible. The sound was so improved I didn't change out the amp or the speakers, all that was needed was the main unit.

This is a fairly involved install. It took me about 8 hours to do and I'm quite good at this sort of thing. There are a lot of wires to hook up and tricks to doing it. Some highlights:

* When removing the CDR-30, to NOT over-rotate the retaining clips past 90 degrees. If you do they will break and you'll pay the devil getting the old unit out. You must go in the one direction only.

* Buy the kit from Euro MotorSpeed on EBAY. It has the correct wiring harnesses along with the bezel. About $ 250. www.ebayitem.com/320629233409. I would advise against attempting this install without the wiring harness kit.

* Skip wiring up the vehicle speed sensor. Its not worth taking apart the critical ABS wiring loom to tap into for having GPS in a tunnel. 99% of the time your GPS will get a read from the satellites anyways

* Put the unit GPS receiver wire through the firewall (harness grommet) and make a metal bracket for it to stay upon under the plastic cover at the windshield wiper cowling. it reads fine here, and is a cleaner install than atop your dash with wires hanging off.

* Do the handbrake mod (youtube videos will show you how) so you can operate the NAV other then when at a dead stop. Takes 5 minutes.

* Hook up ALL wires in the back of the unit, except for the RCA jacks which you tape up, as you are using your standard amp. There will be an white connector plug that you will be tempted to not hook up as it goes no where, but that has to be done to make the handbrake mod work.

* You have a CAN BUS system on the car. You can't just get 12v anywhere. Go to the specific fuse listed in the instructions.

* The iPod Adapter wire is an extra $ 35 or so. Well worth it.

* Streaming Pandora rocks if you have an iPhone 3gs or 4! I don't think the X930 has it, but the 120 and newer 130 do. I use that most of all.

* You have to pickup your unit illumination from a rear tail lamp. Again, shortcuts don't work because of the Can Bus. This means about 90 minutes just running that one wire.

* Don't completely test fit the new unit when done. Leave it out 1" and check everything. One you snap it in...its in and doesn't like to come out.

* BT microphone works best attached high on the driver's side A-pillar and you can conceal the wire all the way to the unit if you work at it a bit.

One of the best upgrades I've done, together with my concealed Passport 9500ci. I think you started another thread on this topic, and (Opinions on CDR-30) and I have a photo of my completed install there.

Duane
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent summary Duane. I think there is one omission. Your steps are for non-Bose. If the OP has Bose it is a much bigger task.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is my CDR-30 a Bose system? It does not say Bose anywhere on it or the speakers. This is very confusing and appears to be a big hassle even if it is not a Bose system.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Bose system will say Bose on the door speaker grill. Sounds like you don't have Bose.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Here's a good, recent thread on the topic over at another forum, by the Euro Motorspeed guys:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...vic-120bt.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone installed a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT in their 2009+ 987?