Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of clear bras

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Pros and cons of clear bras

From what I understand, there are several choices with clear bras. You can either install a bra that goes up about 20 inches on the hood, covers the front bumper and part of the front quarter panels or a more custom full bra that covers the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper and mirrors.

Apparently, cleaning of the bras is much easier than cleaning a non-bra'd car. But you need to use a special cleaner. I plan on periodically tracking my car and I know that it was always a bit of effort to get all the rubber marks off my prior non-bra'd car.

On the downside, I've heard people say that the edge of the partial bra can be a bit of an issue to keep clean since you frequently wax right up to it. Although minimal, it also leaves a visible edge crossing the hood.

Also from what I understand you still need to maintain the film each year by applying its own special conditioner, so it is not completely maintenance free.

I have checked on local pricing. The dealer has quoted a 3M solution for the 'partial' bra for about $950. I was quoted $1900 for a full bra. You can also get the rocker panels done for $250 a side and $90 per side for the area of the rear bumper behind the rear wheels. The full bra will cover the front section of the side stripe on the front quarter panels. The rocker panel option also replaces the factory clear bra on the leading edge of the rear quarter panels and does leave an edge like the factory film.

I've seen some of these. Yes, you can see the partial bra when it ends and starts, around the headlights, across the hood and quarter panels. The full bra is tough to notice at all. The edges are wrapped underneath the headlights, etc. I've also seen bad film applications where the paint looks like orange peel so I am sure the installer is a critical component.

I have never had a car with one so I would like to hear from those that do. I'd like to figure it out before I take delivery. Of course there is always the option of a good wax but I think the intention of the bra is prevent chips which wax won't. Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Venture Shield clear bra on the front bumper and bottom 18" of the front hood and fenders. In retrospect, I wish I had paid for the whole front hood (IIRC, it would have been an additional $300 or so for the extra large sheet of material required), since I have sustained a couple of small rock chips above the bra.

The line across the hood is not very noticeable from the front, but you can see it from the rear or sides. I have to mask off the edges of the bra whenever I want to clay/wax the car to prevent build-up along the margins. I don't do anything special to maintain the bra (other than usual washing/waxing of the car), and it still looks pretty good after 3 1/2 years.

Tire marble marks are actually a little harder to clean off the bra, than the clear coat in my experience; I use a Mister Clean Magic Eraser, and that seems to work pretty well.

The prices you quoted sound a little high to me - I suspect because you are going through the dealer, and paying a premium. I would check around and find out what shop your dealer uses, or one that others in your area recommend, and go get a quote directly from the guy that is going to do the install. I'll bet you will get a much better price that way.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
pcw
Instructor

There are many threads regarding clear bra's, just do a search in the 987 forum. Also try Planet 9 in Cayman Boxster forums, I have my Spyder's entire front end wrap in X-PEL.

Here is one thread

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ra-advice.html

pcw

Last edited by pcw; 01-29-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 PM
wbgordon
Racer

I can't imagine owning a Porsche, let alone a BLACK one, without a clear bra. I especially appreciate having one when I'm behind a truck that's spewing debris. If you get a smudge or scratch, simply apply isopropyl alcohol and -- voila! -- it's gone. RE how far up the hood, that's subjective. My Spyder has a "bikini cut" only part the way up the hood. No big deal.

After I had an unprotected 997 damaged by road pebbles sprayed from a U-Haul truck changing lanes in front me on Alligator Alley a number of years ago, I swore never again. I recommend it to any Porsche owner.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As far as maintenance of clear bras, I have been using carnauba on my DD with great results. It keeps it shiny and also helps with cleaning off the bugs. When waxing if you wipe in the direction from the bra towards the paint the wax won't build up at the edges. If you do get wax build up at the edge you can spray some quick detailer on the crease and gently wipe with a microfiber.

I'm planning on having it installed on my Spyder.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
awai08
Advanced

I'm a fan of clear bra material; I have it on my 987s, Mk 6 GTI daily driver & two mountain bikes (!).

Others can chime in, but I take care of the material surface the same way I take care of my car, i.e. keep it clean & under the shade. Outside of that, I haven't any problems over the last few years.

There are two kinds of brands: 3M, which has a slight orange-peel surface, and Ventureshield, which is smoother. Both are shiny.

As regards the bra edge on the the hood, a curved one is less noticable than a straight cut. It's something to think about if you choose to cover just the front of the car.

In my experience, application is as important as the material and coverage. Finding a good installer will be worth your $$ and time.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:04 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

love my clear bra, love the protection with bugs, only thing by the rear fender it looks like it's turning yellowish or maybe because my car's white so it's easy to see..but no problems with the bumper and hood..

Name:  IMG_2448.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  88.2 KB
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Tire marks are easily removed with a cleaner wax... I have a small bottle of Mother's brand for that occasion. For regular maintenance, I use DP Plex-all to clean off any bugs & gunk and preserve the film condition. I use synthetic wax on the car, and one of the advantage over natural wax is I don't have the wax build-up problem along the edge or on black plastic trims.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't buy any fine car and not have a clear bra. We have it on all of our cars except the Subaru. As for price quotes about partial vs. full kits, you need to find out what each kit consists of. Full kits from different manufacturers can vary greatly (yes they all do the bumper and hood, but I found on one of my cars some kits included mirrors and small sections behind the wheels...and some don't) so find out exactly what you are getting.

Also, it depends on the rocker panels whether they can/should be done. If they are smooth its no problem. If they are textured, as on some Porsches, they may not adhere properly. I wanted the rocker panels done on my Boxster and the intaller cautioned me against it. He said because of the texturing, he could do it, although it may prematurely start peeling away, so it would most likely be a waste of $ to do it. He did do the side lip on the front wheel wells of the Boxster, a little above the rocker, and I had him do the entire rear bumper (custom in 1 piece) so it protects behind the rear wheels, and it came out great!

The guys that installed them, told me most waxes will be fine, although one recommended "liquid glass." I've had great results. I am super cautious about waxing the edges of the bra...it take some time but I have a small paint brush that I use to do near the edges being careful not to get it directly on the actual edge of the bra. I've been doing this for several years and I don't have wax build up on the bra edges.

Also, in addition to protecting from small stone chips and bugs, it will protect against bumper scuffs from idiots. The bra might be screwed but low impact scrapes wont go through to the paint. My wife's MB was parked at a department store and when she came out she noticed someone must have tried to get in or out of a parking space without taking paying attention to her car and they scraped the side of the front bumper. It put some serious deep scrapes into the bra, but once peeled away we saw the paint was unharmed.

The key thing is to find a place with someone you trust in terms of workmanship. A lousy clear bra application is easily seen. A really good application will be much tougher to see. Also, get the bugs off the bra as soon as possible!

Good luck.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I have been considering this too. I'm still on the fence. I'm more worried about long term. What will it look like 3 years from now and if it has to be removed.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
From what I understand, there are several choices with clear bras. You can either install a bra that goes up about 20 inches on the hood, covers the front bumper and part of the front quarter panels or a more custom full bra that covers the entire hood, front fenders, front bumper and mirrors.

Apparently, cleaning of the bras is much easier than cleaning a non-bra'd car. But you need to use a special cleaner. I plan on periodically tracking my car and I know that it was always a bit of effort to get all the rubber marks off my prior non-bra'd car.

On the downside, I've heard people say that the edge of the partial bra can be a bit of an issue to keep clean since you frequently wax right up to it. Although minimal, it also leaves a visible edge crossing the hood.

Also from what I understand you still need to maintain the film each year by applying its own special conditioner, so it is not completely maintenance free.

I have checked on local pricing. The dealer has quoted a 3M solution for the 'partial' bra for about $950. I was quoted $1900 for a full bra. You can also get the rocker panels done for $250 a side and $90 per side for the area of the rear bumper behind the rear wheels. The full bra will cover the front section of the side stripe on the front quarter panels. The rocker panel option also replaces the factory clear bra on the leading edge of the rear quarter panels and does leave an edge like the factory film.

I've seen some of these. Yes, you can see the partial bra when it ends and starts, around the headlights, across the hood and quarter panels. The full bra is tough to notice at all. The edges are wrapped underneath the headlights, etc. I've also seen bad film applications where the paint looks like orange peel so I am sure the installer is a critical component.

I have never had a car with one so I would like to hear from those that do. I'd like to figure it out before I take delivery. Of course there is always the option of a good wax but I think the intention of the bra is prevent chips which wax won't. Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Phil

There is nothing better to protect your paint than a clear bra. When considering maintenance options you want to have purpose made products that will preserve the bra and keep it looking new. There are two products I would recommend:

XPEL PPF Cleaner (16 oz)

XPEL Paint Protection Film Cleaner is designed to extract most environmental deposits such as tar, oil, hard water stains, bug acids and other contaminants from Polyurethane paint protection films. Its deep cleaning action restores the clear, glossy, freshly-installed appearance of the original film.

Part Number: R1331
Our Price: $19.95

http://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_p...bcat=Aftercare Products&pn=R1331

XPEL PPF Sealant (16 ounce bottle)

XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection.

Part Number: R1326
Our Price: $19.95

http://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_p...bcat=Aftercare Products&pn=R1326

As for looks, it depends on who installs your bra and how much you would like to spend. The more coverage on the car (front clip wrapped) the better the application will work and look.

I would also consider taking a look at a film manufacturer that has a clear film without orange peel. Orange peel is the texture of the film that will distort the look of your paint (especially a quality paint job). I personally find the orange peel look much more annoying than a simple line across the hood of a clear bra.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cas951
I have been considering this too. I'm still on the fence. I'm more worried about long term. What will it look like 3 years from now and if it has to be removed.
Hey Cas,

We had to have my wife's replaced after that parking lot incident I mentioned, and the paint was perfect no issues even after it had been there for roughly 4 years. The thing I'd wonder about with your car is the decals that are on the hood. I wonder how well the bra will adhere to the decals and if you have to remove the bra, I don't know what would happen to your decals.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hey Cas,

We had to have my wife's replaced after that parking lot incident I mentioned, and the paint was perfect no issues even after it had been there for roughly 4 years. The thing I'd wonder about with your car is the decals that are on the hood. I wonder how well the bra will adhere to the decals and if you have to remove the bra, I don't know what would happen to your decals.

Best regards,
Dino
Those are good point Dino. I may end up doing just the front bumpers. I definitle will do that before my long drive to Flagstaff for PCA Escape in Sept. That 700+ miles each way.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. pcw - thanks for the link to the thread on planet-9, very informative. Sure seems like the bra is a good idea and it best to have it cover the entire hood. With the proper cleaner and sealant products maintenance should be straightforward. Decision is much easier now, thanks again.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default What will these clear coats look like in the future is the Big Issue amigo!

Originally Posted by cas951
These are cars... not Faberge Eggs. Have always opted for no shield of any kind simply becasue after a few years on the roadway, you can plainly see the plastic peeling up in spots from rock strikes.

Last edited by Frank Bullitt; 02-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of clear bras