Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complete new PCM 3.0/nav/sat/audio/bluetooth vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
bedrock
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete new PCM 3.0/nav/sat/audio/bluetooth vs aftermarket

Hello,

I've been reading a variety of forums with interest on the aftermarket options that folks have installed for navigation, ipod/iphone hookup, cell phones, sat radio etc... Many of the threads comment on the deficiencies of the older 1.4 and 2.0 systems, various aftermarket upgrades, etc. The few comments I've read about the factory installed PCM 3.0 systems have been positive.

My situation is this. I'm getting ready to order a Boxster S this week which will be my daily driver. I'm not an audiophile so the sound package plus is fine for audio. Otherwise I'm likely going to order the complete electronic package which is
PCM 3.0 with navigation $3,110
Universal Audio interface $440
XM radio/XM nav traffic $750
Bluetooth interface for mobile $695

As you can see this adds up to $4,995 which is a lot of money!

My reasons for ordering the above include the elegance of having an in-dash system controlling everything including navigation/traffic/sat radio/mobile/ipod, the peace of mind when leaving the car with the top down in a parking lot, safety with cell bluetooth+convenience of touch screen with contact list/making calls.
GPS Navigation/XM traffic is important for daily use trips,weekend trips, and I often drive in the city and like avoid accidents/slow traffic in real time. I enjoy satellite radio, but it's not a must, but you automatically get XM sat radio if you want the XM nav traffic live updates. I have some of these nav features on my iphone, but I have to hold and manipulate the phone which isn't safe for city driving.
I love that through the universal audio interface my iphone playlists pop up on the touch PCM screen and I can shuffle songs, play playlists or search for artist etc,., and my iphone is charged at the same time, while stowed away comfortably even if I'm driving fast and hard.

One thing the Porsche system is missing is the capability to play TV shows/ movies on the PCM screen, either from a DVD or shows I have on my iPhone.

My questions

1-Are current PCM 3.O owners happy with what your systems do? Is there anything you really miss that isn't currently available with the current PCM 3.0 system and the optional porsche components?

2-Are there any in-dash aftermarket devices that do all of those things for much less money? Particularly one that also allows you to play videos/movies from ipod/phone or plays video DVDs?

3-If so how much would it cost to install all the same functionality? (system and labor costs), and can it be done so there are no exposed wires and doesn't alter the external cosmetic appearance of the car.

An aftermarket system would need to be at least $1500 cheaper to make it worth the hassle or it could be similarly priced if it gives me video DVD playback and/or video playback from ipod, but I figure that might be possible since we are starting at $5000 for the porsche components.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions

P.S. If anyone could recommend a good aftermarket shop for this in the Philadelphia/Harrisburg/Lancaster area, that would be appreciated.

Last edited by bedrock; 03-15-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like my 3.0. Would be nice if one could have real time XM weather displayed.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Having owned an Acura (Honda), Lexus, and BMW all with Navigation, my take is the PCM system is very good. However, I am (I guess) spoiled by having voice activation and specific functions controlled by one button. To me, it is annoying and dangerous to have to take one's eyes off the road to find a phone book number first, then push a couple of other touch screen buttons to actually make the call. I miss the simpler ways of managing that. Looking down and away at the map is also a little creepy when I'm trying to pay attention to traffic. So - I don't really do it.

Also - while the voice directions and screen setup for the NAV is very good, to me, the road names are a little difficult to read in the daytime. The nighttime screen is easier to read.

The iPod and USB (memory stick) readouts and management are very good. But I do wish Porsche would put a few control buttons on the steering wheel that would interact with the PCM. Yeah - I know its available, but once again - this is another source of high profit for them, and my car doesn't have it.

I would rather have this factory system than an aftermarket, but as you can see, I think Porsche needs to rethink some of this.

Doug
Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has PCM3 fixed a bug that used to annoy me in version 2? - If you'd had the music source muted when you turned the system off, it would be 'un-muted' when you turned it back on and you'd have to wait ages while the whole thing booted up again before you could mute it again or even turn down the volume.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Has PCM3 fixed a bug that used to annoy me in version 2? - If you'd had the music source muted when you turned the system off, it would be 'un-muted' when you turned it back on and you'd have to wait ages while the whole thing booted up again before you could mute it again or even turn down the volume.
Not sure, but I don't seem to have experienced that. I've been told the new version is much better, but I wouldn't know as this is my first P-car.

Doug
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
bedrock
Track Day

I understood that overall you that PCM 3.0 was a decent system but I'm confused about the voice activation part. Do you have voice activation? Do you like it?

I'm still not sure how helpful the optional buttons on the steering wheel are? I also think they make the car look a bit more like a soft touring car, instead of something you could take on a track.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

1) remember that as of this time, Porsche still isn't selling those electronic overlays after the fact. Suncoast still can't get anything, so you order with or no go

2) TV in a Boxster - there are no rear seats and what can the passenger really see? i hope you don't drive and watch the tube at the same time?????
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Mine does not have the voice activation feature. I recently asked my service tech about adding that after the fact and while he didn't say it was impossible, he pretty much suggested I not do it ($$$ and not worth it so he felt). I have it in my BMW, and my wife's Lexus. I used it occasionally in each car, and do find it a nice feature, but not at the price Porsche wants for it!!

Doug
Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

John, re: the mute button before you turn the engine off, it is not muted when you restart.

Quick Reply: complete new PCM 3.0/nav/sat/audio/bluetooth vs aftermarket