Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat

I recall that there was an air bag switch for the Boxster/Cayman passenger seat [so that a car seat can be used] that was less expensive than the complex unit that is $700+. Does anyone know about one?
Thanks, Jim
Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

my manual says that there is a switch on the right side of the dashboard. if you open the door , you should be able to see it . you stick the key in it and turn it .having said that , i went and looked and my car does not have such a switch .
Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vladie22
my manual says that there is a switch on the right side of the dashboard. if you open the door , you should be able to see it . you stick the key in it and turn it .having said that , i went and looked and my car does not have such a switch .
As per the manual in my '06 CS, its a dealer installed item, not standard equipment.

Brian
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vladie22
I believe that is only on the European spec cars, not US due to DOT regs.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
911to987
1st Gear

My '05 boxster didn't have the switch when I found the car a year ago. After watching my 7 year old son stare longingly at the passenger seat for the last 11 months, I went ahead and spent the money. Parts were about $250 and labor was about $350. I'd heard rumors about aftermarket options, but never really looked into them, as I'm pretty happy keeping my warranty intact - especially with an airbag in front of my son.

Worth every dime just for the look on his face sitting over there.

Eric
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought this was interesting.

From the Porsche website:

"Despite the presence of a weight sensing system in the passenger seat in MY 2006 and later vehicles. it is recommended to have your authorized Porsche dealer install an airbag deactivation key-operated switch and the lower anchorages into the seat."
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i thought on 987's, if the passenger isn't heavy enough, passenger airbag turns itself off. that's they way it is on my RS and cayman and 987 boxster S (2006). i put my 3 year olds car seat on the passenger seat, stuff her in the seat, buckle her up and the air bag turns itself off by lighting up the AWS passenger airbag off light. am i mistaken?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i thought on 987's, if the passenger isn't heavy enough, passenger airbag turns itself off. that's they way it is on my RS and cayman and 987 boxster S (2006). i put my 3 year olds car seat on the passenger seat, stuff her in the seat, buckle her up and the air bag turns itself off by lighting up the AWS passenger airbag off light. am i mistaken?
Yes, the 987 is similar to the 997 in this respect, however while the light my be lit that the airbag is deactivated, I would be worried about enough force being applied to the seat to activate the airbag. Having the key-switched installed is the best way to be sure that the bag is deactivated--better than depending on the sensors.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Yes, the 987 is similar to the 997 in this respect, however while the light my be lit that the airbag is deactivated, I would be worried about enough force being applied to the seat to activate the airbag. Having the key-switched installed is the best way to be sure that the bag is deactivated--better than depending on the sensors.
thanx for the explanation. i got it now.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat