Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Parting with my 968

Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parting with my 968

I'll be putting my car up on auction @ Bring a Trailer next week , and I wanted to put this in front of the cognoscenti in case anyone is looking for another 968. BaT doesn't really like multiple listings for a car on auction..

Blk/Blk
6Spd Coupe
Koni Yellow
RS Barn Exhaust
Cup2 wheels
Clean carfax
VIN WP0AA2967PS820529

Exterior 7-7.5 (its been enjoyed and its black paint, so a 10 ft car)
3 small door dings, two hairline scratches rear bumper, front bumper rock chip peppering. Some sandblasting on the rockers. some light finish wear on 2 wheels ( no gouging or rash/ metal damage) two owners ago the right front fender had a brief relationship with a load gate. the owner re-sprayed to the A pillars. The rest is original.

Interior 9
A small portion of the left driver bolster could use dye (very small)

Pictures can be seen in my profile album. If people have trouble finding that, i'll upload

In the past 3K

All Belts, Rollers / idlers, Clutch kit, 02 sensor, knock sensor, radiator, spark plugs, Oil (Brad Penn)

In the past 9K miles
- New cam chain (heavy duty version) and tensioner pads
- New valve cover gasket and gromets
Balance shaft belt and associated rollers
- Complete front engine re-seal which included upper and lower balance shaft seals and o'rings, crank seal and cam seal
Complete tune up: included new spark plug wires and plugs, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter

Brakes and tires have plenty of life left

Fun for the next owner
A/C ( blew cold for my entire ownership until this winter)
Headlight motor relay... eventually.. (occasionally right light will not rotate. cycling the switch motivates it to position)
rear right hatch release ( rubber buffer gone, hatch pin has play and hatch will rattle on large bumps)

I have a few records from the previous owner, and of course records for everything i've spent on the car.

PCA member. $15K to a good home. PPI welcome.

Last edited by Rudey08; 03-09-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Bold letters
Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 PM
esseight
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting - I bought my 6-speed 968 coupe on BaT a few months ago. Mine sounds like it's in better shape cosmetically, but it's not nearly as well sorted mechanically.

If yours doesn't go to a member here I'll be very curious to see how it does on BaT. Good luck with the sale!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a nice car, good luck with the sale.

If you dont mind me asking, why Bring a trailer and not Ebay or other national level auctions? Just curious if their audience is bigger or better or if the terms for the seller are better or fees or what?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Sounds like a nice car, good luck with the sale.

If you dont mind me asking, why Bring a trailer and not Ebay or other national level auctions? Just curious if their audience is bigger or better or if the terms for the seller are better or fees or what?
The seller fees are much lower because the buyer eats a relatively huge fee. It also has the veneer of being an enthusiast oriented site with knowledgeable people commenting and discussing the particular car with many people trying to one-up each other in pointing out potential issues so the bidders feel reasonably safe that they got a solid car.

The reality is they make a fancy ad off the owner's pictures and description then collect 5% from the buyer (even if the sale falls through) without providing any guarantee that the ad is correct nor offering any assistance with the sale itself like escrow or PPI. It's a fun site to follow since it's concentrated neat cars and I've bid on a 996TT there but its reputation is overblown in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I too thought that the amateur hour comments mixed in with some relative expert ones were a complete distraction to some otherwise really nice cars.

The window dressing with an all cars format seems really nice though contrasted to Ebay with advertisements left and right and up and down where you could purchase a toaster, purse, or a really nice car within 10" of click space.

I kind of liked the space except for the yahoo shout out forum.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 AM
esseight
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed you need to take the comments on BaT with a grain of salt, but there is also a lot of knowledge to gain from that community.

The guys that run it have no incentive to vet cars for buyers, not sure why that would be expected. It's always prudent to look at a car in person and/or get a PPI done.

The other difference between BaT and eBay is that BaT doesn't allow for snipe bidding. Towards the end of an auction each bid extends the auction duration by another two minutes. So vehicles sell for true market, or as high as bidders are willing to go.

I have no connection with the site, just a frequent browser (and one-time buyer ).
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esseight
Agreed you need to take the comments on BaT with a grain of salt, but there is also a lot of knowledge to gain from that community.

The guys that run it have no incentive to vet cars for buyers, not sure why that would be expected. It's always prudent to look at a car in person and/or get a PPI done.

The other difference between BaT and eBay is that BaT doesn't allow for snipe bidding. Towards the end of an auction each bid extends the auction duration by another two minutes. So vehicles sell for true market, or as high as bidders are willing to go.

I have no connection with the site, just a frequent browser (and one-time buyer ).
I'm just semi-bitter because the stupid pay 5% fee when you bid deal locked my card and I missed a decent car since the bid wasn't processed. I just prefer the Ebay model because there's at least there's substantial buyer protection because you can get the winning bid, then get PPI, then actually pay for the car because for auto auctions bids are non-binding like other auctions. I did that exact process on my 996TT after confirming the seller was ok with the arrangement as a courtesy but I could have walked away at any point if things didn't add up without any out of pocket cash. With BaT if the PPI came back bad, you still lose that 5% even if it wasn't a disclosed issue so you're forced to get a PPI before knowing you're going to win which is even more of an expense and a hassle to do within a week span.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Kevin - text me and let me know if it sold. If not, free bump
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM
longrunner1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Best of Luck with sale, I have been using Auto Trader and the PCA Classifieds to sell my Porsches over the last 5 years. Cheapest one time fee way to advertise a car "till it sells". No negative comments by trolls and comedians, Have sold all mine with no issues and to "real knowledgeable enthusiasts.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cliff, text sent. Met the Palmetto region folks for breakfast, they were mentioning your 968 stable

I,m expecting it to be posted on BaT this weekend.
Long story short apparently my arsenal of pictures taken with (an older 3MP) Nikon d80 weren't to their standards. I was always taught the glass makes a nice picture not the sensor. Guess times have changed but I digress.

@ Longrunner1, thanks for the feedback I think ill also look at that option

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parting with my 968