Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Odometer Discrepency - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Odometer Discrepency - thoughts?

Looking at a couple of 968 coupes and there is a odometer discrepency the seller is not disclosing. Not sure if it is on purpose or if they don't know about it. Anyways, running the VIN on vehiclehistory.com and seeing the mileage is off from the advertised mileage.

Question - why should or should I not consider buying a car with an odometer issue? I know we won't ever know the true mileage and the effects that may have (wear and tear). Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

What do you see from the seller and what is reported in the vin check and how long ago? Also does teh vin check make sense (i.e was not a typo for one datapoint).

If it was last reported at 140k 3 years ago and new odo says 98k, I would assume it has 200k on it and call it out if you really want the car.

I would value it at that too. Also keep in mind if it has lower reported miles this is a pain for you too.

These odos can and do break, might have been replaced with a used one.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Speedvagen
Racer

Vehicle History.com says 70k miles in 2002. Odometer now shows 50k miles.
Haven't run a carfax yet.....if anyone has access to run a free one, please let me know!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedvagen
Vehicle History.com says 70k miles in 2002. Odometer now shows 50k miles.
Haven't run a carfax yet.....if anyone has access to run a free one, please let me know!
Sounds like a 200k mile car to me, if it was a 92.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Speedvagen
Racer

Originally Posted by touareg
Sounds like a 200k mile car to me, if it was a 92.
It's a 95 but shouldn't make a difference.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask the seller about the discrepancy in a casual, matter of fact, way. If he blatantly lies…run or hard negotiate. If he levels up negotiate on how much you area idling to part with and put at risk to own the car.
And yes odos fail. 4 of my 14 had issues.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default David pagan Porsche purchase thoughts odo issues

Hello,
I've purchased and rebuilt a few P cars over the years , and most of the time all the odometer reading are off, one due to broken gears or some decided to turn them back, one thing that s funny about older cars and the odometers ALLOT of buyers put allot of faith in a purchase if the odometer reads below a certain number. SOME TIMES SELLERS HAVE NO CLUE ?

ON ODOMETERS
Ok a low number might mean that the seller can ask more money or if the car is a collectible people like to feel that it wasnt driven much...But with most of the P cars once you get into the 70k mark or the years go by your going to be changing everything any way in terms of belt s , hoses , brakes rotors , bearings, shocks , bushing ect .
( UNLESS ITS THAT SPECIAL AC KEPT STORAGE TIME CAPSULE FIND)

What I usually look for is the maintence , and the previous service,(AND FRAME DAMAGE ) if the seller has nothing to show interm s any major service or the car itself shows no new parts on it then I would adjust my offer accordingly.

Most cars you see out there in the different price rages from real low to the average market all need the same service work..
When dealing with the 968s , 928 's or s2's the timing belt / and chain , the plastic tension er rails are things to want to know about. Clutch service or auto damper service these are costly items , thus that repair or maintence should be considered .

Look for accident damage and real evidence of maintence , you 'll be real surprised of things not really done ??
Make yourself familiar what wears on the car you about to purchase and know the repair costs, this is where you can negotiate the price, the seller either did the work and can verify or Not. [B]If they dont Know assume its not done.

[I][B]Miles on a used car is as important as asking your significant other if your the first guy she went out with .
Most important to me is the mechanical expenses to come , after your purchase, cosmetic is right in front of your eyes thus no surprises.

I prefer to buy the P cars at the low end so i can put new parts into the car, why buy at mid price range when your going to be changing everything anyway. usually the difference is going to be a shinny car with clean interior, mid to high price as compared to similar lower priced car with the same mechanile thats in need of a paint job and interior work.

At the end of the day GO with your Instincts
Attached Images    

Last edited by dp951; 03-16-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Odo issues are somewhat common with our cars. That said, if you have one and you have a collectible example you will want to get it fixed ASAP. But as mentioned above, most of the collectible cars will have a solid paper trail that comes with them.

Some buyers will avoid an odo issue car.

I picked up a very nice 94 Aventurine coupe a few year back. It had 70k miles on it but the odo was replaced at the Porsche dealer at 35K. I had the receipt and notarized statement from the dealer documenting the replacement. The odo displayed 35k as it was at 0 when installed. when selling the car almost half the potential purchasers passed because of the odo replacement despite the documentation. So, it certainly matters to many.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default David pagan Buying used Porsche / odometer reading or mechanilcle

To quote jeff 968 and his is right what people will rely on
The odo displayed 35k as it was at 0 when installed. when selling the car almost half the potential purchasers passed because of the odo replacement despite the documentation. So, it certainly matters to many.

The main note if not after a collectors car, the odo reading being accurate can be a hit or miss, due to the fact in most of these cars they have stopped working at some point ,as same with the 944s when the rubber odo gear breaks down due to the soft material and type of lubrication.

The thing is most people who buy used cars use the miledge as a rule of thumb if the odo reads low the buyer ASSUMES that all is well due to the miles shown . NOT always the case .

As a builder Ive seen great high miledge cars and POS low miledge displayed cars especially the 968 family. Ive found early 1983 944s with over 100 k on the odo with better mechanical s than the latter 968s in 78 k range . Its all about being on top of the maintence.

That said,I 'd pay more attention to the service that can be proven than a shinny exterior , and low reading odo.

Unless your looking for the coffee table talk...low miles cars that are well documented and maintained bring a premium these days.

What ever you have your sights on , have it inspected by some who knows that type of car and the issues that come up with that particular car .
Dont rely on an odo reading and a nice folder with a bunch of papers.

Last edited by dp951; 03-16-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Odometer Discrepency - thoughts?