968 Forum 1992-1995

993 headlight conversion adjustability

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
A enthusiast in PA. He is a lurker here from time to time (I think). He posted these on FB last year. They are apparently replacement fenders.

I have a set of the 993 headlights in the garage. My thoughts are if one were to adapt the 993 headlight housing/receptacle from the 993 fender and associated opening to the 968 fender and pay close attention to the existing headlight recess/area - the functionality of the aiming system should be retained.

The headlights on the 993 are adjusted by a switch on the dash which raises/lowers the headlight aim by using a small electric motor that is integrated into the headlight housing. So, as long as you mount the headlights with the fender recess and include the switch/motors for the headlights you should be good to go.

Yes Jay I have thought about that 993 receptable aswell but isnt that dependable of the correct 993 "angle" of installation? My worries are that when using the D9 fenders and alike the headlight is in a lower angle and possibly that will make it hard to adjust the headlight. I mean possibly you reach the "max" adjusting limit when trying to get the beam low enough. I have no experience with the 993 lights but maybe they provide alot of adjustability so my worries isnt an issue?

Would be great if someone that has made this kind of modification to their car could chime in and share experiences.

Regards
Peder
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will 993 headlight lens fit into the 968 fender holes? I have a race car that doesn't need working lights but would look cool with the fixed lenses.
Anyone tried this?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Yes Jay I have thought about that 993 receptable aswell but isnt that dependable of the correct 993 "angle" of installation? My worries are that when using the D9 fenders and alike the headlight is in a lower angle and possibly that will make it hard to adjust the headlight. I mean possibly you reach the "max" adjusting limit when trying to get the beam low enough. I have no experience with the 993 lights but maybe they provide alot of adjustability so my worries isnt an issue?

Would be great if someone that has made this kind of modification to their car could chime in and share experiences.

Regards
Peder
Take a look at the fender and headlight mounting hardware in the picture.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by car_slave
Will 993 headlight lens fit into the 968 fender holes? I have a race car that doesn't need working lights but would look cool with the fixed lenses.
Anyone tried this?
I don't think so - the 993 headlights are basically a box with a cover lens.

You might want these-

https://www.absmotorsport.co.uk/prod...p-blanks-pair/
Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You can buy just the lenses, thought they will fit, but how to attach them?

I have a 993 fender in my basement I can dig out and measure, if someone wants the specs.

What material are they fenders made of, steel or aluminum? Same with the hood?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Take a look at the fender and headlight mounting hardware in the picture.
Yes I am aware of that and it would be great to use those mounting brackets etc. My concern however is if when using the D9 fender the headlight sits in a lower angle and because of that it might be so that adjusting the light beam low enough becomes an issue. Dont know if you see what I am asking for? Not being english speaking I struggle to explain correctly.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by car_slave
Anyone tried this?
Yes I think it will work. Check out Gilbert and his 968 TRS replica on this forum. In the early days of that car it was set up like you describe if I remember correctly.

Regards
Peder
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Yes I am aware of that and it would be great to use those mounting brackets etc. My concern however is if when using the D9 fender the headlight sits in a lower angle and because of that it might be so that adjusting the light beam low enough becomes an issue. Dont know if you see what I am asking for? Not being english speaking I struggle to explain correctly.
From what I have read of others doing this, if you just shove a headlight in, and fit the lense flush, the beams aim too high (like points at the roofs of cars). Our headlight hole is tilted more.

The D9 Fender is molded off of a fender that was 968 to 993 mated, and used to mold the fiber glass.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...version-2.html

Personally I like the small cut with the bucket. This would probably be more accurate, but look more like a 993 fender which then ruins the original 968 lines.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PF
I completely understand. I don't have first hand knowledge of the fit and finish of the D9 fenders - have read where the headlight angle is 'high' as well. I do not know of a solution.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for your tips and info.

Seems hard to get hands on experience with the D9 fenders and 993 headlight operation.
When reading the thread posted by tuareg it seems it is an option to fit only the 993 lens together with a modern light bezel. This might be an option even though I would just want to fit a complete 993 headlight.

I will try to search for more info.

It sure would be nice to get hold of the owner of that Coupe in Norway (close to me) and get info from him/her....

Please let me know if you find good info.

Regards
Peder
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by touareg
From what I have read of others doing this, if you just shove a headlight in, and fit the lense flush, the beams aim too high (like points at the roofs of cars). Our headlight hole is tilted more.

The D9 Fender is molded off of a fender that was 968 to 993 mated, and used to mold the fiber glass.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...version-2.html

Personally I like the small cut with the bucket. This would probably be more accurate, but look more like a 993 fender which then ruins the original 968 lines.

Thanks for posting the link and photo. Looking at the other photos, it seems to me that the basic lines were kept for the 968 rather than incorporating the rise of the 993 fender. This may explain why there is no bucket assembly for the headlight to mount to. Without the mounting bucket it seems hard to establish the relative angle for the headlights to establish the aim/direction.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Took a few pics today, posting a single photo below for those that might be subscribed to this thread.

For reference, there is a level built into the 993 headlight which I assume is used together with the headlight leveling motor/switch assembly to make fine tune adjustments to the headlights.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Took a few pics today, posting a single photo below for those that might be subscribed to this thread.

For reference, there is a level built into the 993 headlight which I assume is used together with the headlight leveling motor/switch assembly to make fine tune adjustments to the headlights.
Thanks Jay.

Good info in your thread. The D9 fenders seem to have a slightly bigger bump than stock 968 and at the same time the headlight sits further into the fender kinda like the lower part of the headlight is further in and because of that the angle is increased compared to stock 968. However I am not sure it is enought to get it to work correctly which is what I am trying to find out.
Best thing for me would be to come in contact with someone who has made this conversion that was willing to share info.

Regards
Peder
Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Peder.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Default D9 fenders 993 headlights succesful

Ok so after about 2,5 years on jackstands my 968 clubsport is now finished and now in 968 Turbo S tribute guise.
My plan all along was to go for the 993 headlights like Porsches 968 Roadster concept and since Deutsch nine had made fenders for it I went for it.
As we all know there were alot of unknowns to get it to work and none hade info on a succesful conversion.
I managed to get it right and in working order and passed the annual MOT without issues. The amount of hours involved and fabrication necessary is extensive and if one feels they can not do the work themselves I would pass on the idea since it would be seriously expensive. Below is a pic on my finished car and I will try to post pictures and info on what I did so if anyone wants to tackle this in the future here is info on how I did it and I hope it will be helpful. Since I cant seem to post multiple pictures it will be many single posts but anyway here we go.

I will try to answer any questions and will chime in when ever I have time.

/Peder 🇸🇪

Last edited by PF; 10-02-2019 at 04:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PF:
Jay Wellwood (10-05-2019), mj951 (10-22-2019), Paul Waterloo (10-02-2019)

Quick Reply: 993 headlight conversion adjustability