Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Is it just me or are the ads getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, inasmuch as I am banned from OT and P&C, what benefit do I get for paying that you guys don't?
Maybe I am paying to be punished for being someone who resists being bullied and getting nothing for my $.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
I am starting to get click bait ads, pop ups telling me my computer is infected. Redirect ads that close rennlist and tell me I won money, or the site hanging because it cant load ads from an ad server. This is only on rennlist.

Starting to feel like the fake news sites, with way too many ads.
I do run into this as well; At times even loading some of the pages is a monumental task.

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Very simple, pay for the membership. Looking at what one gets out of this site, it's a small price to pay.
Does the [premium] Member experience differ in regards to ads? That would seem to be a benefit that should be listed, no?

I have a hard time paying for an experience which is already a bit questionable. Maybe that will change.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparboy72
I do run into this as well; At times even loading some of the pages is a monumental task.Does the [premium] Member experience differ in regards to ads? That would seem to be a benefit that should be listed, no?

I have a hard time paying for an experience which is already a bit questionable. Maybe that will change.
Paid members don't deal with pop ups.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Paid members don't deal with pop ups.
Thanks for the clarity, I'll bite; when I clicked "membership" after logging in, I did finally see this noted:

Our membership provides:
- Fewer Advertisements!
- Access to the Rennlist Classifieds, Forum Marketplace, and the Member to Member Classifieds Forum
- Expanded private message inbox (up to 10,000)
- Extra functionality! Post calendar events, post polls, go “Invisible”, close threads, and more
- Member Galleries to see what the community is up to
- Exclusive access to Off Topic & Rennlist Member Help Forums
- Unlimited file attachments
- Seeing “Who’s Online” with a Members Only tool!
- Ability to customize User Titles and Signatures
- A bigger profile picture and personal avatar
- A pair of Rennlist decals in your choice of color offered upon purchase of membership.
(red, black, silver, white, blue, yellow)
Old 02-26-2017, 04:43 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I was getting really annoying ads on Rennlist that would totally disrupt Microsoft Edge browser and it would automatically scroll to the bottom of the page and then pop open a new window for Adidas running shoes on the SportChek website.

It was somewhat intermittent and at first I assumed was a bug or perhaps even malware on my side, but this would only happen on Rennlist.

Switching to Firefox with adblocker and NoScript solved everything and then some.

...also, I never got any Rennlist decals with membership?!!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 PM
hb253
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
So, inasmuch as I am banned from OT and P&C, what benefit do I get for paying that you guys don't?
Maybe I am paying to be punished for being someone who resists being bullied and getting nothing for my $.
OT can be a nice distraction once in a while. P&C is dominated by people who gleefully vilify "libtards". If that's your thing, it's certainly worth paying for membership.

Hugo
Old 02-26-2017, 06:26 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hb, you nailed it! But they pulled my "libtard" card and sent me back to the reasonable world to stew in ….hey wait…..everybody is stewing….that is zero fun.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

So what's this all about? I just started getting ads for the first time ever this morning and it's pissing me off. Is that the way it's supposed to be for members? Why had I never gotten them before?

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are the ads getting worse?