968 Forum 1992-1995

Cup 1 Original vs Italian Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
That is a myth. The repos are made in Italy but they bend easily. I had a set.
Originally Posted by ravenpower
...I searched and found the brand that made em ' millemiglia'. I did phone and talked with the owner that told me that they no longer produce then and that they haven't any stock anymore. He told me they also sold the mould to another company and he did me the contact. They still produce them in small quantities.
Hope this help
Thanks for clearing it up, Jeff. And yes Raven, that name sounds familiar so I believe we're talking about the same thing. I hope you find/found wheels you like.

-V
Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The originals, or at least some of them, are indeed made in Italy.

They are probably made by Speedline, considering Porsche's frequent outsourcing to them in that era (they still do). It is unlikely Porsche had Mille Miglia produce them, as I don't think Porsche has ever outsourced wheels to Mille Miglia.

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
I could be way off here, but my understanding was that the OEM Cup wheels were made in Italy, and that the manufacturer made additional wheels without the Porsche IDs on them. So that would mean that there are "non-Porschefied" wheels out there, made by the OEM to the same specs (minus the part number and valve stem details) as the original equipment.
I cannot speak for the Cup wheels, but there are instances of this.

The first one is the ATS-made Phonedial. ATS bought the rights (to the design) to produce them under the ATS name in four-bolt 4x108 fitment.

The other instance would be the current offering of "star" style wheels offered by Otto Fuchs GmbH. I can only assume that Fuchsfelge has bought the rights to produce the wheels under their own name in original and new sizes. Perhaps Fuchsfelge has owned the design all along, who knows?

Originally Posted by ravenpower
' millemiglia'. I did phone and talked with the owner that told me that they no longer produce then and that they haven't any stock anymore.
Sending PM regarding your talk with Mille Miglia.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Here are the differences between the 17" dia Genuine Porsche Cup 1 wheels that where an option on the 968 ( 1992 & 1993) & standard on the 1993 968CS as opposed to the aftermarket Mille Miglia Cup 1 lower quality copies that were made by Mille Miglia to suite the aftermarket ( mainly 964 )

Genuine Porsche Cup 1's for a 968 }

Fronts = 17" dia X 7.5" wide X 65 ET , weight = 10.6KG

Rears = 17" dia X 9" wide X 55 ET , weight = 11.8KG

----------------------------------

The closest Mille Miglia Cup 1 replica wheel to those dimensions }

Fronts = 17" dia X 7.5" wide X 52 ET , weight = 11.3KG

Rears = 17" dia X 9" wide X 47 ET , weight = 12.7 KG

-----------------------------------

So first of all the above dimensions are different , the" offsets" ( ET ) are not the same both front & rear

Then the weights , the Mille Miglia replicas are heavier ( more unsprung weight ) = not good

Now onto strength , the Mille Miglia wheels are easier to bend/twist when hitting a pothole , we have found over the last 20 + years ( at our workshop) that the Genuine Porsche 17" dia Cup 1's & Cup 2's on either a Porsche 968 , 928GTS or on a 964 tend to resist bending , where as the aftermarket Mille Miglia 17" dia Cup 1 & Cup 2 wheels bend & even worse they twist in relation to the 5 spokes ( not fixable = throwaway ) , and in the last 5 to 10 years they have almost now completely disappeared on Porsche's we service & repair

The last set were saw was late last year on a 1988 951 & all 4 Mille Miglia wheels were bent & twisted , what a mess & the owner ( once we pointed out the reason for the vibrations ) threw them out ( scrap )

We have seen the odd Genuine Porsche Cup 1 wheel with a slight bent rim , but never twisted in relation to its 5 spokes , so that tells a lot in regards to overall quality, but to be fair to Mille Miglia all those decades ago , they only made these copies to respond to a demand to supply a wheel that looked a bit like the genuine Porsche road wheel , but a lot less expensive ( fraction of the price )

When you have a Genuine Porsche Cup 1 wheel & a Mille Miglia copy next to each other the differences are very apparent , the edges on the Genuine one are much smoother & the spokes are slightly different in shape ( not as organic in shape ) , the paint finish on the Genuine Porsche ones ( made by SpeedLine of Italy ) hence the SL cast marking , is ( from new ) very high quality & the casting finish of the Genuine Cup 1 wheel is much smoother , meaning they were more expensive to make & being that the Genuine ones are lighter & stronger , thats another quality expense in manufacture

And yes on the inside of the Genuine Porsche Cup wheels they have raised Porsche part numbers ( 965 362 124 05 & 965 362 128 00 ) etc & Porsche Logo & the SL ( speedline symbol )

On the outside of the rim they have the width & off sets ( raised cast ) on either side of the tyre ( tire ) valve stem hole , where as the cheaper Mille copy has no such raised offset & width numbers

Something that is very important in relation to the front wheel offsets is ( IF ) the said 968 , 951 or even a 944S2 came with the Bigger front Brembo brakes ( 944 Turbo S brakes ) as an expensive " Factory " option , then in this case Porsche used the very expensive very different front stub axles ( spindles in USA speak ) and these front spindles / stub axles meant that a 65 ET ( off set ) front road wheel HAD to be used , any lower offset , say like the Mille Miglia 52 mm ET would push the rim 13 mm ( 1/2 " ) outwards more than it should be = lots of tram tracking because the scrub radius is way out

Where as the more common ( read cheaper/ standard ) smaller front Brembo's were fitted by Porsche ( NON Turbo S brakes ) ) on a 944S2 , 951 1987> , 968 , these different stub axles ( spindles ) meant that the standard 16" dia front wheel was a 55 mm ET , so in this case the aftermarket offsets of the Mille Miglia that were 52mm ET were more suitable to the scrub radius as opposed to the 65mm ET

Remember when the wheels mentioned above were new decades ago you got what you paid for , nothing more & nothing less

Last edited by JET951; 07-30-2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Good stuff Bruce
Old 07-31-2016, 11:55 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Good stuff Bruce
^ +968
Old 07-31-2016, 09:58 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a list of the best and worst wheels from a wheel rebuilder/repairer. Mille Miglia was the worst.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 PM
mick dundee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 968CS wheels have the cup 1 correct offset numbers as Jet 951 { Bruce} has posted and the 993XXXXXX. But there is ITALY also stamped. The raised numbers are also on the outside as per Cup wheels. Just saying.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by snb13
I read a list of the best and worst wheels from a wheel rebuilder/repairer. Mille Miglia was the worst.
While they aren't something I would ever use on the track, there are some far worse wheels out there.

Some of the current crop of wheels made in China have some pretty poor quality / quality control.

Take a gander on Tirerack - a good 75% of wheels are made there. That's not an offense to Tirerack - it's just the way the industry is headed.

Even OE wheels, BBS, OZ outsource to China now..
Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 AM
JET951
Drifting

Hi Mick , you probably have the genuine Porsche Cup 2 wheels , because the Cup 1 wheels ( all made in Italy by Speedline for Porsche ) have a 965 prefix

The Cup 2 wheels ( they do look similar ) have the 993 prefix , like you mentioned

Cup 1 wheels ( 17" dia ) installed by Porsche up to & including the 1993 year model ( 965 prefix )

Cup 2 wheels ( 17" dia ) installed by Porsche in 1994 & 1995 year models ( 993 prefix )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive
Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 AM
mick dundee
Track Day

Thanks Bruce.You are spot on,.again... My CS is a September 94 build , delivered to Porsche Willoughby in January 95.

Cheers, Mick

P.S So the myth is true. Some Porsche rims were made in ITALY.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 AM
JET951
Drifting

Hi mick , Porsche , like Mercedes , BMW, VW etc etc have no choice , the EU states very clearly they must source their individual car components from all ( as many ) EU member states as possible even if the parent company is originally a German company , so companies like Bosch ( example only ) will set up manufacturing factories in other countries ( like Spain etc ) or Sachs will set a manufacturing plant in the Czech Republic or a better example Valeo ( french company ) will supply Alternators for 911Sc, 911 3.2 , 3.3 Turbo , Boxters & 996 911 or Brembo ( Italian company ) etc etc , so in the case of wheels, Porsche in the early 1990's had quite a few wheel manufacturing companies that they ( Porsche ) purchased from & one of them was Speedline & Speedline is an Italian wheel manufacturer ( high quality one )

My personal favorite 1990's Porsche wheels are the very famous 18" dia ( Cup 1 Style ) Speedline 3 piece wheels made by Speedline for Porsche and were fitted ( in different off sets & widths to each model ) to the }

968 Turbo S

911 Turbo ( 1993 3.6 Turbo )

964 RS Mark II ( 1993 3.8L model )

Google up photo's of the above Porsche cars and you will see the Cup 1 influence in these now iconic Porsche wheels , Porsche & Speedline were both so happy with these road wheels , Speedline were allowed to have a sticker placed on the outer ( polished ) rim with the words " Speedline For Porsche ", never happened before

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive
Old 08-04-2016, 07:06 PM
mick dundee
Track Day

Thanks Bruce, great information for all 968 owners.
I found a site in the UK. www.968clubsport.com . Click " performance logo" on the home page.
Great car...ordanary OLD driver.

Good luck this weekend...Full wets and back off the boost . Have fun.
Cheers, Mick.

Quick Reply: Cup 1 Original vs Italian Question