Need help appraising a 1994

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Need help appraising a 1994

Hi guys,

I am new to 968's. I am at the point in my life where I want to try out cars I grew up with. Never really thought much about the 968, especially when they were new. However, I am not looking to experience rare cars.

I'm looking at a 1994 black on gray 968 with 152K miles. It has had the shocks and clutch replaced within the past 2 years, a new DVD headunit, newer rotors, and a few other minor things.

The current owner has had it for close to 10 years. Looks pretty well taken care of.

Major outstanding issue is the heatercore seems to be leaking. There is a leak in the passenger side footwell area.

Based on the brief description, approx. how much do you think this car is worth? Unfortunately, that's all I know about the car as of now. Hoping to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally dislike car listings in which seller cherry picks a couple of recent maintenance items when there's a million more things that can go wrong if not addressed. I despise even more when one of them is a stereo. Most stereos are installed by technically inept people who hack the electrical system and don't properly reinstall the interior pieces, or break them. The heater core repair is a pita, I'd skip this car...
Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

I agree with you. Not a fan of aftermarket stereos. I prefer when the car hasn't taken apart because it rarely gets put back the way it was.

I am completely open to considering this car a project car. I can get parts pretty cheap, too. My friend owns a shop.

He listed it for $11K and didn't get any bites. Wondering what I should offer.

He is also completely open to me getting a PPI done on it, too.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
LTDzak
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a similar, but better maintained 968 a couple months ago, PM me if you would like.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Here's a list of the maintenance:

Serviced within 10,000 miles
• New Clutch
• New Timing belt, belt tensioners and rollers
• Balance belt
• oil and filter
• DME relay
• New hatch struts
• Stainless Steal Clutch line
• New clutch slave and master cylinders
• Gear box serviced, synchros 1 - 6 replace along with snap ring, pinion bearing. Gear box refilled w/ redline
• Front tires 225/40 ZR /18 Rear 265/35/18
Added performance equipment
K&N air filter
Koni Yellow adjustables
lowering springs
Drilled rotors
NEW Porter field RS4 brake pads
RS Barn stage 1 racing chip
Drilled airbox with funnel tubes
18 Porsche Turbo twist wheels
Old 07-15-2016, 09:06 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

3 years ago I bought my 968 with everything done to be used for DE, lots of mods, 10+ years of receipts (maintenance, not just upgrades) and it had 139k on it. Receipts covered it from 90K I think.

Anyways since then only needed a front end re-seal, rack repair and new tires.

I spent 10k on it. With work another 2k.

A lot of people say prices are going up, but I would think that is for low mileage original cars, of course a rising tide lifts all boats, but car with that many miles, I wouldn't pay more than 10k myself, and I would get a PPI to see what work needs to be done.

I see no mention of variocam, fuel injectors probably need to be rebuilt, and I would like to see a warranty or something on the transmission rebuild.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:10 PM
LTDzak
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg

I see no mention of variocam, fuel injectors probably need to be rebuilt, and I would like to see a warranty or something on the transmission rebuild.

What are the signs that the fuel injectors need to be rebuilt? Rough idle?

My very recent buying experience was similar to yours.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

I took a look at the car yesterday. I left a little less than excited.

After looking it over, there are a lot of random things that need to be done on it, and I did notice at least one panel has been painted. I asked the seller if it has ever had paint work but he said no. Things like the roof antenna, door trim where the panel and window meets, front turn signals are cracked, and the sideskirts need to be attached properly. The passenger side was the worst. Random chips and scratches.

The clutch pedal wasn't very fluid. It grabbed pretty high in the stroke, too. The power wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be similar to my E36 M3. Not the case.

The shifter didn't feel very firm. Kind of sloppy.

The car was overheating a little from the heater core leak. I don't know how long the core has been leaking.

152K miles.

Brakes felt the best.

I'm not opposed to a project car, but not sure how much approximate this car is worth.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I took a look at the car yesterday. I left a little less than excited.

After looking it over, there are a lot of random things that need to be done on it, and I did notice at least one panel has been painted. I asked the seller if it has ever had paint work but he said no. Things like the roof antenna, door trim where the panel and window meets, front turn signals are cracked, and the sideskirts need to be attached properly. The passenger side was the worst. Random chips and scratches.

The clutch pedal wasn't very fluid. It grabbed pretty high in the stroke, too. The power wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be similar to my E36 M3. Not the case.

The shifter didn't feel very firm. Kind of sloppy.

The car was overheating a little from the heater core leak. I don't know how long the core has been leaking.

152K miles.

Brakes felt the best.

I'm not opposed to a project car, but not sure how much approximate this car is worth.
In these situations, since you met the owner, you can make a gut check if he is serious about selling with reasonable negotiation or delusional on price .

If you think he is serious and willing to negotiate with reason, get a proper PPI from a shop that knows these cars and will quote you on anything that needs fixing. could be 2k to 5k worth of work.

Dropping the car price, unfortunately to dismantler prices/you fix it up, since these cars do not have the cache yet of the 911s.

These cars that need fixing only have the value someone really is willing to pay for them, it is a buyer's not seller's market. You have to find the right buyer.

None of us here could really tell you what the car is worth, but from your description of it not being really that well taken care of, I assume the worst and would think 5k. A dismantler wanting to make a profit, 4k. Someone who knows nothing about these cars 9k?

As for power, what is that saying HP sells cars, Torque wins racer? HP on the car is 236HP and 225 torque. With age I am sure it is lower.

If you have never driven his car, peak Torque is around 4k almost all the way to 6k where it then starts to drop at redline..

So if you listen to the engine, sounds like it is revving too high an shift gears at 3k each time, you are probably around the 170ftlbs shifting, wasting a lot of acceleration I also cruise around with the car in 4k, when driving in Boston, so I have max torque ready to go!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a '94 968 for $6,800 about 5 years ago. Car had about $20k plus receipts. Work included pinion bearings twice, water pump, belts, shocks, etc., etc. I put $6k into it to get it somewhat DE ready, but the transaxle was roaring again. New rebuilt trans and a clutch now in, probably another $4k there. So I put over $10k into a $7,000 car and it's probably worth $9k. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Been saying it all along. Doesn't take much for a sub $10k 968 to become a $20k 968. In the end it might be worth $15k fully sorted.
Best to find a nice, well stored example.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Yea the one I just bought is beautiful but I'm already looking at $2500 in maintenance to make it perfect and I then added up roughly $7500 in upgrades that i would like to do.

Quick Reply: Need help appraising a 1994