Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Why hasn't anyone bought this Yellow 968 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
There were a couple of owners after me I bought from original owner who ordered it in this special color kept it very nice as did I. I know the car got a lot of track use after me which is not necessarily a bad thing as we all choose how to enjoy our cars.
Rich
Rich - was it in your possession when I was inquiring about it some years back? That would have probably been in late '08 or early '09.

Cliff
Old 05-31-2016, 03:10 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Trev,

Ray owned speed yellow coupe #4, now living in New Jersey, not this car.

Jeff
And to be clear, this is NOT a speed yellow car right? Custom color/order?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:50 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
And to be clear, this is NOT a speed yellow car right? Custom color/order?
Correct, this is a special Color to Sample solid/Code 98 coupe, #10 of 10, In Sun Yellow. Learn more here:

http://968register.org/optionalequip...lor-to-sample/
Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

Cliff not sure if I still owned it when you were looking your comment about it sitting around for a while and then being sold for a lot less is not my sales history I got close to my full asking price and sold pretty quickly to a nice guy for northern Florida if memory serves.
Rich
Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Cliff not sure if I still owned it when you were looking your comment about it sitting around for a while and then being sold for a lot less is not my sales history I got close to my full asking price and sold pretty quickly to a nice guy for northern Florida if memory serves.
Rich
Thanks Rich - was just curious. It was indeed located in northern Florida when I was inquiring. He was a nice guy - can't recall his name, but he stated the exact same condition that you report the car was in and spoke very highly of both you and the care you had given the car.

I suppose that since that time the car has had less attention given to its care, but that's each owners prerogative.

Cliff
Old 06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 968gene
Richard Petty said to make a small fortune in racing, you need to start with a large one...the same sort of philosophy might apply to this car's restoration cost and ultimate value. l
I talked with the seller last month and he sent me some pictures, but none that showed the right side. I am glad I did not purchase that one, eventhough my wife and I like the yellow. I would want to do a full repaint. It almost looks like the clear coat is gone and needs a respray.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Car would need a complete respray, and some body work. The rear of the car had a nasty little dent in the crease above the passenger tail light. The front bumper might need to be replaced, it is cracked and the bat wing is held on by self tapping screws. The passenger fender look like it was not repaired properly before paint because it was super wavy. The bumper, passenger fender, and hood were all out of alignment. And while doing a repaint every seal on the car should be replaced.

Knowing all of that I was still interested, but the issues I found with the motor kept me from getting close to a price that would have been agreeable to the seller.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Knowing all of that I was still interested, but the issues I found with the motor kept me from getting close to a price that would have been agreeable to the seller.
I think you have our attention now.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Raj,

There were a few things:

- Upon start up there is a long lag before oil pressure builds, we are talking 5 to 7 seconds of the engine running at zero bar. Asking the seller how long it has been doing this, years. And it is not the gauge being slow to react, the sounds the engine was making are the same sounds these motors make when they sit for extended periods of time and the oil pump primes. What sort of damage has been done on hundreds of starts of zero oil pressure? Hard to say, but the bottom end needs to be pulled apart to investigate, and then one needs to diagnose what was causing the problem to begin with.

- Doing a compression test, the numbers were low across the board, but fairly consistent, except for #2 that was down 25 or 30%.

- Cylinders #2 and #3 were filled with oil, and it wasn't from the vario cam sensor gasket, it was coming from inside the head. Maybe just the valve guides, but the head needs to come off and be checked / refreshed.

- Driving the car it was gutless, I drove there in my 2.7L 944 Turbo, and that car makes more torque off boost than this 968 did at any point in the rev range.

- Had oil leaks from the front, back, drivers side, passenger side, and center of the motor. Ok, not exactly sure where the leaks where coming from, but everywhere pretty much sums it up.

- Engine over heats after 2 laps of track work, I didn't experience this myself, but the seller said it over heated after just a couple laps of VIR, and that on hot days the car can get quite hot as well.

Throw of that together, and what do you get? My guess, a new engine / extensive rebuild.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Had the car been a clean example....it never would have backed out of my driveway....
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Ian,

All those issues with the engine and you didn't mention the one that was the biggest issue to me:

It wasn't the original engine!

The original engine was out of the car and had even more issues from what I'm told.

Our cars aren't to the point yet where the original numbers matching engine makes that much of a difference but they are getting there.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 PM
falton
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at my past issues of Excellence and found the article on the sun yellow car
Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 PM
PasAuto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone seems to criticize the condition of this car. I know everyone is always concerned about their PPI, timing belt change, clutch thickness test, etc. However very few Porsches let alone a 968 has this pedigree. Restoring this car is money well spent. It's the kind of car that can be displayed at Amelia Island or at least will be once 968's have reached classic status. Does anyone know who bought this car?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

Wow I remember when Burger came out to my house and did that shoot seems like a long time ago .
Rich
Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

It sure looked nice back then. It shows how quickly a car can deteriorate when not cared for. I'm optimistic for it's future. I heard it went out west. Difficult to read an article with all those production number errors

Quick Reply: Why hasn't anyone bought this Yellow 968 yet?