968 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Supercharger

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a post from a couple years back to no avail. I've been thinking about getting a supercharger for a while, and I'm in the market to purchase one for my '95 968. I know there's been some discussion here and there was a post that had links of the companies that sell them. I know one is 928 motorsports http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...harger_kit.php

But I forget there was another link that someone provided of another company that makes them.

If anyone knows the name (and links) I'd really appreciate if you can post them in the reply.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Design1 racing, aka flash or Bob.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Design1 racing, aka flash or Bob.
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the 968 supercharger concept was a meteor that burnt out fairly quickly...

just as our Boston area 944/968/911 supertech Jerry Pelegrino said it would.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Bob's Design1 kit is a nice piece.
He took a lot of time to make it look "factory"....and it really does blend in really well.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the 968 supercharger concept was a meteor that burnt out fairly quickly...

just as our Boston area 944/968/911 supertech Jerry Pelegrino said it would.
School me. Why? I'm a stock purist and totally happy with my base 236hp but I'm curious as to why you think this died.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
School me. Why? I'm a stock purist and totally happy with my base 236hp but I'm curious as to why you think this died.
It has been a few months, but last I checked, he is still selling them. So not sure why you say that either?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
odu just likes to drive-by the watercooled forums and take a **** on anything that doesn't involve LS-swapping your 944/968...

one of the 968 kits under development had a lot of issues but the others (928MS and Design1) are very good...
Old 11-06-2015, 02:27 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Gottcha, IF I was to wanted more horsepower I would also pursue the turbo/SC approach as I like the 3.0 just fine.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

superchargers make an *** ton of heat.....

then don't have enough innate boost to push all that hot air properly through an adequitely capbable intercooler.

the power, albeit a sizable improvement over the mild n/a, will never compare to an exhaust driven turbine.

and, just when you finally think you have things going your way,

you check the fuel consumption

and mumble horrid things to yourself - like, 'that can't be right.' and 'Jesus, guess i won't be taking this thirsty beast to Florida.'

you keep the car for a spell.... pray nothing breaks..... then decide just to sell the whole car.

v8? ain't cheap. sh_t..... maybe just get a Vette......

still,

every time i get behind the wheel, i'm giddy..... the car glides effortlessly over the tarmac

if i'm honest i smile a lot...

going up mountain passes, i find myself saying happy stuff like, 'this is ammmaaaaayyyyzzzzing.'

the rest of the time,

26.5 mpg isn't as nice as the 28.5~29 i got with the 3.0....

but you can still go very far on a tank of gas.

oh, one more thing.....

i'd be shocked if anyone's supercharger made it through a single belt/H20 pump interval before blowing up.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-06-2015 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dfheezy (10-23-2023)
Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

superchargers make an *** ton of heat.....

then don't have enough innate boost to push all that hot air properly through an adequitely capbable intercooler.

the power, albeit a sizable improvement over the mild n/a, will never compare to an exhaust driven turbine.

and, just when you finally think you have things going your way,

you check the fuel consumption

and mumble horrid things to yourself - like, 'that can't be right.' and 'Jesus, guess i won't be taking this thirsty beast to Florida.'
intercoolers don't have that much pressure drop...if you're losing more than 1-1.5psi, you've got a ****ty intercooler, not a bad SC...and the 968 kits don't make anywhere near the kind of heat my (H)Eaton puts out.

Need more boost? Stick a new pulley on there in 20 minutes time...easier than changing turbos.

and if you plumb the SC right, your average fuel economy should be more or less identical to the stock mileage since you're only boosting part time...

i'd be shocked if anyone's supercharger made it through a single belt/H20 pump interval before blowing up.
Design1's kit has been on Bob the designer's car for probably 10 years...and a bunch of other 968s too...never a failure...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Regardless of boost method, the 968 has high compression that is counter-productive IMHO of a boosted condition - Turbocharged or Supercharged.

For true optimization, the compression ratio has to be lowered to realize the potential power increases due to the knock sensors and their interaction with the timing on the 968. Because of this, mild boost levels are countered by the 968 engine management system - that's my take based on personal experience with a turbocharged 968 with stock compression. YMMV

The 928 community that has realized true performance improvements with mild boost levels without modifying the internals to lower the compression - primarily since those engines have no knock sensor activated timing controls. Of course, they could experience failure (and some have!).
Old 11-06-2015, 10:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There has been no reported failures because everyone that buys a kit has to sign something to effect of never publicly saying anything bad about it. What kind of bs is that?
There are plenty who blew their head gaskets. Ask the people who were busy cleaning the mess. Total bs, not sure why anyone would purchase a kit that comes with a gag order.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a Stage 3 supercharger on my 968 for several years and have put over 15,000 miles on it. The car now has over 62,000 miles on it, and the head gasket is original.

Bottom line, it doesn't generate problematic heat, it increases performance significantly, and it hasn't show any signs of "blowing up". The car is way, way more fun with the supercharger on it, and the added torque at low RPMs makes it immensely more driveable "around town". I have never driven a V8-powered 968, so I have no comparison, but compared to my previous 924, 944S, and stock 968 the supercharged version is head and shoulders above them all.

I did not have to sign a "gag order" to purchase it.

I did install a lower temp thermostat and fan switch, I suspect because the unit made a bit more heat, but it's not unmanageable. The temp gauge would climb to about the second mark idling in traffic on hot days, but now with the lower temp components it stays at the 9 o'clock position as it did before.

I also replaced an idler wheel because it was squealing after about 10,000 miles. It's a stock Dayco idler, so it was easy enough to come by.

From memory, that's about it. It makes changing and tensioning the belts a little more involved because I have to move the supercharger out of the way first, but I don't mind the extra 30 minutes for the performance I get.

I realize I should get a look at that head gasket after this many years, and I will probably have that addressed when I have the Variocam pads and bits inspected and replaced next spring.

I understand the previous posts are their respective posters' opinions and they are absolutely entitled to them. These are the facts of my experience with a supercharged 968.
The following users liked this post:
Andreas Undesser (05-14-2020)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:36 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tamathumper
I've had a Stage 3 supercharger on my 968 for several years and have put over 15,000 miles on it. The car now has over 62,000 miles on it, and the head gasket is original.

Bottom line, it doesn't generate problematic heat, it increases performance significantly, and it hasn't show any signs of "blowing up". The car is way, way more fun with the supercharger on it, and the added torque at low RPMs makes it immensely more driveable "around town". I have never driven a V8-powered 968, so I have no comparison, but compared to my previous 924, 944S, and stock 968 the supercharged version is head and shoulders above them all.

I did not have to sign a "gag order" to purchase it.

I did install a lower temp thermostat and fan switch, I suspect because the unit made a bit more heat, but it's not unmanageable. The temp gauge would climb to about the second mark idling in traffic on hot days, but now with the lower temp components it stays at the 9 o'clock position as it did before.

I also replaced an idler wheel because it was squealing after about 10,000 miles. It's a stock Dayco idler, so it was easy enough to come by.

From memory, that's about it. It makes changing and tensioning the belts a little more involved because I have to move the supercharger out of the way first, but I don't mind the extra 30 minutes for the performance I get.

I realize I should get a look at that head gasket after this many years, and I will probably have that addressed when I have the Variocam pads and bits inspected and replaced next spring.

I understand the previous posts are their respective posters' opinions and they are absolutely entitled to them. These are the facts of my experience with a supercharged 968.
Tama, which brand supercharger do you have?

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger