968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues

Was getting the 951 tuned on a dyno last night and during the 11th run the clutch went. The pedal is stiff as can be and you can't depress it.

I was almost there! We had just finished 15 PSI tuning and was going to 18 PSI.....but I digress.

Okay.....277 HP and 288 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels on 15 PSI! And it runs sweet!

Had it towed and it's at my house, looked at the inspection window this morning and I see the slave "push pin" that acts on the clutch fork is hitting the window and no longer engaged in the clutch fork. That's why the pedal is stiff as can be, the "push pin" is hard up against a piece of metal.

The slave cylinder looks new, but I don't know this for sure. The clutch is brand new. Here is a picture from one of Raj's clutch replacement procedure post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...acement-2.html

Here is a picture of my 968, I can see that the slave push pin is engaged in the forks:

On the 951, it is literally at left side of the inspection window, about 9 o'clock hard up against the metal circle.

Before I go buy any parts, I would like to figure out what is wrong. Unfortunately, I have a 3" exhaust from the turbo in my way!!!

I was thinking of just backing the slave cylinder mounting bolts back a little and see what I can do with the push pin. Is there a chance it will re-engage? The clutch pedal is all the way up. I had no issues with the clutch in the past few weeks.

Any other advice?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Okay....it's not the clutch slave cylinder. Dropped the starter and it's whatever the clutch fork pushes on....it no longer pushes on. I can cycle the clutch fork back and forth, the clutch springs are no longer pushing on it......will have to figure out what to do...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I am crying now...okay, I'm over it....but the 951 is different from the 968, there is no access plate like the 968.....I either have a broken clutch fork or a snap ring that is gone.

Pull the rear end, pull the torque tube, open up the clutch. My friend who has a life has offered it to me.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice, use as much of his life as you can.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, not familiar with the 951. But is it possible that the shaft that the fork rides on has come out of it's mount. Or has bad needle bearings. Either would allow slop in the linkage and let the rod from the slave come out of the ball socket in the fork. Is it possible to pull the shaft out like on the 968. Or, at least make sure it is still in the tranny. Maybe they didn't lock the fork shaft it in place with the bolt, and the shaft has come out of the housing?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Pull the rear end, pull the torque tube, open up the clutch.
Paul, the more work you have to do, the more fun it is. Ask me how I know........
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Having it towed over to my friend's house tonight, he has a lift, been studying the procedure.....doesn't seem that hard. Hopefully it will be done by Monday if not sooner.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There seems to be an issue between the throw out bearing and your fork. Unfortunately, with a turbo, there is a lot more work involved.

Can you explain exactly when this happened? While changing gears?

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues