Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 headlight failure. Help wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM
ken968m030
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 headlight failure. Help wanted!

When I switch on my headlamps, only drivers side light will go open.
and at this time only positioning lamp is on,both drivers side and passenger side headlight (low or high beam) is not on.

I checked fuse.and fuse was OK.
And then I changed headlight big rely to new one.

but Still does not work properly.
What does this problem of the headlight motor?
Someone, please tell me how to fix.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

These motors have a set of contactors in them that provide the logic to raise or lower them. When these get worn, the motor may not respond to the raise or lower signal.

Try a careful spin of the headlight motor manual wheel and see if the lamp responds. Be aware that it might spit the opposite way or spin unexpectedly. A bad contact in this device will prevent a lowered lamp form raising or a raised lamp from lowering, depending on which contact is affected. Often a small movement of the motor causes the connection to be temporarily restored and the lamp works properly, generally only once.

The contacts can be cleaned or the headlight motor replaced.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Ken- I am buried in personel stuff and work but if you get stuck I have pics of the assembly and things to look at I could dig up in a couple of days or sooner. I think I have a couple of motors around also if you need one.

Cheers, Mike
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
ken968m030
3rd Gear

Thank you, Joel.
I will try manual pop-up. and check headlight.

And Thank you, Mike too.
I want to see pics of the assembly.
Well,If I fix headlight motor,do I have to remove fender and bumper?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
ken968m030
3rd Gear

I did manual pop-up, but never lamp responds.
In this case, What is wrong?
I bought used headlight-motor on eBay.
I will change it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Ken

I found an old post I put out with a vast pile of pics and drawings- here it is.

Read the headlight posts and thought maybe a pic of the assembly without the fender on the car may help. In these pics the light was in the down motor position. I pulled the triangle release and pulled the light up and released the pin so it locked the light in the up position. I thought this was cool and purposefully done to allow a driver to put the lights up manually if the motor failed... either way in the pics you can see the motor, with the cap still on, the release triangle thingy, etc... Cheers, Mike

OK- so I couldn't find any other pics so I will expand on the ones I have. With the light up ans locked using the triangle pin - the light is hindged by a 2 arm pivot bracket the RED line. You can see the hardstop pin on top of the triangle lock pin holding it up. It moves in and out by pulling. The BLUE line is the lift/lower arm attached to the motor via a rod with swivel ends. Look close you can see it. the two are attached with a spring. Remove the srping and the light goes up and down freely without motor movement. The blue arm is hard attached to the motor.

Next pic the blue arrow points to the push rod attachment. Under the dust cap of the red arrow is an adjustment **** to set the full up and full down positions.

In the full down position you can almost see the limitations of travel. On my car when the light goes up the triangle pin hits the hardstop arm on the hindge arm of the light, which I believe helps with vibrations and rattles.

No gravity, a spring, with the motor arm hard mounted to the push rod of the motor. WOnder if years make a difference- this is a 92
Here is more info on the lights and adjustments

Hope this helps- Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 03-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ken968m030
I did manual pop-up, but never lamp responds.
In this case, What is wrong?
I bought used headlight-motor one Bay.
I will change it.
Couple of things to try - the triangle handle does not rotate but pulls out in the direction of the yellow arrow in the pics. pull it out and see if the light can be pulled up by hand. Pull handle, pullup light, release pin and the light should stay up. If it does not come up or stay up something may be broken. The **** on the motor is for adjustment and will not put the light all the way up, i do not think. Hope this helps.

cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: 968 headlight failure. Help wanted!