Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
...which guy?

post # 41.

Hell, I'd happily do it just to shave a bit of weight.

Also, I reject the entire concept of "noise pollution".

my new exhaust weighs about 33 pounds compared to godknowswhat that other piece of crap weighed.

it was incredible.

my car has an aftermarket, 5.0 Ford resonator that in concert with the hooker maxflow....

sounds amazing, like a 4.0 V6 running a tuned exhaust. a beloved 928 guy drove my car....

Originally Posted by Ispeed
I got to drive this car last night, so I will give my report on the sound.

It has a big deep sound, and It sounds to me like a tweaked 911 six cylinder sound. It's good stuff. I haven't heard many 944/951/968 exhausts to compare it to, because there aren't many out there (like 928s) unless you know someone with one.
I have gone through a bunch of combinations on the 928 to come up with what I like for sound.

You guys are pretty quick to jump on someone like it's high school all over again... The OP is a guy who is excited about coming up with a good sounding exhaust. He puts a lot of miles on his 968 too, as if it's a new daily driver. That's cool in my book.
All of us here are excitable and enthusiastic, or we wouldn't be here. Just try to be positive and grow up some. I have become more of a lurker now, letting everyone else sling the mud and octane.

Anyways, there it is...

they didn't even start using cats in europe until 1 year before my car was made.

my top speed went from 145 to 163 on 275-35-18s, as i have mentioned about 400 times.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-04-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM
959Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't irrelevant at all. You're saying I'm an *** for polluting the air. But people driving around in catless carbureted cars create thousands of times as much pollutants per mile. So either you have to decry everybody driving a TR6 or a Challenger or a 600 Grosser as heinous, terrible criminals, or you will have to contradict your own argument.

Mmmm actually now that you mention it, the state of Florida says it's about to be. Barely more than a year to go.

Because it's none of your damn business how I configure my own car.
Woah woah woah, easy there skipper, no need to get butthurt. And it should be everyone's business when progressive states like California enact an emissions program for the benefit of the WORLD. You need to get out of your box my friend since there are people around you that may not care for you, your children, or your children's children, but they're doing things to improve your/their futures. NOT doing your part is anti-American.

I'm sorry, was it the dealers' idea to purposely destroy engines in good working condition? They could have been kept in the cars they were already in, which could have been repaired and resold, or they could have been put into other cars needing new engines, or they could have been parted out to repair other engines. No, in fact the dealers did NOT come up with the idea of destroying goods in their possession, it was mandated by law. So okay, maybe Obama isn't directly responsible for killing cars, but only in the sense that he's responsible through Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.
You know, I read this somewhere. Oh wait, FRPorscheman said that already Mr. Trump.

Not in this country, comrade Lenin. We still have a wisp of property rights left.
In Mother Russia, property owns you. And again, I read this before. Earlier when YOU apparently said destruction of goods in possession of the dealers was mandated by law. You do realize that is what FRPorscheman said, right Stalin?

The dealers weren't forced to buy the cars from the people, they had incentive. If they wanted to outright buy the car from people and tune it and resell it was completely under their jurisdiction, just that they wanted to get money and take older cars off the road. It's like you're saying you ordered delivery pizza and had to pay for their delivery. Well, duh. If you want it delivered you either have to pay them or a friend. If you want to participate in CARS, the dealer has to participate in the program or pay you the same you'd get from the program and try to resell the car themselves rather than junk it.

Nothing, blah blah blah talking about Chevys and Triumphs
Then why are you referring to it when discussing 968 emissions? If your 968 spews more garbage than my 968, you're doing something wrong.

The 968 DOES have SEFI, did you not know this?
I misread your post.

I'm sorry...what?? How the hell did you draw THAT conclusion from what I wrote?
I forgive you.

It's elementary my dear Watson. If you couldn't catch it, I don't know what to say. I think you should be more concerned about what you are saying than what I am, since it seems like you couldn't draw the intelligible deduction and see your thought all the way through.

Originally Posted by odurandina
who is this guy ??

in Massachusetts, shops replace old dead cats on old cars with new ones. on a few cars they install test pipes as requested, usually for what will likely be odd/non-daily driven cars anyway. these types of cars are usually of the variety that would be kept in very good tune, since they are likely to be "performance" oriented cars... but, there's no inspection for emissions in Massachusetts after 15 years. no visual inspection and no smog check. and what do the feds say ? quite frankly i could give a hoot. the overall % of these types of cars being daily driven on the new england roads or anywhere else, for that matter, past 15 years old has got to be a very small fraction of the total. it's powerplants and homes that are the big polluters, big coal plants, oil petro generating plants, and heating oil in people's homes -- not 15 year old, 4 cylinder P-cars in perfect tune.
I'm a member of this community that has been around way longer than you, young-grasshopper. And besides, you're speaking out of your rear if you say your car is in perfect tune. No disrespect meant, just stating the facts. Now if you're a master technician then I will eat my words but anything short of that, no dice.

As for that last part about big polluters being the big picture, you're missing the bigger picture. Everyone must contribute to effect the world. I am far from being a tree-hugger but I feel that we all must do our part. Just because your car doesn't have to pass emissions testing in a few months doesn't mean that you shouldn't care what your emissions are. Just saying.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

odurandina, so now you're saying you removed your cat to save weight? Come on... I've held cats that weigh little more than pipe.

JDS, it is completely my business if a) you post it on a forum I read, and/or b) it affects me (the air I breathe). Cheap shots like calling me a communist hurt you more than me.

The bottom line is, you guys can't expect to do something illegal like take off your cat and come onto a public forum and expect no one to complain.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

my top speed went from 145 to 163 on 275-75-18s, as i have mentioned about 400 times.
if removing the cat was all you did, and all your car could muster is 145MPH..then you my friend....had a clogged cat. My car ran much quicker then that in stock trim with 18" 993 Hollow Spokes (My buddys E46 M3 running along side & GPS Confirmed).

*I think you meant 275/35...as a 275 75 tires would an suv/truck size.

As i've said, doing a before and after dyno would tell you that removing the cat is hardly worth the pollution. I swapped my cat for a high flow cat. A test pipe just wasnt worth the noice/air pollution.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

typo. 25.6" tire. 275-35-18. the cat was only maybe 1/2 bad.

by changing to the correct diameter testpipe, slightly larger diameter tire and running the big glasspack muffler with the pipe running straight down the middle. now it makes almost enough power to remind me what kind of power the car needs under the hood. 250 hp is still a joke.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

The 968 DOES have SEFI, did you not know this?
Does it? I assumed it was still batch fired.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having held a factory cat in hand I can assure you it weighs 10 times that of the weight of a test pipe. Between deleting the cat and deleting 4 or 5 more things that add dead weight is a huge performance boost. Add it all up and pretty soon you have got rid of as much weight as what the entire transaxle weighs.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

all i can tell you all is the exhaust that came off my '94 was extremely heavy guage steel. we all know it has to be for the vibrations that this big four cylinder motor makes... i estimate the cat was about 20 pounds and the rest of the exhaust maybe 65~70 pounds more. i heard the guys quoting short numbers.

they quote numbers that i find VERY hard to believe... they didn't have my old exhaust in their hands.

my electric seats were also very heavy. changing them out for the Sparcos and doing the Deutsch Nine rear seat delete made the car feel better.

one more minor upgrade..... https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...3-project.html
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I weighed my stock exhaust system when I put in the Cargraphic 100 cell sport cat exhaust system. 55lbs as I recall, the sturdy Cargraphic system came in at 40 lbs. Other performance systems weigh less I've heard.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
I weighed my stock exhaust system when I put in the Cargraphic 100 cell sport cat exhaust system. 55lbs as I recall, the sturdy Cargraphic system came in at 40 lbs. Other performance systems weigh less I've heard.
Did you notice a difference with the cargraphic system on performance? I'm considering a 100 cell unit, rather than the stock item - looking for something a bit more free-flowing.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

all i can tell you all is the exhaust that came off my '94 was extremely heavy guage steel. we all know it has to be for the vibrations that this big four cylinder motor makes... i estimate the cat was about 20 pounds and the rest of the exhaust maybe 65~70 pounds more. i heard the guys quoting short numbers.
It's made of high grade steel because it is one of the few factory exhaust that actually lasts 15+ yrs. Not many manufacturers put in parts of such high grade. They made these babies to last. The weight of the exhaust has little if anything to do with the 4 cylinder. I am sure Porsche is using the same grade for all their other models as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rgs944
Having held a factory cat in hand I can assure you it weighs 10 times that of the weight of a test pipe. Between deleting the cat and deleting 4 or 5 more things that add dead weight is a huge performance boost. Add it all up and pretty soon you have got rid of as much weight as what the entire transaxle weighs.
You will save maybe 15-20 lbs on the exhaust at the cost of longevity. As the saying goes, there is no free lunch. You get what you pay for. Most lighter systems use lighter guage steel which will rot in 3-4 yrs max. The welds are not as good either.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

post # 41.

my new exhaust weighs about 33 pounds compared to godknowswhat that other piece of crap weighed.

it was incredible.

my car has an aftermarket, 5.0 Ford resonator that in concert with the hooker maxflow....

sounds amazing, like a 4.0 V6 running a tuned exhaust. a beloved 928 guy drove my car....

Actually, I like my piece of crap exhaust and find the sound rather nice. I find louder systems to be obnoxious and ricey. I will keep my factory exhaust, thank you! I know the welds will hold, it won't rot in a few yrs and it has perfect bends for best airflow.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The quality of the factory exhaust (and the hardware) is the best. I'm always amazed that 15 year old bolts can be reused over and over.

A motor with properly set balance shafts will run silky smooth, smoother than most.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is the most heated I've seen the 968 board in a long time. I've got factory *everything* on our 968 cab and you couldn't convince me to change it. I don't care if it sounds better, weighs less or shoots flames.

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....