968 Forum 1992-1995

Strange high pitch whining sound from top of dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strange high pitch whining sound from top of dash

Started my car yesterday and there was a peculiar whining sound coming from the area of the top of the dash. It changed in frequency depending on the throttle position and at speed, the sound of the engine masked the sound so I could only hear it at idle or part throttle.

Is it what I think it is....the heater valve starting to stick / fail? Could it be the vaccum diaphram in the valve starting to leak?

How hard is it to change the heater valve? Do you have to remove the coolant from the system to change, or is there only a little bit of coolant based on what is in the hose?

Problem is, I have kid functions all day / wedding tonight AND I have to head out to Boston tomorrow for a business trip. Return Thursday AND leave Friday for a track event in Hallet OK. Does not leave me much time to repair....

Ideas?

Last edited by rob76turbo; 10-04-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt that it is HCV, but no idea what it could be, you sure it is not coming from the stereo, sounds like electrical interference they way you describe it. What about alternator / power steering belts? If it was HCV you should see coolant near the oil filter right hand side of the engine.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Good point. Just installed a wire harness power converter for my hitch, the main lead is straight to the battery. Is there another place, maybe in the fuse area where I can install that lead? I just need to pull 4 amps for the trailer lights. I wonder what the rear wiper pulled? It is not installed, but the switch (and fuse) are still there. I could turn the power converter on and off from that switch when the hitch is installed?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I 2nd that notion. Its something electrical that is picking your throttle and retransmitting it. You get a sloshing sound if you have a failing heater core (not heater control valve). As stated, the heater control valve is right above the oil filter housing.
Its something to do with your recent wiring. Remove the wiring and chances are the sound will go away.
Raj
Old 10-04-2008, 01:05 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

I think I will try wiring it to the switch that controlled the rear wiper and see if that works.....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:34 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Okay, I removed the wire from the hitch control / lead to the battery.

Now the sound is a distinct whine that sounds like it comes the battery area when you turn off the ignition. The sound last 4-5 seconds and then goes away. There is a secondary sound, like a bit of a sigh (release of air) coming from around the intake right when the whine ends. So to recap, whine sound like it comes from near the battery area (more like under the black shroud that covers the heating stuff) and sigh / release of air when the whine ends and that sound seems to come from near the intake or right side of the engine............... strange......

Last edited by rob76turbo; 10-04-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
968norway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has been doing the same thing for a year now. Seems worse in the summer, goes away in the winter. I am wondering if it is the little fan that sucks in air to measure the temperature for the climate control. Though it seems to come from the wrong place. Doesn't seem to effect anything, waiting for something else to happen.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

There is a vacuum line and a canister by the battery area. Let me take a few pictures real quick.

You might have knocked some vacuum hose. Check everything in the area.

Raj
Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Raj,

You are the man!!! That is exactly what it was. It had come loose when I was moving those cables around when taking the battery out!

THANKS!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Rob, gotta love those free/simple fixes. Glad it was that easy.
Raj
Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and all this time I was thinkin': Sarah Palin.

Quick Reply: Strange high pitch whining sound from top of dash