Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

DEUTSCH NINE 968 project car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Fitzgerald Racing sells fiberglass molds to modify factory parts and graft them to look like turbo S/RS parts. They sell a complete kit which includes the turbo S bumper cover opening, the naca ducts, the intercooler opening and various ducting for these pieces.
Raj
Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry chaps. I didnt put 2+2 together..
Turbo RS...
Yes i realise what one of those is...
I thought it was the name of the company that supplied it... DOH.....

The one fitted in the original post. Is it a reproduction part OR is it a modified standard front PU.???
Old 08-31-2008, 06:26 AM
951rs
Former Vendor

Techno Duck...yes, they are the ones you sent me... they already were in quite a good condition but as you can see when refurbished they still look a lot better...

The Turbo RS bumper on our car is a modified OEM piece...it is not that difficult to modify it if you use the right technique and proceed carefully...as far as I'm informed getting hold of an original unit is quite difficult, too!

And there also is some progress in the project:

Dropped the engine yesterday...it will get new belts, rollers and rms next week (waterpump and all the cylindre head maintenance has already been dealt with):

That bloody job took me all day as some italian mechanics managed to weld the transverse track control arm bearings to the chassis (lots of careful angle grinding required) and they also used the cheapest bolts to fit the rear silencer to the middle piece...which ment uninstalling the entire exhaust system an then more angle grinding...anyway, other than that the engine is in very good condition as is the entire under side of the car...no rust on the chassis, exhaust system, etc...

Also, I started to test fit the FRP wings (good quality items!) to the modified PU and also worked on the bolt-in air-inlets...all getting together well...
We have also sourced the NACA ducts for the bonnet and the TRS intercooler outlet as well as a pair of 993 headlights in good condition...
I don't want to promise too much but I think that this will become the nicest looking 968 front ever...as I have never seen a full TRS (replica) with 993 headlights properly fiited:

Cheers

Beni
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Very cool, good luck as you continue with the project.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great, I can't wait to see the project finished! Keep the pics coming. Thx.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Winston
Track Day

Where did you get the fog light delete / ducts?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Are those fenders specially designed to receive 993 headlights?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Any updates?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
future
Banned

Hi guy's

Sorry we haven't updated the progress of our project 968 for a while

Any way things are moving along nicely and the engine bay has just been painted ready for the engine to go back in which we will do this weekend.

The parts we are waiting on now are as follows:
  • New front screen.
  • New Black 968 CS carpet set.
  • Carbon Fiber Door cards which I'm just finishing at the moment and will look stunning.
  • Repainting the dash from it's OEM grey to black.
  • And a few small bits and pieces like drilled rotors, new break lines and braided hoses etc.

We have also purchased a set of OEM NACA and IC heat extraction vent which were poor quality and the symmetrical shape left a lot to be desired so we have had to remold these so that they are perfect (now completed).

Winston - The front PU break ducts are our own units mate.

SM - The front fenders/wings pictured are exact copies of the OEM steel units which leads us onto our next development...

We have obtained a set of new 993 light units which are a heavy 2 piece affair consisting of a front lense cover and then the actual light unit itself.

First we are going to make brackets to mount the lights to the main chassis of the car’s front tub to ensure that there is no light shake and also to prevent the weight of the lights over time cracking the FRP wings due to their weight.

Unlike most other 993 conversions we have seen we want the 993 lights to sit at the same angle as when fitted to the 993. To do this we need to modify the shape of the light holes in the fenders and then we will remold them so we have the mould in stock.

As far as I am aware there was only ever one company to accomplish this called Arktech – A Japanese Porsche tuner and race preparation company (see picture below):

Arktech no longer makes the wings/fender but the quality was excellent and they were made from Carbon Fiber and retailed at over $2000 USD per side The kit never came with a proper mounting kit for the 993 lights though which we will include and will be made from aluminum.

For those that have never heard of Arktech here are a few pictures of their current Porsche Boxster 986 GT car – Simply stunning almost looking like the GT1:

And lastly on the Japanese theme, some very nice ladies

Back to the 993 headlights … These are very heavy as previously stated and are a 2 piece affair. The covers alone are 920 grams with the rear light projector assembly and housing coming in at another 1.4kg per side. Whilst this is still a considerable weight saving over the OEM units fitted to the 968 we want to reduce weight and cost even further (pictures below):

Our plan is to remold the backs in FRP and fit Hella main and dip lights. The finished result will be more than half the weight and a fraction of the cost and when fitted will look completely OEM – I will keep you posted on the progress which will be finished very soon.

We will take more pictures this weekend and post them for everyone as we want this car back on the road before Christmas.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
future
Banned

A quick update …

Thanks everybody for the PM’s regarding our project and I have answered all this evening

One area we have not covered yet is what wheels we are going to be running!?!

Well in keeping with the project we are NOT going to be fitting any aftermarket cheap and heavy TRS replica split rims wheels even though I do like them – Looks wise!

I am quite fortunate that I have a set of the lightest forged wheels ever made for our cars in the form of the Veloce GT1’s. These I purchased over 5 years ago and fitted them to my old 993 C2 but refused to sell them with the car due to how sort after they were and have become since they stopped manufacturing them.

In the UK alone these sell for in excess of £3k per set excluding tyres and we will be complimenting these with a set of KW Ver.3 coilovers, solid bushing and our under chassis O-structure bracing kit, camber plates and T-Bar delete.

Below are some pictures of the Veloce GT1 wheels fitted to some other owners Porsche’s (You will love em or hate em) and we will paint them in metallic black. PS Notice the steep angle on the OEM headlight which is what we aim to achieve compared to all other 993 headlight conversions fitted to 968's:

Best regards,
Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend of mine actually got to hands on with the Arktech 968. He was working on the RE Amemiya RX7 at the time. I found out that the car was for sale and inquired. I started a thread about it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=arktech

I still would love to own that car as it's so unique. Imagine showing up at Porsche Parade with it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The wheels work for me, but I like TE37's so I guess I am a modern sort of guy.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
future
Banned

Hi SoloRacer

Yes there old 968 is something very special and is built on a part ladder chassis! It is simply the best looking 968 I have ever seen and I'm sure the best performing. Back in the mid 90's there 968 was the fastest transaxle ever modified which competed always at the front of the grid in its class in Japan.

The funny thing is that there main sponsor is responsible for most of the fake Prada and such like you find on evilBay today - Rodeo Drive ... Here is the website: http://www.rodeodrive.co.jp/
Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
future
Banned

thingo - Yes I'm with you on the TE37's mate - Simply love them but I we want to do something different performanced based

SoloRacer - We'll have a chat about the old RX7 FD3S another day ... I Luv'em and have owned 2 myself before I discovered the 951/2 and then the 968 - FD3S have a poor brake bias (need more to the rear) as OEM but a stunning chassis to work with
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 PM
future
Banned

SoloRacer - The wing mirrors used on there 968 car were C-West as per your previous thread

Quick Reply: DEUTSCH NINE 968 project car...