Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to remove cigarette lighter socket?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove cigarette lighter socket?

Why would I want to remove the cigarette light socket in my '99C4?

Well, I received a nice GPS for my birthday. A Garmin Nuvi 250. It works great but there is one problem. The unit is powered by plugging into the cigarette lighter socket. But it will not seat properly in the socket, and droops down and loses contact. A friend of mine said that I needed to replace the OEM cigarette lighter socket with a "power accessory" type of socket. OK, that's fine. I'm a non-smoker and will be quite happy to do that. But it is not obvious as to how to remove the socket. Is some special kind of tool required?

If anyone has done this, or knows what to do, please let me know.

Thanks,
...Rickker
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also just put some plastic electrical tape around the end of the plug and will stay in just fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

here you go
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Holy Catfish, Statman!! I just read the entire thread on Renntech and am intimidated about the process before even starting. This procedure has clearly challenged many members. I'll give it a shot today.

Thanks for sending along the link to Renntech.

...Rickker
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done it (don't ask me how, I don't have a clue) and it doesn't take 10 hours. But it is a bugger to get out. I would try a workaround. Consider buying a splitter adapter?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why your Nuvi plug won't seat properly. I have one and it works just fine.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Not sure why your Nuvi plug won't seat properly. I have one and it works just fine.
there are two problems...the oem socket size is not standard (US) and the tensioning "springs" inside the socket have been known to bend. There are aftermarket socket attachments that remedy the first issue, and you can pry the "springs out to make the fit better.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been through this....It actually happened when i picked up my p-car from PA. I brought my GPS for the ride home and lo and behold it wouldn't fit...ugh. I didn't really have time to find the optimal solution, so I went to Radio Shack and find a replacement cable with a short socket. You can at least test it out and return it if it doesn't work.

It was the iGo kit where you can buy replacement connectors. Was like $25 and came with one connector. The head lights up. It works 95%.....it does eventually wiggle itself loose, but it still works fine. I just found it on Radio Shack...you can see the head is short:

Radio Shack iGo Adapter
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you could hack something up and just hardwire the cable to switched power/ground, but it won't be as elegant.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by AmirShaikh
I'm sure you could hack something up and just hardwire the cable to switched power/ground, but it won't be as elegant.
Well, I did hack something up. It works quite well. It is just a piece of 7/8" copper pipe with the OD and IDs reworked to get a tight fit on the adaptor, and a snug fit in the receptacle.

Problem solved!

...Rickker
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 99' lighter socket is too large for most power adaptors. Simply go to the dealer and buy a new cigarette lighter - it will come with the socket and a new, smaller cig lighter element. You have to destroy the old socket to get it out - but who cares, right?

Removal - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. With a small flat head screwdriver, slide the tip into one of the little rectangular punched out sections of your old lighter socket wall. (The punched out section acts as a 'catch' for the socket to remain 'stuck' in the dash face) Then, while being careful, twist the screwdriver until the socket is able to pulled right out of the dash face. If twisting the socket with the screwdriver inserted through the first hole doesn't quite get it out, go to the next punched out hole, it will then come out easily.

DO NOT TRY TO PRY THE SOCKET FROM THE DASH FACE - YOU WILL ONLY MAR THE PLASTIC DASH SURFACE IN THE PROCESS AND THE SOCKET WILL STILL BE STUCK.

Installation - Unplug the power wire, and plug it into your new socket. Push the new socket into the dash face - you will note that the socket is now very firmly and inextricably stuck in your dash.

Reconnect the battery and 're-train' your power windows by holding the up and down switches as you run the windows up and down a complete cycle. Re-enter your radio code.

On my job I noticed that my old power lead didn't fit quite as snugly on the socket lead, but it worked.

Now enjoy having a snug power adaptor!

Call Sunset Porsche and they will explain the lighter socket differences. A new lighter and socket is dirt cheap.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Digging up an old thread here, but ...

Just did this! Holy crap is it nice to have a regular sized lighter in the car now.

A bit of advice -- the sleeve that the core of the lighter fits in needs to go in first, and then the core goes in after it...DO NOT PUT THE CORE IN THE SLEEVE BEFORE IT IS IN THE DASH, this will promote tons of swearing and lots of extra work. Thanks Marlon for the extraction method, worked well.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Invius
Digging up an old thread here, but ...

Just did this! Holy crap is it nice to have a regular sized lighter in the car now.

A bit of advice -- the sleeve that the core of the lighter fits in needs to go in first, and then the core goes in after it...DO NOT PUT THE CORE IN THE SLEEVE BEFORE IT IS IN THE DASH, this will promote tons of swearing and lots of extra work. Thanks Marlon for the extraction method, worked well.
So you are still able to purchase this part? I got the "this part is not available" message when I tried to purchase these a few months ago, could you please provide the place and part number?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this in my smoking delete process, I just hacked the **** out of it
Old 07-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Larry Hughes
Intermediate

Default 10 minute cigarette lighter replacement

I know this is an old thread, but I have a little different technique that I use.
I just replaced the lighter in my '01 996 with the USA size assembly in 10 minutes with no tools and no battery disconnect.

Gently pry the trim piece containing the lighter out of the dash. I use my fingernails and a thumb wedged into the lighter socket.
Disconnect power from the white socket.
Carefully remove the black and green pieces by prying the clips open with a small flat screwdriver.
Turn the trim piece face down in one hand where you can support.
Give a smart rap on the white connector with a hammer to drive the entire lighter assembly out in one piece which includes the clear segment and the metal segment.
(OK, the hammer is a tool. Just checking to see if you are following the instructions.)

You're now ready to install the new unit. Mine came as separate pieces: the clear plastic light ring and the inner metal piece.
I simply slid the clear plastic piece into the trim without removing the green and black bits. It will go in easily.
Then I inserted the metal inner taking care to align the slots in the clear plastic. The green and black bits align themselves.

Test the lighter function and check the instrument light before snapping the dash trim back into place.
You can actually do it quicker than the time it took me to write it up.

PM me for the address to send the 6-pack showing your eternal gratitude.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove cigarette lighter socket?