964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Proper Tool Kit for 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:19 AM
kyle951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Tool Kit for 964 Turbo

I wanted to know if anyone here knew what the correct tools in the car's tool kit should be. I have some extra tools in my tool kit and I would like to remove the ones that don't belong. Please let me know if you have this information.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

I have the same problem but my tool kit is sitting on a shelf in my garage so I'm not caring about it
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Here is a complete turbo kit you have to look closely for everything but it should give you a general idea.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Porsche got rid of the spark plug tool in MY91 or MY92 for the regular models. Was the MY94 turbo still delivered with it?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:03 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Hey Kyle,

I did the same thing a few years ago,... attempting to verify what came in my original kit from factory,.. but kinda gave up for a couple reasons. I knew there were a few extra tools in my kit, but to be honest, felt like they were good additions for actually working on the car,... so why not keep them all together. Plus, for the Concours judging I was entering, most judges just glanced through them (I really did not know what was going through their mind). Who knows if they took points off for "too many" tools that might not have been for my MY. Don't really care on that part.

Anyway,... to help your cause, I'll post a pic here too. Do you have a particular reason for eliminating tools from your kit?

Mine is a 1991 964T. I think for MY'91 the leather pouch was a snap type (verses the leather straps that you can tie with)....

If you have particular tools you are questioning, post them up & I'm sure the Guru's can weigh in...

=Steve
Old 03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Porsche got rid of the spark plug tool in MY91 or MY92 for the regular models. Was the MY94 turbo still delivered with it?
AFAIK it was. This kit came with the car and had never been used. I have had the car most of its life and miles. It also came with an unused, air pump, unused non scissor type jack and spare. I must assume they are factory original since the PO's kept everything imaginable. I have seen other 94's that have had the same kit as well. I must assume it did come with it although some of the vins close to the end of production received some 993 tools. Kits will vary depending on if you had the wheel locks or in the case of the RSA sunroof option.

For reference mine is identical to the RSA kit and my 93 C2 is also the same. I am assuming they changed the spark plug wrench to the spring type vs the earlier non spring type. I don't believe they eliminated them but this would require more research. I don't recall ever seeing the 24m wrench for the fan belt in the 3.6's or C2's. Is it possible this is what you are thinking of? IMO that is the one tool these cars should have.

My tool kit, air pump and jack are all identical to the ones shown on the RSA registry for my 94 the air pump on my 93 does not have the extra flasher light and the jack is the Scissor type.

http://rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/toolkit/index.htm
http://rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/jack/index.htm
http://rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/Lug_wrench/index.htm
http://rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/air_pump/index.htm

So many changes were made. I am not sure there is a definitive answer to some of these questions sometimes.

Last edited by cobalt; 03-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have seen other 94's that have had the same kit as well. I must assume it did come with it although some of the vins close to the end of production received some 993 tools. Kits will vary depending on if you had the wheel locks or in the case of the RSA sunroof option.

For reference mine is identical to the RSA kit and my 93 C2 is also the same. I am assuming they changed the spark plug wrench to the spring type vs the earlier non spring type. I don't believe they eliminated them but this would require more research. I don't recall ever seeing the 24m wrench for the fan belt in the 3.6's or C2's. Is it possible this is what you are thinking of? IMO that is the one tool these cars should have.
Maybe their intention was to no longer provide it after MY91 and use up existing stock? I know MY93 RSA did not come with it unless (in my case) it was taken by the dealer mechanic that did the original delivery inspection. I have the sunroof tool but no sunroof so I guess who knows...
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Maybe their intention was to no longer provide it after MY91 and use up existing stock? I know MY93 RSA did not come with it unless (in my case) it was taken by the dealer mechanic that did the original delivery inspection. I have the sunroof tool but no sunroof so I guess who knows...
Hard to say what actually happened. There are clearly more questions than answers with these cars. I have two friends with RSA's locally one is a 93 the other is a 94 both one owner cars. I will ask them to look at their kits and see what they have. AFAIK my kit is original to the car. I have every receipt so I would assume they would include the receipt for the spark plug tool if they purchased it later. Although why buy one and then never use it? It is possible that the dealers were supposed to remove them from the Kit and did not do so in some cases? There are a bunch of things that some dealers did and others did not during pre purchase inspection. Clearly some RSA's did come with the tool since they show it as being part of the kit on their site.

The PET shows the tool as part of the kit but doesn't suggest any years. It does show the crank style jack as of 93 on up yet my 93 clearly came with the older scissor type.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM
kyle951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Guys. I really appreciate all of the information on the toolkit. It looks like I might have a few extra tools in the kit but as a few people had mentioned in this thread, I don't really feel like that is a bad thing. What I wanted to make sure of was that I had as many of the proper tools as possible.

When I have a little free time this weekend I will sort through all the ones I have and compare them to other kits found on this thread. Thanks again to everyone that shared some information.

Kyle
Old 03-17-2017, 05:15 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

When you're matching up & checking / comparing,... feel free to post up the actual words on each of the tools,... and sizes of wrenches, etc... the pics posted above don't give you close-ups, so you may want to check on individual pieces. I know when I was checking / comparing, I saw a lot of tools that were VERY similar, but not exactly what came in these 964 Turbo's back in the early 90's.

Unfortunately, back when I was doing that research, I did not even keep my chicken scratch notes. So all I have now, is the kit itself for comparisons.

But I can also take close-up pics if you need/want...

=Steve
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Anybody know where one can currently order the Turbo version spark plug wrench? Part: 999.571.054.02

I am also missing and need to find:
8-9mm wrench
5mm allen wrench
10mm allen wrench
fan wrench 24mm
maybe another smaller and/or larger wrench similar to the fan wrench is missing, but don't yet know the spec on that one
Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

You're on the west coast so I would just order everything (OE) from Sunset Imports.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:14 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Wicks, be careful when ordering the spark plug wrench. There were variations on that wrench, as you can see the difference between Cobalt's MY94 that has the spring, verses the earlier version that came with my MY91 Turbo which did not have that spring.

So it depends on "why" you are looking to acquire the tool. If you are not concerned about Originality / Concours judging,... but rather just want one to use when DIY on your car,.. then Sunset Imports, Suncoast, or other sources may be just fine.

There are lot of little nuances and differences in many of the tools. For example the red handled phillips head screw driver that has the correct translucent transparency & opening for insert of the phillips shaft, is extremely hard to find, and can be very expensive if you find someone selling from their original kit. I was lucky to already have one,.. but I recall back when I was missing a few of the KLEIN box-end wrenches, I found a few of those translucent-red-handled screw-drivers being sold for several hundred $$$'s.

This spark plug wrench has the spring....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-21-sp...YAAOSwsGdavVcX

Oh, and the sunroof tool (dark gray "S" shaped with turn-****. Part # 901.564.085.05) I show in my toolkit above (post # 5) is also a very expensive proposition when trying to buy it now. Nowadays, you'll see that little socket-shaped sunroof adapter being sold (Part # 999.571.066.02) because the older original dark-gray "S" shaped one went out of production.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-964-993-Sun-Roof-Sunroof-Transmission-Crank-Emergency-Tool-OEM/311897931855?fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item489e90c04f:g:JisAAOSwsB9V~G6h& vxp=mtr

Good luck!
=Steve
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Only want originals...I do have the original translucent handle - good news. Sunset seems to have these rare tools - thanks Jason - hopefully they aren't just fudged into the original part numbers but aren't the original tools.

Can't seem to find the part numbers for these though (the diagram only indicates a few of the part numbers), anybody have them?

8-9mm wrench
5mm allen wrench
10mm allen wrench
alt wrench 24mm found
Other closed end wrenches I see above?

Last edited by wicks; 04-18-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

FYI - I see a translucent red handle here: http://www.ladismantler.com/search.p...+tool+&x=0&y=0

Quick Reply: Proper Tool Kit for 964 Turbo