Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

25 year present for my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the car and the new suspension feels great. Just stiff enough to know you are driving a 911. I suspect it will handle nicely in the twisties. The car ended up lower than I wanted so I am going back to raise the car once the blizzard subsides. I do like the even spacing from the rim to the fenders so I plan to raise front and rear about 3/4 of an inch.

On another note, does anyone run wheel spacers? I was considering some 5 to 7 mm spacers front and rear to fill the wheel arches a little better.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I picked up the car and the new suspension feels great. Just stiff enough to know you are driving a 911. I suspect it will handle nicely in the twisties. The car ended up lower than I wanted so I am going back to raise the car once the blizzard subsides. I do like the even spacing from the rim to the fenders so I plan to raise front and rear about 3/4 of an inch.

On another note, does anyone run wheel spacers? I was considering some 5 to 7 mm spacers front and rear to fill the wheel arches a little better.
Looks good. I would consider 10mm increase max. Any higher you will defeat what you just did. You can run spacers. You do need to use hub centering spacers. The hubs have a 7mm lip. You can run 3mm safely. I would consider 3 in front and 7 in the rear. IIRC the early turbos use a hub similar to the stock C2 which is a round ring vs the rear or 993 fronts which have 3 tabs. The three tab version can be purchased and give you a proper hub to center the tire on.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Looks good. I would consider 10mm increase max. Any higher you will defeat what you just did. You can run spacers. You do need to use hub centering spacers. The hubs have a 7mm lip. You can run 3mm safely. I would consider 3 in front and 7 in the rear. IIRC the early turbos use a hub similar to the stock C2 which is a round ring vs the rear or 993 fronts which have 3 tabs. The three tab version can be purchased and give you a proper hub to center the tire on.
On my RH wheels I run 6's in the front to keep the 235 tires from rubbing the inner wheelhouse. I could stand to run 3 mm spacers out back so I guess I'm reversing your advice, Anthony
When I had 225's up front I ran a 13mm spacer with no issues.
I think Speedlines are more inset at the rear; at least it looks that way in pictures.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

im really looking forward to installing my RH wheels on my turbo now!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
On my RH wheels I run 6's in the front to keep the 235 tires from rubbing the inner wheelhouse. I could stand to run 3 mm spacers out back so I guess I'm reversing your advice, Anthony
When I had 225's up front I ran a 13mm spacer with no issues.
I think Speedlines are more inset at the rear; at least it looks that way in pictures.
What are your offsets? When I was running the 235's up front I ran 3mm with no rubbing.

I was always curious if Porsche used these speedlines with narrow arms would the turbo have sold more or less?

These are factory RSR wheels 9.5 w/245's and 11's w/325's
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I run 4 or 5mm spacer in back - 285/35 tire on genuine Speedlines (which I think have different ET than RH). 225 up front no spacer. Part of me wants to run a few mm's up front, too....
Old 03-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your offsets? When I was running the 235's up front I ran 3mm with no rubbing.

I was always curious if Porsche used these speedlines with narrow arms would the turbo have sold more or less?

These are factory RSR wheels 9.5 w/245's and 11's w/325's
Looks Amazing

Still thinking about converting to the skinny NA arms but there must be a reason Porsche put biffier arms on the turbos. Any view on that ?

To mmporsche I would NOT raise that car ! Looks just fine to me.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Looks Amazing

Still thinking about converting to the skinny NA arms but there must be a reason Porsche put biffier arms on the turbos. Any view on that ?

To mmporsche I would NOT raise that car ! Looks just fine to me.
Just German's over complicating things. The narrow arms react much faster and offer the same high speed stability but far more nimble at the same time.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Just German's over complicating things. The narrow arms react much faster and offer the same high speed stability but far more nimble at the same time.
Some of the literature (non of it official) referenced having an un-favorable scrub angle when using the narrow arms, if my memory serves me correctly. The Turbo arms were to prevent that and the accompanying high rear tire wear. So it was a customer satisfaction thing.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Some of the literature (non of it official) referenced having an un-favorable scrub angle when using the narrow arms, if my memory serves me correctly. The Turbo arms were to prevent that and the accompanying high rear tire wear. So it was a customer satisfaction thing.
That is the first I heard that but it makes sense. Although from a performance perspective the narrow arms are a better choice. Comparing the three setups I like narrow arms on widebody then the C2 for low speed maneuvering since I don't hit the higher speeds then the turbo for its high speed & sweeping turn stability. The 1st is a good combo of both and I don't expect to get more than a few hundred miles out of the tires.

All my prior 911's I was lucky to get 8k miles out of a set of rear tires. I have never used a set up on the 94 they just aged out but the last set had 8k miles and there was 70% of the tread left. Sounds like they achieved their goal.

Still learning every day.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I have stock offset (RH's are different from the real deal Speedlines) but I don't recall exactly what they are. I did the 13 mm with the 225's mainly for vanity. The RH's sat so far inboard that they looked weird; like they didn't belong on the car. I bet I could get away with 3's now with the 235's but the 6's look good and don't rub my rolled fender lips.
Out in the rear I run the wider inner hoops I get from Jim Dorociak (total width 10 3/4 inches inner bear to inner bead). Those could be pushed out 3 mm also and I plan to do just that this season.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I run 4 or 5mm spacer in back - 285/35 tire on genuine Speedlines (which I think have different ET than RH). 225 up front no spacer. Part of me wants to run a few mm's up front, too....
I had 3mm on mine up front with 225's,

wheels are 8.5 up front and 10.5 rear width modified by Jim D

Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Vince964T
Racer

That is the first I heard that but it makes sense. Although from a performance perspective the narrow arms are a better choice. Comparing the three setups I like narrow arms on widebody then the C2 for low speed maneuvering since I don't hit the higher speeds then the turbo for its high speed & sweeping turn stability. The 1st is a good combo of both and I don't expect to get more than a few hundred miles out of the tires.

All my prior 911's I was lucky to get 8k miles out of a set of rear tires. I have never used a set up on the 94 they just aged out but the last set had 8k miles and there was 70% of the tread left. Sounds like they achieved their goal.

Still learning every day.
Thx guys now I want the narrow arms even more ! Meaning I would need to do something to the front to get more grip @ the front. Well the tracks open soon in northern Europe so it's for next winter !
Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I put H&R coil overs and HD Bilsriens and have a small positive rake in the front. Added 18" sport design wheels. I upgraded to a Tial waste gate and 1 bar spring. Added a Laesek WUR which is a PITA to adjust......have a K27 HF turbo and honestly she is at the limit of the CIS.....better option is to go full motronic but you talking $10k.....short shift kit is another nice adder.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by maverick
I put H&R coil overs and HD Bilsriens and have a small positive rake in the front. Added 18" sport design wheels. I upgraded to a Tial waste gate and 1 bar spring. Added a Laesek WUR which is a PITA to adjust......have a K27 HF turbo and honestly she is at the limit of the CIS.....better option is to go full motronic but you talking $10k.....short shift kit is another nice adder.
I found 0.9b boost spring was safer at least if you track your car and with short headers. I would still pass 0.9 at mid rpm range at woot.
But after year of track days and some mild racing with this setting my leak down and comp tests were perfect.

Quick Reply: 25 year present for my turbo