964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Any good shops on Long Island NY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by xilly
He did a leak-down test and it's ok so the motor is ok :-)
After a good discussion with John, we are going to replace my K29 turbo by a K27-7200 to have more boost in the lower RPM
Geez, and to think someone wanted to sell you an engine rebuild to fix an oil leak
Why would you throttle that $hit-hot engine with the stock turbo? You won't like the K27-7200, especially in light of the fact that your running a straight K29 now; it runs out of breath at 5k rpm.
I would recommend a K27/K29 hybrid turbo to get the most out of that mill. You get the best of both worlds; the fast spooling of a K27 and to grunt of a K29.
If interested, contact Brian at RarlyL8.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
xilly
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Cobalt: Too bad I did not saw your car, maybe when I'm going to pick mine
I tried to take an appointment since November and get only one in march because of all the delay
but totally worth it

Metal Guru:
Tx for the advice.
John told me that i will have more torque in low RMP than the K29 with the "K27 S"
I also like the idea to go back to some "stockish" motor
Anyway I'm keeping the K29 so i guess it'll be easy to do a K27/K29 hybrid turbo later?

I just need to fix my daughter car seat in the 911 and we should be ready for nice ride this summer

William
Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

William, go drive a Turbo with a "stockish" engine. Owning the car you have, you will find the stocker to be excruciatingly slow.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
xilly
Rennlist Member

Fair enough

But i should be slightly far from a stock 3.3. I still have the dual point 3.6 conversion so i guess around 360hp

My other week end car is a stock M3 E30 so everything will feel faster, at least in straight line

William
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 AM
xilly
Rennlist Member

sorry everyone i was lazy and did not updated this thread sooner

So i finally pick up the car from John's place
John just did a fantastic job for a VERY reasonable price

It was a though job because i was missing a lot of small parts for both AC and heating system and the engine is far from stock, so everything is more complicated

For example he has to use a AC compressor for a C2 and not the compressor for a turbo because i have a non stock pulley

He also changed the K29 by a K27 because i like torque in low rpm

At the end of the day, everything is working great and the car still feel very very fast. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 360-400 range

I still have a small leak of oil, he fixed 2 others, and the plan is to bring him the car this winter to drop the motor and see what is exactly in the engine

I found a shop with a dyno 2 minutes away from where I live! I dyno my stock M3 E30 and get 162hp at the wheels :-)

However I prefer to have the last oil leak fixed before dyno my the Porsche but I'll definitively do it

I can't be more happier and i'm strongly recommend John's place for our cars. It's 'far' from long island but definitively worth it

Tx

William

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Glad it worked out for you John and Paul are great guys and do nice work.

Quick Reply: Any good shops on Long Island NY?