Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

1992 Red Porsche 964 Turbo Mechanical Preservation / Major Service at GMG Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
It appears to be a nice example. I just don't understand why so much energy would be put into doing the restoration and not use the stock colors for the coatings?. The amount of energy is the same the work looks top notch, must have been the owners preference but that would be a subtraction in my book. It would appear to need a left rear light as well looks like the others were replaced and they saved on one side??
Most of what you see is due to camera angles. None of the rear lights were replaced as replacements available now are not as valuable as the original "Made in Germany" tail lamps. Remember this car was handmade. Best to keep original parts if and all possible. We did replace both front lights with OEM lamps, as originals had some yellowing. See my prior comments as well. I also had them add an Alpine head unit with Bluetooth so one can use their phone hands-free. Thank you.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 01-31-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Remember this car was handmade. Best to keep original parts if and all possible.
The 964 series, or any Porsche, doesn't really fit the manufacturing engineering definition of hand made. All cars are pretty much final assembled by "hand", however the 964 body was not hand crafted. It was built in an automated body system. In many respects the 964 series car was build using obsolete assembly designs from the 1960's which required time consuming and piecemeal assembly of everything. Porsche almost went bankrupt as a result
There are a few tricks to bring taillights back but if they are faded, cracked and falling apart, there are no options but to replace.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The car is mine. However, I never noticed that nor would I have wanted it like that (i.e. fan painted). If this is the case, I will have them replace and put back to bare metal and in 100% original condition. Collectables should be 100% original.
Don't go bare.
Corrosion will be an issue. The stock fan was like the 911 3.2 fan and was plated from what I could tell but would be hard to re-create. Have them powdercoat it a color like silver or gray or go to the Turbo 3.6 color, buff.

We're all rooting for you to get your asking price.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Don't go bare.
Corrosion will be an issue. The stock fan was like the 911 3.2 fan and was plated from what I could tell but would be hard to re-create. Have them powdercoat it a color like silver or gray or go to the Turbo 3.6 color, buff.

We're all rooting for you to get your asking price.
in photo it looks blue. but it's grey. I guess GMG understood that and coated it to prevent any corrosion issues.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

The 964 series, or any Porsche, doesn't really fit the manufacturing engineering definition of hand made. All cars are pretty much final assembled by "hand", however the 964 body was not hand crafted. It was built in an automated body system. In many respects the 964 series car was build using obsolete assembly designs from the 1960's which required time consuming and piecemeal assembly of everything. Porsche almost went bankrupt as a result
There are a few tricks to bring taillights back but if they are faded, cracked and falling apart, there are no options but to replace.
I feel that process is what makes these older-gen 911's special. Just to clarify, I was not trying to claim this car was 100% handmade; only that these cars were more manually assembled vs. newer gen and that the original parts are special to collectors; even if there is minor wear. The tail lamps are not significantly faded, cracked nor falling apart. But I leave any of that to the new owner. Some people may not care for original parts and want brand new tail light. For me, I wanted to keep it original and "Made in Germany".
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

in photo it looks blue. but it's grey. I guess GMG understood that and coated it to prevent any corrosion issues.
Not meaning to bash your car it is a nice example however the correct color was Zermatt Silver. It will turn goldish or grey over time. I have pictures if you need them. Definitely need to paint or powder coat it magnesium will not like being exposed to the elements.

You clearly went through a lot of energy and effort. I like the work however if you are going through this effort I believe you can have coatings in the proper grey color used on the heater boxes. I am not sure why there was a need to ceramic coat the exhaust. What is the gain over the polished finish it is stainless and will last a long time as it was.

So there are tail lamps not made in Germany going around? A lot of the parts have new suppliers. Magnetti Marelli is now making the H4's originally made by Bosch.

I had purchased a new set of tail lamps about 6 months ago from Porsche. They are all made in Germany so I guess I picked up some of the last or are there two suppliers?
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

however the correct color was Zermatt Silver. It will turn goldish or grey over time. I have pictures if you need them.
The one picture I have, it looked like it was yellow cad plated.
I wanted a darker gray but this was the darkest gray the powder coater had.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2015, 01:51 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Not meaning to bash your car it is a nice example however the correct color was Zermatt Silver. It will turn goldish or grey over time. I have pictures if you need them. Definitely need to paint or powder coat it magnesium will not like being exposed to the elements.

You clearly went through a lot of energy and effort. I like the work however if you are going through this effort I believe you can have coatings in the proper grey color used on the heater boxes. I am not sure why there was a need to ceramic coat the exhaust. What is the gain over the polished finish it is stainless and will last a long time as it was.

So there are tail lamps not made in Germany going around? A lot of the parts have new suppliers. Magnetti Marelli is now making the H4's originally made by Bosch.

I had purchased a new set of tail lamps about 6 months ago from Porsche. They are all made in Germany so I guess I picked up some of the last or are there two suppliers?
I understand. I have tough skin. And I appreciate all the help. I actually wanted the exhaust ceramic coated black. I think it looks great and last a long time. I do want to figure out the cooling fan issue. As for the tail lamps, the new owner and swap out if they please. I like the originals. They are in good shape. This car was my part of my personal collection. I am bummed to sell it; if no one jumps on it I won't be disappointed at all and at least I can tell my wife I tried. haha.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I understand. I have tough skin. And I appreciate all the help. I actually wanted the exhaust ceramic coated black. I think it looks great and last a long time. I do want to figure out the cooling fan issue. As for the tail lamps, the new owner and swap out if they please. I like the originals. They are in good shape. This car was my part of my personal collection. I am bummed to sell it; if no one jumps on it I won't be disappointed at all and at least I can tell my wife I tried. haha.
I am not sure if I should wish you good luck in selling or not. If your wife gives you grief just point her our way and we will tell her you made a valiant effort.

I never understood why Porsche had such issues with the 964 tail lights turning pink and cracking. they didn't have the issue prior to or after the 964 even the newer versions do the same thing eventually. IIRC they are $269 each expensive for what they are. I did double check the ones I just purchased fro my C2 and they are Made in Germany. I have been building a track 964 so I just buy new and transfer everything down the line. Turbo to C2 to tack car.

A bit late but a correct fan should look like the picture I posted.

GLWS
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

So what color would you call that? Gold, buff?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So what color would you call that? Gold, buff?
it is actually Zermatt Silver. It has a goldish cast to it and becomes more goldish as time goes on. They used it on all the mag parts from fans to intake covers on the 944 and 928 and the old mag valve covers on the 964's. You can put several side by side with varying degrees of change and would think they were all painted a different color. I still say Porsche was sniffing the VOC's when they named their paints.

For example here is a picture of a 964 valve cover my 944S2 valve cover and my 928GTS valve cover all Zermatt silver at one time.
Attached Images    
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Now that I think about it, I recall stripping silver paint off of my valve covers. I coated them with Sharkhide after some machining.
One of the Turbo 3.6's here in town has a fan that I would describe as being between buff and light tan. That's considerable discoloration over time.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Here's what I'm talking about. That fan doesn't look like it started life as Zermatt Silver. That's buff and looks identical to my friend's 3.6.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Here's what I'm talking about. That fan doesn't look like it started life as Zermatt Silver. That's buff and looks identical to my friend's 3.6.
Never seen this color turbo fan before. I do a lot of Concours judging and this looks more like the 964 N/A color than the turbo. I know mine is factory correct.

Quick Reply: 1992 Red Porsche 964 Turbo Mechanical Preservation / Major Service at GMG Racing