964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts
Default Parts?

I have been working on building this turbo bodied 964 based track car and I have been searching for parts both new and used. What I am finding which is rather disconcerting is many parts are either triple in price from Porsche vs just a few years back or even worse NLA or none are at any location worldwide currently.

This does not seem to be the case for similar 964 narrow body parts but specific to many turbo parts. I also find that these are not parts that can be found at sites like Pelican.

Not sure what to do looks like I will have to start fabricating my own parts.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Currently getting my 964 (NB) engine rebuilt, been waiting for a new set of stock pistons and cylinders since May.

I'm told there are none in stock from any suppliers in all of North America, with no ETA given. If anyone has a lead on a set, please let me know.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a mint 3.6 turbo airbox if anyone is interested
Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Anthony, I've been doing minor renovation on cosmetic parts and am finding the same e.g. I'm trying to source a right hand lower stone guard film (I will make my own) but PP have none. That should be easy to manufacture. Seat back buttons and seat belt bolt covers took a while with the latter coming from Germany. I think this is the downside of rare cars that don't get driven much. Not much stock is held and it's expensive.

I certainly would not want to have an accident. This C2 aquaplaned at the track. New parts are US$ 40,000 !!'
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Jonny, are you going to keep the register updated now you have moved on from the Turbo 3.6?

Whilst helping my friend looking for parts to repair his C2 I asked after a couple of Turbo 3.6 cars that I hadn't seen around. Both confirmed as still in NZ and put away as investments. One is ex Brunei. 5,000 and 5,600 miles on the odometer. !
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
What I am finding which is rather disconcerting is many parts are either triple in price from Porsche vs just a few years back or even worse NLA or none are at any location worldwide currently.
I just dealt with that price increase when I purchased two new genuine Porsche interior blower motors....
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

John , yes i will be keeping the register as i did the first time i sold it !
And who knows what fortune may bring in the future ?

I am in contact with the owner of 2 of the Brunei cars in NZ . He runs a good classic
Restoration business so i am sure they will be well looked after , though sadly
Rarely driven .
Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
John , yes i will be keeping the register as i did the first time i sold it !
And who knows what fortune may bring in the future ?

I am in contact with the owner of 2 of the Brunei cars in NZ . He runs a good classic
Restoration business so i am sure they will be well looked after , though sadly
Rarely driven .
I'm doing my bit. I rotate DD duties between the three cars and today it was the Tubo 3.6. Soon I will refurb the faded calipers so she looks at her absolute best. Otherwise, aside from the pain of cleaning commuting grime off her theres no reason she can't do miles.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to know your keeping the registry up and running. I heard from a friend of mine that you had a successful time selling your special car.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have been working on building this turbo bodied 964 based track car and I have been searching for parts both new and used. What I am finding which is rather disconcerting is many parts are either triple in price from Porsche vs just a few years back or even worse NLA or none are at any location worldwide currently. This does not seem to be the case for similar 964 narrow body parts but specific to many turbo parts. I also find that these are not parts that can be found at sites like Pelican. Not sure what to do looks like I will have to start fabricating my own parts.
I have the turbo wide front and rear porsche Motorsport sways if u r looking

U know I'm going back to stock

Also track wheels with newish nittos
Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

I was told recently that Speedlines (at least polished) are no longer in stock in the U.S. and maybe only fronts available from Germany - seems factory Speedlines will be gone soon - at least for this production round and who knows when they will come back again?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flachbau
I was told recently that Speedlines (at least polished) are no longer in stock in the U.S. and maybe only fronts available from Germany - seems factory Speedlines will be gone soon - at least for this production round and who knows when they will come back again?
Ocassonally a NA 964 will come on the market in New Zealand with real Speedlines and I've been tempted to buy it just to have the wheels. What do you think the value of a good used set is now?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Can you get a silver coloured Speedline and take it one of the notable speed line restorers and have them polish it ?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=What do you think the value of a good used set is now?[/QUOTE]

Well there's more to that answer than you would think. If you want to your car to be authentic a 'new' set of wheels will not accomplish that because the production dates are not the proper vintage (they are current dates). To be period correct you need wheels with manufacture dates not later than the month of your car's production month (that date is on the metal production tab on the inner front quarter panel accessible from the boot). It all depends upon how 'collectible' your car is or you want it to be.

Here is my take on a polished set:

- excellent condition original set period correct - $12,500 - do not need to be refinished/r&r - worth as much or more than new

- new set - MSRP $12,500+ tax - may or may not be available - discount may be available reducing price to $10,000 - not period correct

- fully refinished/r&r set period correct - $10,000

- fully refinished/r&r set not period correct - $7,000

- excellent condition original set not period correct - $7,000 - do not need to be refinished/r&r

- medium condition original set period correct - $7,000 - can be used as is or could be refinished/r&r to be excellent condition again - all scripts intact w/ all original bolts/nuts

- medium condition original set not period correct - $4,500 - can be used as is or could be refinished/r&r to be excellent condition again - all scripts intact w/ all original bolts/nuts

- poor condition original set period correct - $4,000 - need to be refinished/r&r to justify putting tires on - one or more scripts polished out and/or one or more non original bolts/nuts

- poor condition original set not period correct - $3,000 - need to be refinished/r&r to justify putting tires on - one or more scripts polished out and/or one or more non original bolts/nuts
Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Can you get a silver coloured Speedline and take it one of the notable speed line restorers and have them polish it ?
'Polished' is a finish not just polished metal. So yes but it is just as - or even more - expensive as painting.

Quick Reply: Parts?