Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Parts?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the reply,

Jim has my wheels at his shop, waiting in line once they get their turn and the rear lip will be 10.5 instead of oem .10.

Going to be restored and bring the polish back to life. I have bought a set of used wheels from him, instead of shipping my current one's.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I have bought a set of used wheels from him, instead of shipping my current one's.
That was a good idea!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
I just dealt with that price increase when I purchased two new genuine Porsche interior blower motors....
I am sorry to tell you this now but I have a left and a right in perfect condition for sale someone inquired last night about them. I am assuming the new ones were incredibly pricey.

John that hurts to see but those tires have some serious grip. Sorry

I am regretting selling the so so set of speedlines I had from Dr Jupemans car. Looking back I should have followed through with having them restored didn't consider the dates at the time cars were only worth sub 6 figures a few years ago.

Finding period correct parts is both difficult and expensive. Although what is everyone's opinion on replacement parts like wheel liners and other parts with date stamps?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Finding period correct parts is both difficult and expensive. Although what is everyone's opinion on replacement parts like wheel liners and other parts with date stamps?
Maybe when these cars are 40-50 years old every parts will matter. Right now no one looks that deeply into it.

But more visible and key components matter - so things like wheels, wastegates, turbo chargers etc. should matter.

BTW if anyone is interested I have a rebuildable period correct factory 91/92 Turbo charger for sale. Build date is 91 so good for 91/92. Needs a new intake wheel.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Maybe when these cars are 40-50 years old every parts will matter. Right now no one looks that deeply into it.

But more visible and key components matter - so things like wheels, wastegates, turbo chargers etc. should matter.

BTW if anyone is interested I have a rebuildable period correct factory 91/92 Turbo charger for sale. Build date is 91 so good for 91/92. Needs a new intake wheel.
And a very nice period correct 91/92 wastegate also.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

I am sorry to tell you this now but I have a left and a right in perfect condition for sale someone inquired last night about them. I am assuming the new ones were incredibly pricey.

John that hurts to see but those tires have some serious grip. Sorry

I am regretting selling the so so set of speedlines I had from Dr Jupemans car. Looking back I should have followed through with having them restored didn't consider the dates at the time cars were only worth sub 6 figures a few years ago.

The Rennnlist app isn't loading images so I went old school. Evidently the camera orientation is locked in and some photos come out upside down. Sorry.

My thought with the views on the wheels was I'd buy the lower end sets for my car, as spares, so I'm not in the camp that demands my car be original. Heck it's a repaint so it never will be.

Btw now that I've started driving more I'm noticing minor problems. In the last couple of drives the car was jiggling/shaking at the traffic lights. I'm pretty sure I know what it is. New OEM ones are $457 each. Luckily I have some good used ones out of my C4 to fit.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Model out of my C4
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Three engine mounts. Left is ex Turbo 3.6, Middle is out of my C4 (same part number), right is a 993 mount that will go in my 996TT. If your car feels a bit lumpy at idle, possibly your mounts have gone.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Three engine mounts. Left is ex Turbo 3.6, Middle is out of my C4 (same part number), right is a 993 mount that will go in my 996TT. If your car feels a bit lumpy at idle, possibly your mounts have gone.
John,

Interesting that the one from your turbo is different in overall length. I am assuming the unit is NG? I have to sets of spares and both look like the one in the middle.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

John,

Interesting that the one from your turbo is different in overall length. I am assuming the unit is NG? I have to sets of spares and both look like the one in the middle.
That Turbo mount is out too far; a positive indication of failure. It should look like the middle mount.
I had a failed mount I discovered with my engine out. I opted for RS mounts but the bolt that is spec'ed for it is 5mm too shout for the Turbo application.
I was able to source longer bolts in the aftermarket.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, Interesting that the one from your turbo is different in overall length. I am assuming the unit is NG? I have to sets of spares and both look like the one in the middle.
Anthony, the 964 and Turbo parts are identical. Mine had both part numbers on them. I could have fitted the 993 part as well, although I'm not sure the central shaft length is compatible with the cover that neatly closes off the access hole.

Fitting was more work than I expected. The left side was easy. The right side needed some disassembly with the air con compressor and pipes underneath. You could put the bolt back on with the pipes in place but you risk cross threading with a slightly off center access (the 993 design is smarter).

I took a short test drive and it seems a lot better. However I imagine it was false economy to reuse my spare mounts. The car had done 85,000 miles so I may be back in there soon. At least I will be faster and will have an easier time given I used copper grease in the top bolts.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Turbo specific parts are very hard to find and expensive, the price one pays for low production numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts?