Vmotion
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any Updates???
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Anthony, can I ask what Brand / Model Scissor lift you have in your garage? I have a 1928 garage with 10' ceiling height, and not much room on either side (don't like 2 or 4 poles).

As a neat little difference, I am planning to sink two rectangle cavities (one for each scissor) in my garage floor, so when it is all the way down, it will be flush with regular floor height.

I have not sourced, nor bought the lift yet. Is it US made?
TIA!
=Steve {< GT sorry for hijack, but figured this was the best place to ask >}

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-31-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: apology for hyjacking
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Anthony, can I ask what Brand / Model Scissor lift you have in your garage? I have a 1928 garage with 10' ceiling height, and not much room on either side (don't like 2 or 4 poles).

As a neat little difference, I am planning to sink two rectangle cavities (one for each scissor) in my garage floor, so when it is all the way down, it will be flush with regular floor height.

I have not sourced, nor bought the lift yet. Is it US made?
TIA!
=Steve {< GT sorry for hijack, but figured this was the best place to ask >}
Steve,

It is a made in US BendPak SP-7X http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...fts/sp-7x.aspx

Not inexpensive but a great lift for the DIYer. Mine is recessed into the garage floor so I can drive over it and park cars on it without any obstructions like the 2 post lifts. I can also lift my pickup with this for basic maintenance.

I had the floor poured especially for the lift although I did not figure out where the hydraulic lines would go so I cut those into the floor later. It was a bit tricky with the radiant floor heating but we made it work without issue.

I can't say enough good things about the lift. My ceiling is only 110" so I can't use full height but it gets the job done.

Only down side is dropping tools into the cavity under the lift and getting used to there being an opening when the lift is in the up position.
Attached Images     
Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony. That's EXACTLY what my son came up with 2 years ago (heated & recessed) before he went off to college. I now have 2 years left to GET IT DONE! Lol. My 1928 cement is thin, so we wanted to re-pour it anyway. Can I ask what type of heating you used? pipes & a hot water heater? or other?
Thanks,
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-01-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Thanks Anthony. That's EXACTLY what my son came up with 2 years ago (heated & recessed) before he went off to college. I now have 2 years left to GET IT DONE! Lol. My 1928 cement is thin, so we wanted to re-pour it anyway. Can I ask what type of heating you used? pipes & a hot water heater? or other?
Thanks,
=Steve
Getting off topic but it is a dedicated system. I don't have access to the name now. But it was a 96% efficient boiler and it used a special orange pex tubing designed to be encased in concrete. IIRC there are 6 zones but all are set to the same setting just had to use a manifold to make it work properly but it can be regulated by zone if needed. First they installed an aluminized reflective insulating vapor barrier a wire reinforcement grid was installed and the pex tubing over that. The tubing sits about 5" down the flooring was overkill with 8" all around. The additional cost was nominal for the concrete so I figured why not.

It has an outside temp override so I can set the temp and it only activates if it is below an outside temp of 36' or whatever I set it to but I have an override installed. I set it at around 60" and its is almost too warm. When working in the winter months it is very pleasant since the floor is always warm you feel the heat that much more than with a space heater which only heats the air.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

SHOUT OUT THANKS!! go to GT TWO for hosting this tangent. Based on the OP "964 Turbo rejuvenation project" killer mods & upgrades, I'm thinking he has a garage & lift like Cobalt.
THANKS to both of you!

Would love to hear a video AUDIO drive-by of GT TWO's car (w/ loud exhaust)!!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GT TWO
I recently ventured back into 964 ownership and picked up a Black Turbo with Grey leather.

The car suspension and bushes were fairly tired along with the brakes needing TLC.

It had recently had a top end rebuild so I was fairly confident in the engine although it seemed to be idling high and also produced a puff of white smoke on start up. The Turbo had also been replaced so I was fairly certain that expenditure was going to be on renewing worn items, mounts, rubbers, bushes and other things I wanted to change such as wheels, steering wheel and gear ****.

I have really bonded with the car so far, loving charachter of the power delivery and although suspension is tired, whilst driving I would have glimpses of what it would be once it was refreshed.
I noticed you have red callipers. Are they painted red or actual Big Reds?
I ask because they fit under you Cup 1 wheels.
I wasnt sure if big reds fit under Cup 1 wheels? Or are the 964 big reds smaller than the 993 big reds?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I noticed you have red callipers. Are they painted red or actual Big Reds?
I ask because they fit under you Cup 1 wheels.
I wasnt sure if big reds fit under Cup 1 wheels? Or are the 964 big reds smaller than the 993 big reds?
Big reds on the 94 are the same caliper as the 993TT and the 928GTS but just had the bleeds and feeds swapped since they are mounted on the trailing side instead of leading. The GTS used the 17" cup I's and later the Cup II's. They all use a 322 x 28mm rotor even the 91-92 turbos however the 91-92 rotors are not compatible with the big reds.

The big red sits 10mm closer to the hub than the 91-92 and therefore you need the 94 turbo or 928GTS solid rotor to work. There is 10mm more surface area on the 94 rotor.

Big reds with 94 turbo rotors on my C2 with 8" Cup I's and big blacks with the 94 turbo rotors on the GTS with 7.5" cup I's. You can see how much room there is. It is funny that these are huge compared to the tiny brakes used on the early 911's and these are puny compared to the current brakes on the newer cars.

If you don't plan on tracking the car the gain is insignificant and both extend out from the center the same distance.
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2015, 02:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Big reds on the 94 are the same caliper as the 993TT and the 928GTS but just had the bleeds and feeds swapped since they are mounted on the trailing side instead of leading. The GTS used the 17" cup I's and later the Cup II's. They all use a 322 x 28mm rotor even the 91-92 turbos however the 91-92 rotors are not compatible with the big reds.

The big red sits 10mm closer to the hub than the 91-92 and therefore you need the 94 turbo or 928GTS solid rotor to work. There is 10mm more surface area on the 94 rotor.

Big reds with 94 turbo rotors on my C2 with 8" Cup I's and big blacks with the 94 turbo rotors on the GTS with 7.5" cup I's. You can see how much room there is. It is funny that these are huge compared to the tiny brakes used on the early 911's and these are puny compared to the current brakes on the newer cars.

If you don't plan on tracking the car the gain is insignificant and both extend out from the center the same distance.
Excellent information!
Everything i need to know!
Basically, i am looking at a 964 that had big reds installed along with 18" Speedlines.
I would like to install the original Cup 1 wheels on that car (and donate the speedlines to my 964 turbo) but was told the big reds will not clear the Cup 1 wheels...
Now i know how it can be done!

By the way, love the R888 tires with the big reds on your 964.
Man after my own heart. You must have some fun with that car
Old 04-03-2015, 05:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Excellent information!
Everything i need to know!
Basically, i am looking at a 964 that had big reds installed along with 18" Speedlines.
I would like to install the original Cup 1 wheels on that car (and donate the speedlines to my 964 turbo) but was told the big reds will not clear the Cup 1 wheels...
Now i know how it can be done!

By the way, love the R888 tires with the big reds on your 964.
Man after my own heart. You must have some fun with that car
Glad i helped.

The C2 is well setup with lots of RS and go fast goodies a total blast to drive. Nimble and easy to toss around very different from the turbo

Quick Reply: My 964 Turbo rejuvenation project