Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Time to reconsider how you view your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

The only interest in my car has been from the " collectable investor "
Not one genuine enthusiast has made an offer and i will not reduce the price
For an investor . A couple more weeks and then i will probably bring it back and
Put some mileage on it .
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

There is now a deposit on it !

I will be selling my RH Speedlines seperate if anyone here
Wants them - NOW SOLD

Last edited by Turbo Jonny; 07-10-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
There is now a deposit on it ! I will be selling my RH Speedlines seperate if anyone here Wants them .
Way to go. This should set a price record for a non flat nose car.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 AM
BTR3.4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canepa now SOLD asking price was $195,000 USD http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...-11910219.html.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by BTR3.4
Canepa now SOLD asking price was $195,000 USD http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...-11910219.html.
So what was its sale price? A bit south of asking price I presume.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The market continues to go crazy:
Here's a '92 stocker in Canuckistan for $95k US: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ack-black.html

A '91 low mileage car for "six figures": http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rbo-965-a.html

Matt's old car for $80k looks like a bargain: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ved-930-a.html

Just for the record: if/when the median price of 3.3's hits $150k I'm selling!

Last edited by Metal Guru; 07-25-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Just for the record: if/when the 3.3's hit $150k I'm selling!
Well I can tell you that I have an example of everyone of my pricing predictions having already come true - years ahead of schedule .... unfortunately excluding the 3.3 Turbo - so maybe that is where the best bargains can still be found?

For the curious please refer back to my original post.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread Flachbau, I have been wondering aloud for the last year why air cooled Porsches; ie 993,964,3.2's and especially Turbos have skyrocket? I am not entirely sure, I feel like it's the muscle car boom, but with European cars. Nothing has blown my mind more then Turbo prices. These cars are going for more then what their original sticker price! My only hope is to see this burn out so enthusiast can get back in the game. For me I will not be a Turbo owner, but would really like another 964 or 993, but I am not going to get gouged for one in this market.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Interesting thread Flachbau, I have been wondering aloud for the last year why air cooled Porsches; ie 993,964,3.2's and especially Turbos have skyrocket? I am not entirely sure, I feel like it's the muscle car boom, but with European cars. Nothing has blown my mind more then Turbo prices. These cars are going for more then what their original sticker price! My only hope is to see this burn out so enthusiast can get back in the game. For me I will not be a Turbo owner, but would really like another 964 or 993, but I am not going to get gouged for one in this market.
Universal appeal is partly behind it. When the general public compliments you on a car, regularly, you know it's got a broad buyer base to draw on. I get that everywhere in my 964 C4 and my Turbo 3.6. I never get it in my 996TT.

The fact that supply is limited means price goes up until potential buyers are weeded out until the one that wants it most buys it. In the case of Turbo 3.6 I think it has got a bit mad, and it's a pity that more and more these seem to attract collectors and speculators.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:22 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70s ferraris r going for what?

Original sticker times ????
Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter

If you can find a very high mileage 964 fixer upper for $10-15k and spend another $15-20k min to bring it back or a 3.3 T for $55-65k and spend $25-35k is it worth it? These cars aren't getting any younger.

We should all be grateful these prices stayed low for as long as they had. It was about time the market corrected itself but now the speculators have ruined it for the enthusiast.

The bubble may burst but I already see signs of it leveling off so I suspect it will settle out as the muscle cars have done however the right examples will always hold their value.

That is the big question how long will you have to wait or risk missing out completely?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Gentlemen...it's been quite some time since I checked in and Rennlist has never failed me since I started lurking 6-7 years ago. I knew there would be a topic on the appreciation of these cars. Nice thread.

I drive my car about 2K per year and live in the NY area (Westchester County). Last summer Manhattan Motors had a car identical to mine with similar mileage in the low 30K range. It was a 91 with what I thought to be replica Speedlines. I was floored when I asked about the price of the car when he said a firm $99.9K. I thought wow these cars have appreciated but it'll be interesting to see where this ends up. I don't know what it sold for but the sales guy said it'd be easier to find a used Bugatti....fast forward almost a year later and I recently did a search on Autotrader.com and now I'm more amazed.

When I found this car:http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...76781592&Log=0

I called the dealership which was in Long Island and played as if I had no knowledge of these cars. He said they price them to sell and it's a reflection of what the market will bare. I know that's sales talk but he did say they sold a 3.6 two weeks ago for $210K. He even offered to prove that to me if I came in. He said he had some wiggle room on the $159.9K asking price but not a lot.

For me like some of you as much as I love my car I am thinking if these prices get any higher I'd consider selling. I get my car serviced at Rennwerke and even Cheech who runs the place said ALL Turbos are starting to appreciate. I think he must have meant all air cooled because there is no way the 997 Turbo is appreciating as that one still hasn't hit bottom...

The problem in selling is what do you get now and if it is a modern Porsche all of the appreciation you gained with the 964 you will lose over the next few years depending on how long you keep the car. I know some of us boast that it's all about the drive and who cares what they are worth. I get that but I'm more concerned about some idiot destroying or reducing the value with some sort of mishap and heaven forbid a major accident.

I've never been uncomfortable driving my car because when I drive it I DRIVE IT...Now it reminds me of playing competitive sports. If you worry about getting hurt...you get hurt! I'm not sure what I will end up doing.

What 911 do you think is currently under valued or which one is at it's bottom? I say that not as an investor but as someone who wants a toy to keep for several years and whenever the time comes to sell won't lose a ton of money. As an example I could sell now and by a 991...and in 4 years it would be worth half of what I paid. I am not a fan of buying new cars and typically have bought preowned to let someone else take the depreciation hit.

I'd love to hear any and all comments and I love lurking and getting insight on all things Porsche...thanks guys (and girls that are out there)
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know the feeling, but keep in mind it will be worth double in two years. I'd only pump it if you really just need the cash, any new car might bore you. Of course, trading it one for one on a new turbo s would be neat.....
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only new car I would consider at getting right now is the upcoming GT3RS.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as it comes with a fire extinguisher......

Quick Reply: Time to reconsider how you view your car?