964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Problem with turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with turn signal

My right side turn signal on the fender wasn't working, thought it was (and could very well have been) a faulty bulb. The turn signal front and rear was working fine.

I removed the cap for the fender mounted turn signal, and changed the bulb. At first it didn't work, fiddeled around a bit and it started blinking but then stopped working. Gave up for the moment and put the cap back.

The strange thing is that the only turn signal working now is the one in the front, allthough the rear bulb is verified to be ok.
The front turn signal is working in dubble pace (which wasn't the case before I started "fixing" things), to my understanding indicating som problem with the turn signal "system"?

I might have caused some damage to the fender mounted signal when fiddeling around with it. Anyway, what is the best approach from here?

The left turn signals are all working fine.
Thanks
Staffan

Last edited by Staffan; 09-11-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi Staffan, welcome back.
Usually if one indicator in the circuit is blinking at double time, it's counterpart bulb is burned out. Did you verify that the rear bulb is still good?
You might have to test the circuit to find the break in the wire, if there is one.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Hi Staffan, welcome back.
Usually if one indicator in the circuit is blinking at double time, it's counterpart bulb is burned out. Did you verify that the rear bulb is still good?
You might have to test the circuit to find the break in the wire, if there is one.
Thanks!
Yes the rear bulb is working.
So I suspect I managed to damage something when working with the fender turn signal.

Do you know how to reach the wiring for the fender turn signal?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The bulb contacts tend to get corrosion, clean off with a swab and some brake cleaner then spray them with wd40. Don't use any type of grease on them.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rstarga
The bulb contacts tend to get corrosion, clean off with a swab and some brake cleaner then spray them with wd40. Don't use any type of grease on them.
Thanks, I will spray all the contacts. Still very likely I caused a wiring problem inside the fender.
Anyone know how I reach the turn signal wiring, guessing I need to reach from the inside, like behind the "glove compartement" (which I no longer have)?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a similar problem. My right blinker sometimes works and sometimes doesn't... It always works when I try to turn the flashers on, but occasionally when I go to turn right hand indicator, it won't... not sure why this is happening.

Could it be that the wire insulation has worn through at a part and it is shorting out on something somewhere??? No idea. Not a huge issue, but annoying..

Quick Reply: Problem with turn signal