Upgrade LSD on my 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
ty_ty_ty
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade LSD on my 3.6

Hello,

I am thinking in upgrade the LSD on my Turbo 3.6 and would like all the folks here give me some input on which to choose.

Many many thanks,

Timmy
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I have also been thinking of an LSD upgrade and also live in Hong Kong.

I have been thinking of getting an LSD from Paul Guard for the last year but am still on the fence of what configuration to get. As there is no where to track my car here unless I ship to Zhuhai, so not sure I need an aggressive track oriented configuration as understeer might be too much. From reading some recent posts it seems that having the current LSD rebuilt is a good option rather than installing a brand new one since the rebuilt one will bolt right in with minimal adjustments/modifications to fit.

There are very few 964 and 993 turbos left in HK...which one/color is yours...maybe I have seen it before? And if you are thinking of selling yours, I might be interested if I can convince the wife why I NEED it!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
ty_ty_ty
Track Day

Hi David,

Thank you for your advice, I am actually looking at getting either Quaife or Carbonetic LSD but not sure which one or the bros can give me some more suggestion.

Mine is a Turbo 3.6 in Slate Grey (non-metallic) which I have restored the car last year with complete engine rebuilt. I do not foresee in selling the car anytime. This is the car, wonder if you have seen it.

Thx,

Timmy
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Wow...gorgeous! Who did the restoration and paintwork? My car could probably use a refresh in the next 18-24 mos.

I think the first question is whether you are definitely set on an LSD or may consider a TBD. It's generally viewed that TBDs are better for street whereas LSD are preferred for race cars or track oriented cars. My understanding is that Quaife is actually a TBD whereas Carbonetic is an LSD, and Guard offers both. I think once you decide between the pros and cons of TBD vs LSD, then you can decide which specific brand and configuration.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM
ty_ty_ty
Track Day

Thank you... It took me almost 10 months in get the car done to the current level. It is not just the paint work but the engine and transmission is break down to the individual component level, remove all glue, old gasket, clean up all internal dirt, rebuild with stud of current technology, change all hoses, harness, and interior. Car feel like brand new. I use the garage Interauto now change name to Hui Jun cos they change owner but the team is the same, you can call them at 2895-6628.

If you are interested, send me PM of your email address and I can share with you the album of the whole rebuild process.

I think I will go for LSD, I will look into Guard's offering. Thx...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ty_ty_ty
...If you are interested, send me PM of your email address and I can share with you the album of the whole rebuild process....
Yes, PM sent!

Originally Posted by ty_ty_ty
...I think I will go for LSD, I will look into Guard's offering. Thx...
Guard also has a TBD...a big benefit is that they do not need regular rebuilds as the plates do now wear like a LSD does. There was a lightly used Guard TBD for sale here and I was really close to getting it. I'm really torn between a TBD, LSD or having Guard rebuild my factory LSD
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car Timmy. May I ask if all this LSD would apply to a 3.3? As I am thinking of replacing it for my car.

David - do you have a pic of your car?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DDIOOS
.....David - do you have a pic of your car?
I have a 993...I've been looking for a 964T for a few years but haven't found the right car yet
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't spend too long looking for one as I'd imagine many will be getting thrashed when/ during their infrequent drives
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone going with the Quaife diff here?

My LSD makes no noise, but dont lock propertly - i thenk it has huge plates worn. So its saveral diff ways to fix it.

1. Make rebuilt stock unit (cost about 1500$)
1.1 Read there about Sport option 40/80 fo our cars, anyone has experience with that?
2. Go to Quaife unit (1000$)
3. Upgrade with KAAZ, OS Giken, Guard.

Traditional LSD with plates has normal worn and needs to service. My unit dont work properly just for 10k miles, i feel that. No track use, but fast driving at streets, right oil, changed 2 times for 10kmiles.
So I am going to go with Quaife, but decide about locking on deceleration. Stock LSD unit make 20/80, 20 acceleration lock and 80 on deceleration. Find some info about that effect, that deceleration lock helps stable car at braking phase:

In the case of the LSD in the GT3, it is a 40% lock factor under acceleration. On decel, in a braking zone for example, with an open diff,...if you turned the wheel, one wheel would spin faster than the other as the friction of the road dictated and the car might oversteer relatively.
With a locked diff, the car would feel very stable under braking and would tend to track straight,....subsequently, it may not want to turn so well. In the case of the GT3 diff, the factor is 60% on the decel side.
Its about gt3, but suitable for any rear engine car.

Quaife dont lock at deceleration. But has more liner and strong lock on acceleration, more that stock 20 present unit.
So trying have sove advice about that with users or good known mechanics. I drove Mitsu Evo fo 10 years, use Quaife for the front diff, best choice, good traction and no service at all.

Picture to attract attention

Old 03-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Max964t36
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel the stock set-up is very good for "quick" road use and occasional track ... the only problem is that in fact if you exploit the mechanics it worns out quickly and starts be noisy ...

Quick Reply: Upgrade LSD on my 3.6