Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Changing air filter

Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
loot87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing air filter

I'm changing my air filter, but the left side of my air box goes over top of the fuel system and has the air conditioning hoses fastened to the top. The left side isn't budging. How do I get it apart to change the filter?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

You need to remove the A/C from the mounts and move it over to side to remove the air box. If you dont want to remove the box you can change the filter by undoing the bolts over the fuel meter, above the Aux air regulator and it should move enough to allow you to open the box up and slide out the filter.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
loot87
Racer

Thanks Youcef. If I want to connect a CIS guage up to test my fuel system, is that something I need to do anyway?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry buddy have no idea on that one, Staffan may be able to help.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm a visual person. Does someone have a pic of what needs to unbolt and move to get access to the airbox?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't you simply unclip the two fastners at front of airbox (towrds rear of car) and slide airfilter out and up?? the outer half of air box pivots on hinge at rear. you do not need to remove entire box
Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralt
can't you simply unclip the two fastners at front of airbox (towrds rear of car) and slide airfilter out and up?? the outer half of air box pivots on hinge at rear. you do not need to remove entire box
As the OP notes, not only is the intercooler partially obstructing the airbox, but the AC hoses are fastened to the top. I don't even know how there's room to open the box even if I could manage to get to the fasteners and remove the hoses. I don't want to take the box out, just open it and change out the filter.

Name:  IMG_3827_zpsebjgun7h.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  196.6 KB

This is probably a lot easier than I'm making out to be, but that's why pics would be helpful.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I've always removed the i/c and a/c compressor but I'm usually doing some other work in conjunction with that.
Before removing the compressor, use a sharpie to mark the forward position of the compressor on the bracket. That way you will re-install the compressor in the right spot and have no belt squeal.
When you take the compressor off, pull it forward and set it on the rear engine compartment sill. Pad the sill with shop rags or a towel beforehand.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:16 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have a different car! I have changed the airfilter numerous times in the 18 years i have had the car.
I dont remove the compresor and dont move the intercooler. The a/c lines attach to the airbox that doesnt have to come off. I undo two snap clips on airbox, the outer 'half' opens enough to slide, wiggle, pull the filter out and there is room to put a new one in. If I had to do what is suggested I would have to pay someone for that aggravation. If you have to work on the CIS fuel system, thats another story
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

I must have a different car! I have changed the airfilter numerous times in the 18 years i have had the car.
I dont remove the compresor and dont move the intercooler. The a/c lines attach to the airbox that doesnt have to come off. I undo two snap clips on airbox, the outer 'half' opens enough to slide, wiggle, pull the filter out and there is room to put a new one in. If I had to do what is suggested I would have to pay someone for that aggravation. If you have to work on the CIS fuel system, thats another story
This was my thinking. How could it be so difficult to just access the airbox to change a filter??

I'll take another look in at my car, but it didn't look like there was room for anything to move enough for me to get it open and get a filter in and out.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:46 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Whelp. Thanks ralt. I feel like an idiot. The OP obviously threw me off and made it infinitely more complicated that it needed to be. You were absolutely correct. Two clips. The bottom clip was a bit a of a pain because one of the lines to the compressor was preventing it from opening up all the way. But that took about 3 minutes and didn't have to remove anything.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 657 Posts

whew - thanks for chiming in guys. I've had my air filter in/out many times, and I've never had to remove anything. I was beginning to question myself, wondering if my memory was really from one of my SC's or something. I must be getting old & forgetful. Plus I've had my IC & A/C compressor out several times over the past 2 years, so I could not remember if I had combined getting the air filter out.

Just wiggle it a lot. It'll come out.
=Steve
Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Just wiggle it a lot. It'll come out.
^^^^
This

Not sure how to do it without damaging it. If it's perforated in any way, it'll be like it's not even there.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
^^^^
This

Not sure how to do it without damaging it. If it's perforated in any way, it'll be like it's not even there.
No wiggling involved in putting the new filter in. Literally just slides in. Get the gasket to seat and close/latch the cover.

As far as removing, it does take a bit of wiggling to 'break' the gasket seal, but who cares. It's going in the trash anyway.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 657 Posts

smile smile Ed. I guess we might have been confused a bit when you first revived a thread from 2006, and asked how to "unbolt" the "airbox". Most of us "assumed" you wanted to change a filter,...

but in the end, this was simply about how to unclip the latches. I laugh at myself sometimes when I make things much harder than they really need to be.
=Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing air filter