964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Changing air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
No wiggling involved in putting the new filter in. Literally just slides in. Get the gasket to seat and close/latch the cover.

As far as removing, it does take a bit of wiggling to 'break' the gasket seal, but who cares. It's going in the trash anyway.
I'm referring to getting the new one in.
As the technical saying goes, "installation is the reverse of removal".
I tried one time to do it and didn't see a way of not destroying the new one. The filter housing end doesn't exactly open up wide, either.
Replacing filters isn't a common occurrence for me; since I get 1k mikes or less on my car every season, air filters tend to last for years.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I was getting concerned. No need to remove anything to replace the air filter. The left side is secured and is only removable by removing the IC but not necessary.

If you need to move the A/C lines the clips on top can be removed one of two ways. They just unclip from behind. Push down in the center and pull up on the back. The plastic top part will just swing around then you can lift and remove the hoses from the clips. There are two; you can push the lines a little once removed from the clips. Those clips also just slide into place and usually can be removed by pulling forward on the entire clip. But be careful not to break it.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was getting concerned.
Too funny Anthony. Funny how I was so quick to second-guess myself.

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you need to move the A/C lines the clips on top can be removed one of two ways. They just unclip from behind. Push down in the center and pull up on the back. The plastic top part will just swing around then you can lift and remove the hoses from the clips. There are two; you can push the lines a little once removed from the clips. Those clips also just slide into place and usually can be removed by pulling forward on the entire clip. But be careful not to break it.
/\ This.

Both my clips were broke when I bought the car 11 yrs ago, and were zip tied (for the longest time I didn't really care). But about 3+ yrs ago I started fixing/replacing things like that. In the end, it is these little things that make a difference in a car like ours. When it is missing nothing, and every last little plastic or small clip type piece is perfect, and the car is overall mechanically sound & the car completely sorted,... it is a wonderful feeling. It took me years to fully understand what RLers meant when they talked about "sorted". it's an easy word to throw around, but to truly understand what it means for YOUR car,.. it takes years to really "know" your car, and do "right" by your car.
hmmm,.... now I'm back to Paul's "Noodling".

So when you get to that point.... & jump in to take a ride, it is so satisfying to know that it performing consistently EVERY time. It makes ownership so enjoyable.

Anyway, I thought I would actually "contribute" here, and supply a part # (for those who get this far in my ramblings), and are in need of these plastic A/C line clips mounted on the air box...

I just updated the last post in this thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...l#post13896110

=Steve

Quick Reply: Changing air filter