Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

H&R coilovers

Old 07-23-2005, 02:34 AM
dryheat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R coilovers

Does anyone have any experience with the H&R coilovers? One of the linked advertisers (VividRacing) sells them for $1800, part number 29835-1. After doing a search I see a lot of you run the H&R lowering springs with Bilstein HD shocks/struts. Advantages to one or the other? Would the coilovers be worth the price difference? I'm not trying to build a race car, it may see a track 2-3 times a year. I was just thinking the ability to adjust the ride height would be pretty slick, I could set it exactly where I want it.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm going to try the Bilstein PSS9's on my '92 You can adjust the height and dampening..
Old 07-23-2005, 02:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Though more expensive, the JIC setup is very nice.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm going to try the Bilstein PSS9's on my '92 You can adjust the height and dampening..

Those that I know who have gone with the PSS9 on the 964 turbo have not been happy. Not to say anything bad about them and I have no first hand experiance, just figured I would let you know what I heard.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:44 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have H&R springs with Bilstein shock/struts. Just another data point.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

FWIW I absolutely love my H&R coil-overs. After putting a RUF sway bar on the rear I think the car handles extremely well. Very solid at high speeds. I will admit its a bit stiff if the road is not pretty smooth, but overall, love it. Stephen at ImagineAuto felt it was a great upgrade after driving the car hard while it was in KC last winter.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
FWIW I absolutely love my H&R coil-overs. After putting a RUF sway bar on the rear I think the car handles extremely well. Very solid at high speeds. I will admit its a bit stiff if the road is not pretty smooth, but overall, love it. Stephen at ImagineAuto felt it was a great upgrade after driving the car hard while it was in KC last winter.
Same here although my coilovers are mounted on my 993 cabrio.
H&R coilovers are a system built with Bilstein shocks specifically valved to H&R specs and springs to match these shocks. For sure better than the H&D/ HR spring combo. The best thing about the H&R's besides the quality and fit is that they tend to stick to factory spring differences. In other words the factory usually has about 100lbs stiffness difference between front and rear. The H&R I have seen keep pretty much this difference unlike the PSS9 which has about 400lbs difference between front and rear... In the 993 case the H&R coilovers are 100lbs stiffer all around than the stock factory specs. Not a huge difference but boy does it make a HUGE difference. Not affiliated with them but a really happy camper with this product.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:21 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Anyone else running the H&R street performance coilovers as opposed to the Bilstein HD/H&R springs setup?

I want to lower purely for aesthetic reasons and from the pics I've seen here with the HD's, the rears always look a touch too high. Wondering if the H&R coilover set with the adjustability would allow me to bring the back down even lower? I'm sure KW V3's would allow me to do that, but they're also almost 2x the price.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I've got them.
The PO put them on the car and one of the first things I had to do was raise my car to get it to RS height.
The ride was unbearable with so little suspension travel. At RS height the ride is acceptable. Handling is also acceptable with the disclaimer that I'm speaking of street driving where I'm at 6/10ths of the handling limit.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:50 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I've got them.
The PO put them on the car and one of the first things I had to do was raise my car to get it to RS height.
The ride was unbearable with so little suspension travel. At RS height the ride is acceptable. Handling is also acceptable with the disclaimer that I'm speaking of street driving where I'm at 6/10ths of the handling limit.
Paul, you have these?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...1&autoModClar=

I don't want to slam it and make the ride intolerable, but I think I'd like it to be a touch lower than the springs alone or the Bilstein HD/H&R springs setup are capable of doing.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Paul, you have these?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...1&autoModClar=

I don't want to slam it and make the ride intolerable, but I think I'd like it to be a touch lower than the springs alone or the Bilstein HD/H&R springs setup are capable of doing.
I have had several suspensions in my turbo. Including the H&R supercup (NLA as used in the race series) which is very stiff. Honestly these cars handle like crap stock and with the supercup suspension it came to life but was way to uncomfortable for street driving. Although the considerable difference in spring and dampening rates I was surprised to see that the average bumps did not feel much less harsh when I switched back to the H&R/HD combo. I also tried the greens at one time and they were way to soft and caused the car to lean far too much. You might consider H&R sways while your at it.

Y65MPH hasn't posted in a long time but he had the early version of the H&R setup you posted. It is better than the bilstein PSS systems and you can adjust them to suit your driving needs. I don't know anything about the system you posted but if you are looking mostly for cosmetic changes the HD's can be adjusted to the way you like if you don't like much rake make that clear when they are setting up the car. The biggest issue and reasoning behind the higher rear is these cars squat a lot under full acceleration and as you go up in spring rates you can dial more of that out.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:22 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Funny part about reviving this thread is that it was started by the previous owner of my Car :-) So yeah I have H&R coilovers. Overall I like them I wish they were a little softer around town on our craptastic roads here in Denver - but at speed and on smoother roads I think they limit roll and the car handles good - now that said I have not driven these cars with other setups so maybe ignorance is bliss in my case.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:33 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have had several suspensions in my turbo. Including the H&R supercup (NLA as used in the race series) which is very stiff. Honestly these cars handle like crap stock and with the supercup suspension it came to life but was way to uncomfortable for street driving. Although the considerable difference in spring and dampening rates I was surprised to see that the average bumps did not feel much less harsh when I switched back to the H&R/HD combo. I also tried the greens at one time and they were way to soft and caused the car to lean far too much. You might consider H&R sways while your at it.

Y65MPH hasn't posted in a long time but he had the early version of the H&R setup you posted. It is better than the bilstein PSS systems and you can adjust them to suit your driving needs. I don't know anything about the system you posted but if you are looking mostly for cosmetic changes the HD's can be adjusted to the way you like if you don't like much rake make that clear when they are setting up the car. The biggest issue and reasoning behind the higher rear is these cars squat a lot under full acceleration and as you go up in spring rates you can dial more of that out.
HD's/H&R springs would be the best (i.e. cheapest) route aside from springs alone. But with 25 year old dampers, I should probably just invest in a new setup. I just haven't seen a car with this combo that's low enough for my liking.

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Funny part about reviving this thread is that it was started by the previous owner of my Car :-) So yeah I have H&R coilovers. Overall I like them I wish they were a little softer around town on our craptastic roads here in Denver - but at speed and on smoother roads I think they limit roll and the car handles good - now that said I have not driven these cars with other setups so maybe ignorance is bliss in my case.
Ride is pretty jarring now as it is. Either the Boge shocks and/or the rock hard Nitto NT-01's make the ride pretty firm as it is. So, in my case, I think almost anything would be an improvement.

Brandon, do you have the coilover setup seen in the link I posted?

Do you have anymore pics of your car?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the H&R and Bilstien HD set up have had since 2003. I'm in Houston and my car is currently at the shop that did the work.....owner is heavily involved with local PCA club. Happy to pass info so you can go,see mine and ask his opinion. He builds rAce cars also so can advise. Mine is street use only.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:41 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Picture of set up
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H&R coilovers