Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

fumes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the exact same thing on my 505, it was the charcoal filter.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Check all of the lines that carry fuel or vapor.
By now the original rubber lines are getting spongy. The small amount of methanol that modern gas blends aren't helping the situation.
Areas to check:
* Fuel tank and expansion tank (there are a lot of lines associated with the fuel tank; I've had to replace all the lines on the fuel tank and expansion tank on my car)
* Vent line back to engine compartment and lines to the carbon canister
* All fuel lines

I don't think I would replace the filler pipe or carbon canister. Reasons being:
* Many have gone to the expense of replacing the filler pipe (including myself) with <0> results
* The activated charcoal in the canister can absorb hydrocarbons forever. If fuel should enter the canister for any reason, then it must be replaced.

Many 964 series cars have this issue.
I personally believe that the problem resides either with the control valve (which manages the flow of vapors between the fuel tank and engine) or the placement of the canister fresh air line (right behind the driver's door).
I plan on doing a little experimental work on this in the early spring.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Sorry to revive an old thread, esp since I don't think it's the same problem as others here have had.

Car gives off a fairly strong 'chemical' odor. I say chemical because it doesn't smell like fuel. Almost more like paint?? It permeates the garage and is particularly strong inside the cabin after it's been sitting for more than a few hours. It quickly goes away after driving and operating the HVAC system. No egregious fluid leaks other than the typical oil weep under the car. Car has not been repainted (at least not that I know of and definitely not recently even if so). I chalked it up to 'old car fumes', but I doubt this is normal.
Hope you're enjoying the toy. It didn't appear to have any paint work when I saw it but I did not meter the car.

If you recall I had noticed some minor oil leaks. Do you think they used some kind of solvent to clean the heater boxes and is slowly burning off? I just cleaned a friends C2 and his boxes had 1/4" of oil in them. No matter how hard we tried we could only get the obvious oil and the seams around the boxes held some oil and residue of the cleaning solution. It took a number of heat cycles and blowing out the ventilation system for it to go away. Initially the vents were blowing thick smoke, now there is no smoke but it will be a while before the smell is all gone.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I just cleaned a friends C2 and his boxes had 1/4" of oil in them. No matter how hard we tried we could only get the obvious oil and the seams around the boxes held some oil and residue of the cleaning solution. It took a number of heat cycles and blowing out the ventilation system for it to go away. Initially the vents were blowing thick smoke, now there is no smoke but it will be a while before the smell is all gone.

I thought oil smell when the heat was on was a core characteristic of 911 ownership; kind of like an aphrodisiac
Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I thought oil smell when the heat was on was a core characteristic of 911 ownership; kind of like an aphrodisiac
LOL.

Oh de air-cooled cologne. We should bottle it.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Check all of the lines that carry fuel or vapor.
By now the original rubber lines are getting spongy. The small amount of methanol that modern gas blends aren't helping the situation.
Areas to check:
* Fuel tank and expansion tank (there are a lot of lines associated with the fuel tank; I've had to replace all the lines on the fuel tank and expansion tank on my car)
* Vent line back to engine compartment and lines to the carbon canister
* All fuel lines

I don't think I would replace the filler pipe or carbon canister. Reasons being:
* Many have gone to the expense of replacing the filler pipe (including myself) with <0> results
* The activated charcoal in the canister can absorb hydrocarbons forever. If fuel should enter the canister for any reason, then it must be replaced.

Many 964 series cars have this issue.
I personally believe that the problem resides either with the control valve (which manages the flow of vapors between the fuel tank and engine) or the placement of the canister fresh air line (right behind the driver's door).
I plan on doing a little experimental work on this in the early spring.
Geez. Maybe I'll have the shop look at it next time it's in. But from what I've read thus far, fixing/replacing a lot of these parts seems to only diminish and not resolve the problem.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Hope you're enjoying the toy. It didn't appear to have any paint work when I saw it but I did not meter the car.

If you recall I had noticed some minor oil leaks. Do you think they used some kind of solvent to clean the heater boxes and is slowly burning off? I just cleaned a friends C2 and his boxes had 1/4" of oil in them. No matter how hard we tried we could only get the obvious oil and the seams around the boxes held some oil and residue of the cleaning solution. It took a number of heat cycles and blowing out the ventilation system for it to go away. Initially the vents were blowing thick smoke, now there is no smoke but it will be a while before the smell is all gone.
It's been great. Only a few hundred miles so far, but I take it out every chance I get.
Car was paint metered before I bought it. So, no repaint. It just smells like paint. Or maybe it is fuel??? Doesn't smell like gas out of the pump though. Whatever it is, it's not burning off or diminishing in intensity. I went for quick drive with my son this past weekend and the smell seemed even more intense. Heater was on and the smell was pretty concentrated on initial startup but, again, dissipated after driving for a while.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Possibly a freon leak at the expansion valve just on top of the evaporator coils , sits
Directly under the cowl center of the dash vents..
Good number of O rings in this area if A/C were run or even just tested bringing to pressure could create a chemical fume in interior ,, ask me how I know ...
Just a thought , thanks Bert
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Possibly a freon leak at the expansion valve just on top of the evaporator coils , sits
Directly under the cowl center of the dash vents..
Good number of O rings in this area if A/C were run or even just tested bringing to pressure could create a chemical fume in interior ,, ask me how I know ...
Just a thought , thanks Bert
Would the smell be noticeable with the car parked? Fumes accumulate while the car is sitting. After a few minutes of running the A/C or heat, it dissipates.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Geez. Maybe I'll have the shop look at it next time it's in. But from what I've read thus far, fixing/replacing a lot of these parts seems to only diminish and not resolve the problem.
Like most problems with cars, the causes can vary greatly. What's making your issue difficult to diagnose over the internet is your description of the odor. Based on that, you have no other choice then to check every possible cause.
If it is a fuel odor (and sounds like it to me, except for the smell part), I may have a solution in the spring.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:23 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Like most problems with cars, the causes can vary greatly. What's making your issue difficult to diagnose over the internet is your description of the odor. Based on that, you have no other choice then to check every possible cause.
If it is a fuel odor (and sounds like it to me, except for the smell part), I may have a solution in the spring.
Understood. It may indeed be fuel, but it doesn't smell like gas at the fuel pump.
It's more of an annoyance at this point. No codes, no puddles on the garage floor, and most importantly, I haven't passed out from the fumes

Looking forward to what you find.

Quick Reply: fumes