fumes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:27 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spencer:

Sounds like it is time to search for fuel leaks in the rear.

I would start with what is clearly visible in the rear. You can stuff some rags in strategic locations to see if anything drips when you operate your car. The right side of the engine is your fuel pump and three injection lines. If that doesn't get it, you will need to trace the other hoses and fittings in your fuel system.

When you are under boost, your fuel system is at full flow, that's when a leak would be most prominent. I suggest not driving the car except to diagnose the problem. This is the way car fires get started so be careful.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
spencer uk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responces
i think i can safely say there are no leaking pipes etc, nothing that obvious.
One thing i have noticed very strong at the air box intake not the usual faint smell, very strong!
does anyone know if there is some sort of regulator valve in this area?
I am having to leave car outside for an hour when i get home otherwise the whole house fills with petrol fumes (integral garage) gives you some idea!
must get this sorted soon
"seasons greetings" to all
Spencer
Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am reviving this thread because I've just had the same problem - pulled into the garage after a normal drive, and now the whole house smells like gasoline. Could this be the WUR?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I am reviving this thread because I've just had the same problem - pulled into the garage after a normal drive, and now the whole house smells like gasoline. Could this be the WUR?
Could be any number of things. With a smell that strong sounds like you have a significant leak. Check all lines, hoses, fittings, WURS etc. I would roll the car out of the garage before starting it. You might try removing the air box and lifting the air flow plate, there is a switch that activates the fuel pump once the plate is lifted a little. I don't believe you will flood the engine this way since the pump will just cycle the fuel through the system and back to the tank. Although if it is cold it might pump fuel into the plenum via the 7th injector. Then check for any noticeable signs of fuel. You might be able to rent a sniffer from a local rental shop that might be able to track down the proximity of the leak otherwise use your nose and eyes. If this doesn't result in a noticeable leak than check all your lines, banjo bolts, etc from the fuel head to the injectors. If everything looks OK try starting the car (after replacing air box/IC etc.) and see if you smell it again. I wouldn't let the car get too hot though just to be safe and have a halon fire extinguisher nearby.

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Gandara
Pro

Mine smells a little too, what is a WUR ?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gandara
Mine smells a little too, what is a WUR ?
Warm Up Regulator - apparently the heart and soul of the extremely complex fuel injection system on our cars.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I also forgot these cars had issues with the filler tube. Has yours been updated. If not did you get gas just before arriving home?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
neilbp
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem. My garage would fill with gas fumes after I shut the engine. There would be no sign of a gas leak anywhere. The problem turned out to be a leak in the fitting where the line to the control pressure regulator attaches to the fuel distributor. Once this was fixed the problem was solved.
Hope this helps.
Neil
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

The diaphragms can fail in the WUR and fuel will go through the vent and in to the air box.

Brian Leask can repair and fit a stronger diaphragm to your WUR.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Nathan is bang on, if your WUR is leaking your airbox will be soaked with fuel, your car will be running like crap too
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I had a strong smell of fuel, and took it to the garage to check it out. He 'forbad' me to drive out! It was a fuel pipe, a corrosion hole, the size of a pin! Very dangerous... and unfortunately expensive to fix as it was the long one piece from front to back.
Good luck, and be safe.

PS: Hopefully a more minor issue. I remember that the filler caps and necks on our tanks can be a problem and leaking here is not uncommon.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Wasn't there an issue with a gasket on the tank itself with the 964/965 Turbo. Mine also had a slight fuel smell coming from the trunk/bonnet.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Wasn't there an issue with a gasket on the tank itself with the 964/965 Turbo. Mine also had a slight fuel smell coming from the trunk/bonnet.
This might help.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/fuel.htm
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
pnoob2
Advanced

I also have this unburnt exhaust/rubber/clutch smell. I cant really describe the smell to be exact but ironically it smells like radiator fluid from a water cooled car =). Now I know its impossible to be that being its air cooled, but its the most similar odor I can relate it to.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:58 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, esp since I don't think it's the same problem as others here have had.

Car gives off a fairly strong 'chemical' odor. I say chemical because it doesn't smell like fuel. Almost more like paint?? It permeates the garage and is particularly strong inside the cabin after it's been sitting for more than a few hours. It quickly goes away after driving and operating the HVAC system. No egregious fluid leaks other than the typical oil weep under the car. Car has not been repainted (at least not that I know of and definitely not recently even if so). I chalked it up to 'old car fumes', but I doubt this is normal.

Quick Reply: fumes