1991 C2 Prospect

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:35 PM
flomofo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1991 C2 Prospect

Hello,

I have been on the hunt for a while and found this one locally at a used/consignment dealer if you guys could pick it apart for me...

http://www.gtautolounge.com/vehicle-...17f3d1bdbcbf8/

First concerns are paint/body due to previous collision and almost 100k miles with no reported rebuild or reseal.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has a PPI been conducted? leak down? paint readings? Pictures and records of previous collision? Have you taken a look at the Porsche in person?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM
flomofo
Intermediate

Going soon hopefully to check that, but no mention of any of that in the ad. Which leads me to believe it is definitely a used lot sold as is kind of car.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:05 PM
flomofo
Intermediate

Went to get a quick look before the dealer closed and an inspection was done by Schatz and Krum in Sacramento. The report will be emailed to me but aside from a few small leaks it had good compression/leak down numbers. It appeared to be mostly stock in the engine bay minus an aftermarket exhaust (I could not tell what kind it was).

Inside, it had an aftermarket stereo, holes on the side of tunnel by the shifter where a lot of people installed cell phone holders, the usual heavy bolster wear on the driver seat and a worn shifter boot with semi worn mats but decent overall. The door panels however, were loose on both doors. Both how they were attached in some spots and also the lower door pockets to the rest of the door panel. The pockets also randomly had the crossovers for the aftermarket door speakers in there. I did not have enough time to check the trunk fully but everything seemed to be there although the tools were a bit scattered and I did not have time to check for the annoying aftermarket amplifier holes some cars have.

Outside, the car has definitely been repainted and not very well so I expect paint failure not far down the road but it at least is holding on for dear life now.

The current owner has owned the car for about 15 years according to the salesman and it had one reported collision. The owner said he was at a stop sign and was going to drift the car but lost control of the rear end into some sort of posted sign. The rear bumper was supposedly the only thing that needed to be replaced and there is supposed to be a police report somewhere on it since they showed up and arrested the owner for DUI...

Hopefully the report will shed more light on the rest of the car like the suspension/frame and if any other damage was checked for around the car.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the mileage and not having top end work. Your eyes will tell you if this is an issue. Is it leaking oil, is it smoking, does it sound strange, does it pull strong through the entire band? I'm not big on PPI's. I believe you can tell a lot from looking, listening and driving. If your eyes see issues, then further examination may be needed. But don't look for something that is not there. My car has over 109,000 and has never had and currently does not need top end work. It may in the future, but I'll deal with that when it gets here. Also, every car has a price. Even with your concerns, it's still worth something. Every car is.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

+1
160,000 miles and pulls (pushes) like a train and smooth as a whistle.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 AM
flomofo
Intermediate

The interior and body work started to seem like more of a concern due to bad jobs costing more to fix since you can't slap more paint on it to cover stuff up. I also have not tried to source or repair interior parts for a 964 before...

The engine bay was pretty wet at the hoses running under the intake area but it otherwise appeared to have the expected build up/sludge everywhere else.

At the end of the day it looks to be a worn but mostly stock driver that could use a paint job/interior refresh eventually. What seems like a fair offer for a good running project?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The cars been on the market for a fairly long time in terms of a 964 market days supply. A lot of people must have seen it and passed on it for a reason.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a good look at the engine fan. Looks pretty corroded and at that age could be failing. Mine did 4 years ago at a bit more than 70K miles.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

SERIOUSLY? Read what you wrote below.

The current owner has owned the car for about 15 years according to the salesman and it had one reported collision. The owner said he was at a stop sign and was going to drift the car but lost control of the rear end into some sort of posted sign. The rear bumper was supposedly the only thing that needed to be replaced and there is supposed to be a police report somewhere on it since they showed up and arrested the owner for DUI...
If that's what a used car salesman tells you, the truth is likely FAR FAR worse. This would be a nonstarter for me...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 PM
flomofo
Intermediate

I would normally cross it off the list but am contemplating a fair price for a possible basket case since it is the only black c2 I have seen within normal driving distance after a year of looking...but ya definitely not a cream puff.

Quick Reply: 1991 C2 Prospect