Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recovering the handbrake lever. Anyone done it and can share tips and sources?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
John, ever look into refinishing the leather? I've heard good results on the Leatherique re-dye kits. I have their steering wheel kit to do on my Mercedes (have been too lazy to get started ). That would keep the original fitment and refresh the appearance, at least. I'd imagine some very fine sandpaper on a light wet sanding could soften the scuffs a bit.
Chris, I'm reluctant to touch the existing one without a solid plan B.

Another Rennlister has been in contact, explaining how the original is fitted. I didn't know that the **** end just slides off, which explains why the fit is so different i.e. the original is two upholstered parts slid together. I will never replicate the join using sewn parts. It needs to be two parts to the kit. I may unstitch the kit and fit to another handbrake.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 338 Posts

A fellow Rennlister sent me a spare handbrake.

I removed the leather to see what's required. Famous last words but it doesn't look that difficult. I've decided to do it in two sections so have separated the Classic 9 kit. Now I'm researching how to form the leather.
Attached Images         

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recovering the handbrake lever. Anyone done it and can share tips and sources?