Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Certified

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Classic Certified

Got a flier today, Classic Center in SoCal wants to serve me German Brats and Beer this March. Only 1 of 4 in the country... we'll see where this concept goes....
Old 02-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'm sure the indy garages and indy consigners are thrilled.

But why wouldn't Porsche want a piece of the action here? there is a cult-like following with their cars, the people that own them (now that they're not just "old cars") are dumping $ into them to keep and make them great. So make parts again, get rid of all that NLA stuff, charge crazy prices, get some dealers with good techs... Profit.

I got the same email from pacific, or I guess its now South Bay Porsche. I bought 1 car from them a couple years ago, decent enough people, although my favorite for customer service continues to be circle which is 10 minutes from me.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Will be watching from the sideline... let's hope they get "supply chain" overstocked with parts and have a sale on things I need ... Darn Porsche Tax is ridiculous....
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Will be watching from the sideline... let's hope they get "supply chain" overstocked with parts and have a sale on things I need ... Darn Porsche Tax is ridiculous....
I'd like to see that too but I don't see that happening. The upside to this though is more OEM parts that are factory quality or ARE the factory part thats now used.

True fact: Shop ordered a fender for a customer for a long hood. FACTORY fender, from Porsche. Came with Dansk markings on it. Just repackaged.

Porsche parts across the board have gone up a LOT in the last 24mo. Example is a case from a 997 GT3. The case used to be about 3500. Now they are nearly 7000 for the 2 pieces.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotta prop up the VAG p&l somehow after taking those dieselgate losses.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I just want a new rear window gasket for my Targa.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

We have two out here by me Paul Miller and Porsche of Roslyn. We are having a big kick off on April 1 at PM along with an event for old time PCA members. Should be interesting to see where this leads. There is big money in vintage car restoration. Somehow I don't think that prices will go in the direction we want them to.

When I was building my track car two years ago I watched as prices jumped sometimes 100% in just a few months.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
We have two out here by me Paul Miller and Porsche of Roslyn. We are having a big kick off on April 1 at PM along with an event for old time PCA members. Should be interesting to see where this leads. There is big money in vintage car restoration. Somehow I don't think that prices will go in the direction we want them to. When I was building my track car two years ago I watched as prices jumped sometimes 100% in just a few months.
I've been researching my family history. A relative had a new 1904 Darracq. The same model is running around my suburb 113 years on. 964s are mere pups in comparison. There are decades of profits here. While I wince at some of the parts prices it's better than NLA for gearbox parts....
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I've watched Porsche parts pricing for 44+ years and sometimes its a challenge to figure things out.

More recently, we've seen much larger jumps in pricing than in years past and I think a lot of that is due to the FAR smaller quantities they order. Virtually every car manufacturer has adopted "just-in-time" inventory control and that means higher component prices. Factory NOS stuff that was priced from 20 years ago is now much higher due to much smaller orders and a reflection of today's material and overhead costs.

In some cases, I've seen opportunism drive prices upward and thats simply the "Porsche Tax" at work. I would not be surprised that their legal issues play a role here.

To be fair, I see a lot of price decreases every month, too.

Many do not know, but Porsche revises parts prices at the beginning of every month as part of the PET/PIWIS system.

I distinctly remember 19 cents/gallon premium gas, but thats not coming back either.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I've watched Porsche parts pricing for 44+ years and sometimes its a challenge to figure things out.

More recently, we've seen much larger jumps in pricing than in years past and I think a lot of that is due to the FAR smaller quantities they order. Virtually every car manufacturer has adopted "just-in-time" inventory control and that means higher component prices. Factory NOS stuff that was priced from 20 years ago is now much higher due to much smaller orders and a reflection of today's material and overhead costs.

In some cases, I've seen opportunism drive prices upward and thats simply the "Porsche Tax" at work. I would not be surprised that their legal issues play a role here.

To be fair, I see a lot of price decreases every month, too.

Many do not know, but Porsche revises parts prices at the beginning of every month as part of the PET/PIWIS system.

I distinctly remember 19 cents/gallon premium gas, but thats not coming back either.
19 cents huh you beat me by 10 cents LOL.

I have seen some parts drop as well myself but usually far less often than going up. I don't know if it is true and from what I have heard it is with motorsports that when they have a lot of parts in inventory the price is low and as quantity dwindles it goes up.

John that is cool.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
19 cents huh you beat me by 10 cents LOL. I have seen some parts drop as well myself but usually far less often than going up. I don't know if it is true and from what I have heard it is with motorsports that when they have a lot of parts in inventory the price is low and as quantity dwindles it goes up. John that is cool.
Anthony, he was a car nut. He had the 17th car in NZ. In touch with his feminine side as well by the looks of it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Wild.

We had a underside car review at Paul Miller Porsche yesterday. They used my C2 for the 964 comparison. Had their classic display setup. They are all being tested on the variations of the different models and history of the cars. Not like selling other marques no doubt.

The release was supposed to be yesterday, we were all afraid the weather would be awful so April 1 it is.

Unfortunately I had to leave early for my God daughter's 5th Bday so I missed the review of the 991 R underside.

It was nice to have people see the underside of my car vs the topside as always.

I have to admit I like the looks of the 718 boxster but not so fond of the 718 cayman.
Attached Images       
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain what this means?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

John,

Pic is awesome... Wide open countryside in the background ... Point A to B in those days must of meant ALL day trip ... and what was plan if it rained?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This interaction with the Police of the day gives a sense of the pace.

Dr. Purchas and Family (wife and two sons) were probably in their happiest time in the above photo.

Later on, in 1915, he served in WWI in Gallipoli, Turkey (a very important battle to those from Australia and New Zealand).

His wife went with him as a volunteer in the Egyptian sited field hospital. She died of Typhoid soon after arriving. The grave site has been lost. He was a surgeon on the ship based just offshore of the war zone. He had two sons in the trenches (the boys in the back seat). Both survived but one was shot through the neck. He also lost a nephew in the trenches. I dont think he was ever the same....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Certified