Anybody with the experience of 93 964 RS and 88 Porsche 930

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody with the experience of 93 964 RS and 88 Porsche 930

Hey Guys,
If you have owned or driven the 964 RS America and 930 turbo, Let me know your experience? Why do you like one or other better? Which is more Fun? Which is a keeper? Post your thoughts, Thx
Old 02-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I have owned both of these too. They're both keepers and they're very very different cars. Learning to drive the 930 anywhere near its potential is a whole different skill set. The RSA is much more user friendly and easier to live with. On the other hand, the 930 is just a blast to drive. Raw and visceral, long travel on the gear shift, 4 speed tranny keep your right foot planted and keep on the boost.

I like em both, but they're very very different cars.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

You've been poking around at some pretty interesting cars. I have owned just about every version of the 964 sold in the US over the years except for a regular 964 Cab. Unfortunately for me I owned them when they were just late model used cars and sold them long before todays values.

I am not really a cab guy but the 94 Speedster was one of my all time favorite cars that I have actually owned. The RSA and the 94 widebody were close seconds. Both of those were red which is my least favorite color, oh well. The 930's I owned were really fun cars, the 89 was a RUF modded car with the Porsche G50/50 5 speed. Wicked car.

If you're looking for a car to have fun with thats not a "run of the mill" 911 or 964 (if there is such a thing) why not build something really cool? None of these cars are good investments, thats not an opinion its just a fact in todays world.

I have an 88 Targa thats really really nice with 72k miles and some easy mods. I have an 88 coupe with 63k miles that is very nice too. I was going to back date the Targa but its too nice to cut up and its a special color (Cassis Red) so I don't feel good about chopping it up. The coupe as nice as it is and low miles is just another guards red coupe. I am putting together a three stage plan to build what I really want. Its going to be an quasi IROC replica. I am collecting parts for the wide body conversion and IROC bumpers. First stage is body and paint. Drive it for a while with just the body work done. Then step into the performance and suspension. Finally, I'll gut the interior and do it up right too. It will be fun to work on. I don't do body or paint so I have to farm that out.

In the end I am going for this look with out the tail (no tail at all) but in a different color, with stainless trim not black. Eventually it will have either a 3.6 or a hot rodded 3.4 twin plug ITB motor. I have a set of Pole Positions I bought a few years back. In the end the interior will be minimalist with heat probably no AC. I am not looking for a track car. I gave up going to the track with the cars after the first day I spent on the track on a bike. Its a lot cheaper to track a bike too! I am working out the numbers, putting together my spreadsheet for budgets and collecting parts. I figured breaking it down into three phases is the best way to do it.

The point being... don't buy a one of these cars thinking its an investment, buy or create what you want. The 930, the RSA and the C4 Widebody are all okay storer's of value, meaning you wont lose much net net (taxes and cost to carry) over the years but they really wont perform as investments so drive what you want!

Good luck... oh and thanks to whoever's car this is for the inspiration.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Trader220; 02-11-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:02 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the RS America isn't even a real RS, imho.
save a bunch of bucks and buy a sorted 964 C2 - a non-sunroof car would be an added asset.
proceed to driving and enjoying the car, without worrying much about the perceived value.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 PM
toms930
AutoX

I own close enough for the C2 RSA and an 88 930.

- 91 C2 RS America look lowered to RS ride height with H&R Green springs and Bilstein HD shocks and Struts. Cat and Primary muffler bypass with SW chip.

- 88 930 stock except for lowered to Euro height, cat bypass 1.0 bar boost spring.

They drive completely different. Need to anticipate the boost on the turbo when it hits. It's not well suited for the track or autocross the 4 speed and lack of torque pre-boost hinders that. The C2 is a blast to drive plenty of low end torque and linear power delivery. I would say the C2 is the superior handling car with the updated coil over suspension. Although the rush of the Turbo on boost is second to none.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:43 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned 4 964's and 6 930's but not exact cars you want to compare. I really like them both but they are very different. Right now I have one 964 and two 930's- if I could only keep one not sure what I would do to be honest. Year's ago I had a 2005 GT3 and a RSR clone and only wanted to keep one- I sold the GT3 because I figured it was factory car and I could always buy another. I think it really comes down to how you will use car- drive one of each and see if you can make a decision. You can always own one and sell it and buy the other- nothing wrong with the serial approach.

Phil
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

'You've been poking around at some pretty interesting cars. I have owned just about every version of the 964 sold in the US over the years except for a regular 964 Cab. Unfortunately for me I owned them when they were just late model used cars and sold them long before todays values.'

Trader220, Yes, I have, trying to come to a conclusion of which is best for me, that why I have to ask the experts here. I did almost pull the trigger on the 94 964 C4, which you quote the price right, don't want to mention who, but PPI wasn't so good. Very Nice Idea on the IROC, inspirational White Porsche!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

toms930, Great set of Porsche you have! I had 930 Euro in early 2000, it's been awhile, kind of forgotten how it drives, I test drove a 964 RSA, sure feel pretty Good!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

Phil,

I've driven a 930 a while back, just kind of blank memories, Always a widebody guy, but I was able to try the 964 RSA, Not bad! It's making me think twice...
Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

I love wide bodies as well but pretty hard to beat a nice 964 as a driver. There has been a lot of compression in pricing between C2's and RSA's over the last couple of years. I think's it's a good time to shop for a RSA.
Phil
Old 02-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Having driven the Euro 964RS and the RSA, they are totally and completely different cars.

The RS is a brilliant package and if I could afford one, that would be my ONLY Porsche. Nothing else like it at all.

On a freeway, a 930 will certainly out-accelerate the RS, but everywhere else, the RS is the machine to have.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Having driven the Euro 964RS and the RSA, they are totally and completely different cars.

The RS is a brilliant package and if I could afford one, that would be my ONLY Porsche. Nothing else like it at all.

On a freeway, a 930 will certainly out-accelerate the RS, but everywhere else, the RS is the machine to have.
Steve,

Could not agree more- I've am lucky enough to own a track version of the 964 US Carrera Cup - a road legal 964 Cup, probably a little hard core for most folks but an amazing and fun car.

Phil
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 AM
89Spedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Can you detail Euro 964 RS what it has versus the RSA? It is something you can add on? To make it compatible, It sound like the Euro 964 RS is like a Myth, Legend... Or are we just thinking the other side is always greener?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 89Spedster
Can you detail Euro 964 RS what it has versus the RSA? It is something you can add on? To make it compatible, It sound like the Euro 964 RS is like a Myth, Legend... Or are we just thinking the other side is always greener?
The RS is really a completely different car- it's more what you leave off than ad on, addition by subtraction. No undercoating, seam welded chassis, upgraded suspension and brakes, gutted interior, Mag wheels, close ratio tranny, aluminum hood, thin glass- the standard Porsche playbook for a correct RS model.

The RSA had cloth sport seats, manual steering and M30 suspension- was sold at a $10k discount over standard C2 when new.

Phil
Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

930 is a turd. A pretty one but one of the worst driving of all 911's. 4 speed gear box is long no torque boost comes on and wam but really not that fast of a car. Add in the additional maintenance and the cars make no sense to own if your going to drive it. Step up to a 964 turbo and you create a whole new argument

RS America is a parts bin marketing ploy that worked real well. Don't get me wrong I loved mine but fancy sport seats and a manual rack is not worth the $60k premium.

Find a good C2. Pay $60k-$70k for it do a few mods and you will have one of the most enjoyable driving experiences Porsche ever created for under $100k.

Quick Reply: Anybody with the experience of 93 964 RS and 88 Porsche 930