Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top - #12853 Current Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Optima Red Top - #12853 Current Replacement

I did search but failed to find the answer.

Anyone know if there is a current Optima Red Top that fits a 964?

I currently have an Optima Red Top 75/35 #12853 in my '90 C2. This was purchased at Costco in the US, and I believe this part # was unique to Optima batteries sold at Costco.

In any event, it is about 8 years old and is on the way out. Having had good luck with Optima, I wanted to simply replace it, like for like, but according to Optima, they do not make a drop in replacement.

I did find some links on the web saying that the Optima 8022-091 is a replacement for the 12853, but I am not sure I trust them. here is one:

http://www.impactbattery.com/optima-...g-battery.html

Every other vendor that I have checked that has an online Vehicle Fitment Tool, Optima included, says that Optima does not make a current replacement battery for a 964. I have had no luck finding a local vendor that stocks the Red Tops, so the only way to know for sure would be to order the 8022-091 and hope it fits.

There are other options available locally (Duralast, Interstate, Bosch), but Optima is my first choice, if they make one.

Anyone cross this bridge before?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Stay far far away from optima. Ever since they switched ownership to JCI their quality has gone to crap.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had terrible luck with batteries of all types... Optima, Interstate... the only one now that seems to work is Exide (repped at FLAPS) and easy to return.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and you will have hard time connecting the + terminal
Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
and you will have hard time connecting the + terminal
Are you taking about the current Optima?

If so, why is that? The current battery has top posts. The images I have seen of the current Optima also has top posts.

This was all much easier 8 years ago. :-)

Edit: Never mind. Found a thread at Pelican showing how the posts are moved inboard preventing the positive clamp from reaching.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 01-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have also had less the satisfactory experience with Optima in the past few years. Same for Odyssey. Each died right at the three year warranty point.....

I needed a battery quickly for the 964 the other day and put in a Deka AGM. We'll see how it does. Gathering bits to go lightweight next time !!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

I am going to go with a Bosch AGM from, of all places, Pep Boys.

That was the best local option available to me.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I've had good luck with the Bosch AGM from Pepboys. Have them in both 964's as well has our winter cars. If you are buying them from Pepboys, be sure to use their website to buy them. You can save 25% over the price in the stores. You then just print out the receipt, walk into the store and grab the battery.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've had good luck with the Bosch AGM from Pepboys. Have them in both 964's as well has our winter cars. If you are buying them from Pepboys, be sure to use their website to buy them. You can save 25% over the price in the stores. You then just print out the receipt, walk into the store and grab the battery.
That is good to hear!

They had a 15% off deal online for batteries at present, which I took advantage of. Installation and recycling of the old battery was free, so I am going to entrust them with my beloved 911, but I will be watching them like a hawk. :-)
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Put it in yourself....it's easy.

I think, Bosch batteries, here in the U.S., are made by Johnson Controls, like so many others, just rebranded.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I just replaced my old, depleted Optima with a BatteriesPlus Duracell AGM.
Seems fine. Plenty spunky.

FWIW, I couldn't find ANY online guidance consensus re buyer preferences while I was shopping. You're probably seeing the same thing.
But I DO prefer AGM over wet cell for obvious (closed frunk) reasons.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
I just replaced my old, depleted Optima with a BatteriesPlus Duracell AGM.
Seems fine. Plenty spunky.

FWIW, I couldn't find ANY online guidance consensus re buyer preferences while I was shopping. You're probably seeing the same thing.
But I DO prefer AGM over wet cell for obvious (closed frunk) reasons.
I did get the Bosch AGM at Pep Boys.

No drama with the install, although the tech didn't initially notice the battery in the frunk, and was about to open the trunk looking when I walked into the bay to show him where it was.

The 8 year old Optima had definetly lost some power. In the morning when cold, it struggled, but after driving the car a bit, it seemed to start OK, but the new battery clearly kicks over with some vigor that the end of life Optima could not match.

Agree on the scarcity of recommendations on a suitable replacement.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

I just proactively replaced a three year old Odyssey in my daily driver as we were travelling to some very frigid temps and I didn't want to risk it. Amazing the difference in how much faster the new battery spins the starter and the vehicle starts up. New one is a rebranded Johnson Controls AGM.

I am just going to replace batteries every three years from now on. I have talked to fleet managers in various industries and they all say, that's about all they can get out of a battery these days....

Maybe the new technology units are better (LiFePo4's) , but the lead acid and AMG batteries don't seem to last.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:44 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Almost 5 years since I started this thread, and my Bosch battery needs replacement. Looks like Optima again has a battery for the 964.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/prod...6%203.6L%20Gas

Any current experience? Are there still QC issues?

The yellow top does have the highest CCA rating of the batteries available at my local Autozone, but it is also $100 more than the Duralast Platinum EFB.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...eVehicle=false

Edit: Found and interesting post pertaining to Optima’s reported suckage. I do have to give props to a company that directly responds to their critics.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...suck-the-truth

Last edited by BGLeduc; 12-10-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:40 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

While its nice to give props, it also highlights how much negative press they must've collected to justify writing an article like that. Can't say I'm a fan of their writing style either... "So let's indulge the critics, don a tinfoil hat and pursue their contention that OPTIMA batteries suck"

I stand by my original post, and have been happy using my "Motomaster" branded battery from Canadian Tire for the past 5 years.

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top - #12853 Current Replacement