Sponsored by:

Suspension Options for 964?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM
absimonds
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Options for 964?

I've been talking with my shop about upgrading the suspension of my '93 964 (170k on the odometer. its a driver, not a trackster). They're steering me to the Bilstein PSS10 - in fact telling me it's really the only option that works for the car.

It seems the key feature of the PSS10 is you can adjust the height and spring rates. What if we eliminate the adjustability? It's a feature I won't use. What if we use a NON-adjustable package?

What is the drawback to that approach? More labour? More mounts & bushings? Harder to dial in street performance v. track? I'm willing to be talked into the PSS10's but I want to be informed...

See this link from Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...3&autoModClar=

I can google around and save $1,000. There are similar packages available elsewhere. Pelican, Rennline, et al.

Anybody have some experience with this dilemma?

Andy

absimonds@gmail.com
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

PSS10 is one of the more expensive options--but it is a very good one. Your shop is probably steering you this direction because they can tune it to your liking in terms of height and ride quality. Some cheaper options like a standard set of Bilstein HDs lack that adjustability. You might look at the Koni FSD setup, it gets good reviews and is pretty budget friendly.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Fire your shop if they are telling you pss10 is the only way to go.

There are many options. It really depends on what you want. Bilstein HD w eibach springs is a fantastic choice for a street 964. And they don't cost much.

However - you mentioned lowering lower than the hd can get you. So now you are talking kw , pss10, etc. but the problem there, is if you are buying these things for a lot of money, just to lower the car lower than you can go with bilstein hd, you also introduce bump steer and the car will handle like crap. So why spend all that money. At that point , go with Godspeed coilovers for 850 on eBay. Bolt in, lower the car, and done.

I went with kw v3 over bilstein pss10. More adjustablitly. Fwiw. Better choice for not much more money.

I may have mis-read your comment about lowering...its early in the morning and the coffee hasn't removed the growl yet. But regardless if you need to bounce around ideas, pm me and I'll be happy to discuss and lend a hand if I can.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 PM
absimonds
2nd Gear

Thanks much! The Godspeed looks like an option as well as the Bilstein HD's. I want the ROW height, if not an RS stance, but the PSS10 seems like overkill... I'll still need the alignment and corner balancing...
Old 01-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

For row ride height - bilstein hd and eibach springs are perfect. And I like them WAY more than the godspeeds. (I also have a bolt in ready set that I removed from my car last spring available if you have the early shock towers in the rear.)

As to corner balancing- costs a ton of money. Do a good street alignment, set ride height basis rs +10 or +15, and be done. Corner balancing a street car is nice and all, but you are un-corner balanced when you have a passenger. And unless you are attempting to obtain a hundred of a second in the round the neighborhood lap time, you should spend that money elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

In your situation, Bilstein HD B6s all the way. It's hard to argue with such a proven set up.

I recently had this system installed, with HR sport springs and love the change from my worn 4X4 stock struts. The threaded struts allow you to get a nice street stance.

Classic set up. (~$900 shocks, $300 springs)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The bilstein hd or sports with a new spring is a really good 'driver' choice.
I have the sport shocks on my 89 carrera with stock torsion bars and it rides SO much better than the tired factory shocks.

KW also has some choices that are less than the PSS10 that are good choices and give you some more adjustability too.

My personal opinion is I've driven a coupe cars with the PSS10and well, I don't like them. They feel harsh with poor damping control (to me).
Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

One more vote for Bilstein HD's and H&R turbo springs. I have these on my '90 C2 and like the ride height and performance.

For a street-driven (non-tracked) 964, PSS10 is way overkill.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by absimonds
I've been talking with my shop about upgrading the suspension of my '93 964 (170k on the odometer. its a driver, not a trackster). They're steering me to the Bilstein PSS10 - in fact telling me it's really the only option that works for the car.

It seems the key feature of the PSS10 is you can adjust the height and spring rates. What if we eliminate the adjustability? It's a feature I won't use. What if we use a NON-adjustable package?

What is the drawback to that approach? More labour? More mounts & bushings? Harder to dial in street performance v. track? I'm willing to be talked into the PSS10's but I want to be informed...

See this link from Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...3&autoModClar=

I can google around and save $1,000. There are similar packages available elsewhere. Pelican, Rennline, et al.

Anybody have some experience with this dilemma?

Andy

absimonds@gmail.com
PSS10 are an excellent street suspension in a box option, if more track oriented there are better ways to go
+ digressive valving stock, shock rate adjust ability is a plus even if you just use it to set it up originally, It comes w/ matched springs and uses stock top mounts, height adjustable to suit most users, everything comes in the one box.
- a little more expensive then some other options but the difference goes down when the additional cost of springs, perches and mounts is added in.

Bilstein b6 HD good for stock height cars,can use stock springs(better w/ RoW M030 springs) and top stock top mounts

Bilstein b8 HD for lower cars, use shorter after market springs for custom rates and heights, additional sourcing & cost for perches, springs etc.

- both b6 & b8 come w/ older linear valving, it's ok but digressive used in most modern shocks just works a whole bunch better

after that you are looking at much more expensive more track oriented options

The above Bilstein and MCS, JRZ, Ohlins are all high pressure mono-tube gas designs which generally work better than twin tube(like KW) or low pressure designs.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

I have bilsteins on my 93 cab and love them for the adjustability. Old shocks were worn out. Not a track car. Not that expensive.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Bilstein HD with H&R springs is the gold standard. They are adjustable in height just like the factory parts. Best to run them at or near Euro ride height. They work perfectly for a street car.

Alternatively, KWV1 are going to be very similar to the Bilstein+HR but the shock bodies are stainless steel and won't corrode.

Adjustable compression/rebound setups are superior, but not necessary for a street car. I agree with Goughary, your shop is not inspiring confidence with their recommendation. Look for someone else to do the install.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Bilstein HD with H&R springs is the gold standard. They are adjustable in height just like the factory parts. Best to run them at or near Euro ride height. They work perfectly for a street car. Alternatively, KWV1 are going to be very similar to the Bilstein+HR but the shock bodies are stainless steel and won't corrode. Adjustable compression/rebound setups are superior, but not necessary for a street car. I agree with Goughary, your shop is not inspiring confidence with their recommendation. Look for someone else to do the install.
Just fitted Bilstein HD with H&R Springs. Height is RS plus 12mm. Very happy as I can drive almost anywhere without the front hitting bumps, kerbs etc.
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The blistein HD with HR Turbo springs is a great setup and used to be the only game in town. But to do this right they should be ordered custom valved for the springs.

They fixed all that with the PSS10s. It is a better package and has really good range of adjustability. They can be quite supple or pretty firm. Gives you the option if you get tired of the boy racer ride on long trips. Spec Box (and I think996 still) runs them. They are much more progressive than the HDs. I think a common problem is that most guys go in and just run them too firm. Just like Bill said all the extras in one package offsets the higher price. For mostly street I'd do the pss10s.

Quick Reply: Suspension Options for 964?