Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some expert suspension advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Image of the loaded rear tyre. You can see the extent that the wear extends down the sidewall of the tyre. Camber is 3 Deg Negative. Tyres have done 4 x track days, - the last being Spa in Belgium - and are less than 1 year old. The bearing was checked and was fine - although it has been changed as a precaution anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Just a little update to this thread. We found that the rear bushes had basically collapsed when we were fitting the new Elephant Sport bushes. They fell out in pieces. This obviously explains the vaiguness that i was experiencing from the rear of the car. The new bushes and Tarret spring plates will really tighten the rear of the car up. It will be intresting to see if this pushes the a balance issue forwards. I dont think that it will.

I'm looking forward to reporting back after i've shaken the car down on a circuit
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Rancie
Advanced

Just to bring a conclusion to this thread. The Elephant sport bushing and Tarret spring plates are now fitted and the geometry re set/corner weighted etc.. i can report that these modifications make a big difference to the handling of the car both on the road and circuit. The chassis feels much tighter and more predictable from 1-7/10s. It sits more comfortably on the road and information translated is much less diluted. From 7/10-10/10ths the difference is much more marked. Once rotated, there is no longer a vaiguness when the rear axle is fully loaded and even when the cup 2's start to go off there is nowhere near the level of correction needed than when the car had it's standard bushing and spring plates. On the lap, the car is almost 5/10ths quicker and stints are considerably longer before the tyres start to go off. There is definately a better balance between the mechanical grip of the chassis and the physical grip of the tyres. It makes the car a more enjoyable driving experience.

I would say that for drivers of all abilities looking to track thier 964's, this is a very worth while modification.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Perfectly describes the transformation I experienced when I went from stock rear trailing arm bushes and spring plates to the Powerflex trailing arm bushes and ERP 935-style monoball spring plates (sold by Tarett).

Below 7/10ths was meh and above was asking for the car to swap ends. Very unpredictable and unstable. Those mods really lock the rear down. Let's you drive the whole car harder.

Quick Reply: Some expert suspension advice needed