Sponsored by:

Increase engine sound without losing low-end torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:40 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Increase engine sound without losing low-end torque

I recently purchased an awesome 964 with a 3.8 conversion from a fellow Rennlister. The car is great, but it's a bit too quiet for my taste. The car currently has a primary bypass (cup pipe?) with the stock muffler. As part of backdating the car, I plan to move to an M&K MKM34S exhaust with center dual outlets. Is there anything else I can do to the exhaust system to boost the sound volume without sacrificing low-end torque? If I were to add headers or a secondary bypass (G-pipe?) for the sound, any ideas what percentage of torque I would lose at the low end? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Engine sound outside or inside the car? Take out the engine sound deadening material from the engine bay and the rear shelf....

Although. More noise is just going to hurt...lol
Old 12-16-2016, 07:16 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone on Rennlist once posted on this with dyno results. The primary muffler has the greatest restriction to airflow. With that said, I bypassed my cat and secondary along with an adjusted Steve Wong chip, and the damn thing is LOUD! I love it. I loved it so much that I got rid of my engine and rear shelf pads as Goughary explained. Not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are going to backdate then forget about aftermarket and use the center muffler from the 997-GT3.

Quick Reply: Increase engine sound without losing low-end torque