Sponsored by:

C4 front suspension questions/issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Johns Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 front suspension questions/issue

Hi guys- First, I'll introduce myself since I'm new to the 964 forum... I have an '02 996 c2 which was my first Porsche and will be for sale soon). I just picked up a '91 C4, grand prix white on black manual. 73K miles in beautiful condition. I'm really excited as I have wanted this car since I was about 10 or 11 and its finally in my garage. The car is all stock except for some 997 wheels which will be replaced soon.

Question: I think I may have hit a good bump on my drive last night. Got home and the front driver side was lower than the front passenger side, the car had a "lean". It also had a slight pull to the left while driving.

Pulled the front wheels off this morning; there is a 3" difference in travel driver to passenger side when fully unloaded. (diver side is not dropping down or releasing as much as the passenger side.

Whats the thought? Thank you.

Last edited by Johns Pcar; 08-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:13 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Broken spring maybe or a knackered strut? Might be an idea to take some photos of the driver side suspension with the wheel off of course, and post on here.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Johns Pcar
Advanced

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Broken spring maybe or a knackered strut? Might be an idea to take some photos of the driver side suspension with the wheel off of course, and post on here.
I don't think it's a broken spring, suspension will not onload at all. Would a broken strut not allow suspension to release/unload when it's jack up off the ground?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:55 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Have you tried pressing down hard in quick succession on the drivers side to see if it unloads. Just might give some idea of what is wrong!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Johns Pcar
Advanced

Well, after an hour or so up on the jack the suspension unloaded. Put the wheel back on and dropped it down and it's now level. Took it for a drive and it still slightly pulls to the left. Scratching my head...
Old 08-20-2016, 06:07 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

I would get someone who "knows" 964's to take a look at it to determine what could be the cause. How old are the struts? You need to determine how old and effective they are for safety's sake. Sounds like something is maybe jamming up?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:47 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure your problem has something to do with the suspension....but the slight pull could be low tire pressure... I have had this same thing happen in the past...

Quick Reply: C4 front suspension questions/issue