Sponsored by:

New Chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:02 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Chip

Got a link to this in an E-Mail from Pelican.
Dinan DINATronics Performance ECU, Porsche 911 Carrera 2/4 $152.25
Was wondering if anyone has had an experience with this, and how it installs?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...DINTUN_pg8.htm
Thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the same Dinan as in Dinan the BMW tuner? I have a Steve Wong chip already and doubt there's any improvement to be had over it with this chip. Also how and where do you install this thing? It looks to be more than just a chip. I have no idea where that plug thing connects to. Not a bad price tho. That link you posted says its for 84-86 carrera. I don't see a 964 option tho
Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I also have a wong chip. I can tell you that my experience- without changing anything else in the motor, is that the Wong chip gives me a smoother curve, which is nice, but little to know real hp or torque gains.

The Authority chip years ago was a total disaster, as were many others.

And no one is going to convince me that in a 964, we can simply add a chip for a few hundred dollars and get an instant 20hp gain.

20 hp does not cost a few hundred dollars.

Steve Wong chip helped drivability. I have no experience w the dinan chip, and that article was about a 3.2 carrera motor....
This chip may be awesomeness....might be just the thing we have all been waiting for....maybe even better than the Wong chips (which are tried and true), so all I'm trying to say is "buyer beware". Keep your expectations in check. You aren't getting 20hp out of just chipping the car. Otherwise that would have been something we would all already have...

Horsepower in a 964 tends to cost around 1k per horse. There are easy low hanging fruits for the first few horses...but once you get over 5...look out, cuz it gets expensive. And not worth the gain. Better the driver first, then better the suspension, then lighten the car, and then sell it and buy a faster car to start over with...if you need more hp...

Or if you really love the 964 that much and have the money- ship it to Steve weiner and have him turn it into "Claudia 2"- real hp for real money.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

best post on hp gains and chips I've seen on these forums right there.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
best post on hp gains and chips I've seen on these forums right there.
+1
Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I. That link you posted says its for 84-86 carrera. I don't see a 964 option tho
I got the same message from Pelican you have to scroll almost to the bottom to get to the 964 version
Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Our model is divided into two products it seems. years 89-90, and 91-94. I wouldn't mind trying this out for $152 if its from the BMW Dinan company.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is me being skeptical. Especially at that price.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

You're not going to find anything off-the-shelf that is better than Steve Wong's chips. The Dinan chip is likely just changing the WOT timing curve to the RS curve. The fact that they sell different chips for early/late years, shows that they don't know what they're doing. The late chips basically just add additional CEL code and work fine in early cars.

The timing is where all of the power difference comes from. I believe that Steve gets his curves from personally real-time dyno tuning 964s. Plus he adds more timing to some of the part-throttle map, which is why the accelerator gets more responsive for day-to-day drives. I ran his 93octane chip back-to-back with the stock chip, completely stock motor, on the dyno. The hp/tq gains are in the single digits, but they're very much present. You might gain 1hp from another manufacture, but that just means that they've pushed the timing further into dangerous territory.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

be careful. Dinan makes parts for BMWs. If you put this on your car, your turn signals might stop working.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:50 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read down to the bottom & then looked @ the claims & graphs:
+21 hp @ 4,000 & 5,500 rpm
+21 #/ft @ 2,000 rpm, +28 #/ft @ 4,000 rpm, double digit torque gains up to 6,250 rpm.
Seems a lot for $152.25.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:11 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grankin
I read down to the bottom & then looked @ the claims & graphs: +21 hp @ 4,000 & 5,500 rpm +21 #/ft @ 2,000 rpm, +28 #/ft @ 4,000 rpm, double digit torque gains up to 6,250 rpm. Seems a lot for $152.25.
If it seems too good to be true...
Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how much I will be able to answer on the product as I know very little about the technical side of it but thought I should at least chime in and clarify a few things.

THe blast that Pelican sent out had incorrect imagery. For some reason they used the imagery for DINANTRONICS (Advanced BMW piggyback system) instead of chip imagery which seems to be causing some confusion first and foremost. The cheaper chips are just that, chips, similar to the Steve Wong stuff. The more expensive ones also include some additional pieces depending on the application. These could include a wastegate shim, a regulator or a secondary chip, or a combination therein. This is the additional hardware the blurb refers to, but it comes with the purchase.

In regards to just being a BMW tuner... we actually made these chips back in the 90's in addition to a bunch of Japanese cars (supras as an example). Quite successfully actually. When push came to shove though Steve Dinan felt it best to sell off those businesses and focus on the BMW platform which is what we are known for. Those businesses that purchased them came and went years and years ago but the new ownership group decided to bring these pieces back into the fold back under the Dinan umbrella since we are expanding into that arena anyway. The product was already developed and available. Might as well list it. It should be noted that the Bosch system in the Porsche is very similar to the ones that were in the same generation BMW's so its not like its a totally foreign entity either. It was a natural progression then just like it is today.

As far as the gains go... Should be noted that Dinan always reports in crank numbers, not at the wheel. These numbers are no different (at least I imagine that to be the case, non of the old timers are in the office to confirm that).
Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinan
Not sure how much I will be able to answer on the product as I know very little about the technical side of it but thought I should at least chime in and clarify a few things.
Is there someone from Dinan that can provide more technical information? For example, does the chip contain a "fix" for those that have a light weight flywheel?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Is there someone from Dinan that can provide more technical information? For example, does the chip contain a "fix" for those that have a light weight flywheel?
No one in the office today that could answer any technical questions. There are only 2 engineers that are still around from that time that would be able to fill in gaps and both are not in today I am afraid. If any of you have technical questions feel free to list them here and I can get what answers I can on Monday and relay them here.

If I had to guess there probably is not a fix for a lightweight flywheel though. Considering we never went very far in to the Porsche hardware tuning outside of the chips there wouldn't have been much of a reason to tune for one.

Quick Reply: New Chip