Sponsored by:

New Chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:26 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinan
If I had to guess there probably is not a fix for a lightweight flywheel though. Considering we never went very far in to the Porsche hardware tuning outside of the chips there wouldn't have been much of a reason to tune for one.
Do you plan on putting in any future R&D into this product offering? All Steve Wong chips currently include the light weight flywheel "fix".
Old 07-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Do you plan on putting in any future R&D into this product offering? All Steve Wong chips currently include the light weight flywheel "fix".

I don't foresee any continued development on them. I will confirm on Monday whether or not anything was done for the flywheels though.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So it's a "new" dead product..
Old 07-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

We prefer the term "re-release".
Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Kudos for Dinan chiming in with what info that they have available. Unfortunately, there isn't any info. Dinan, I could read the chip and tell you what it's doing if you have any interest.

The dyno numbers are a neat trick. Their stock 964 somehow has 11ft-lb more than it's supposed to and at 300rpm lower in the revs. And then they find 28ft-lbs, almost 14% more torque, just by changing the timing. Can anyone name any engine ever made that can do that?

Dinan, you may want to revisit your 1990's sales exaggerations.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by -nick
Kudos for Dinan chiming in with what info that they have available. Unfortunately, there isn't any info. Dinan, I could read the chip and tell you what it's doing if you have any interest.

The dyno numbers are a neat trick. Their stock 964 somehow has 11ft-lb more than it's supposed to and at 300rpm lower in the revs. And then they find 28ft-lbs, almost 14% more torque, just by changing the timing. Can anyone name any engine ever made that can do that?

Dinan, you may want to revisit your 1990's sales exaggerations.

My purpose for chiming in was simply to address the inconsistencies that were brought forth by Pelican's blast. I prefaced everything by saying I could not assist on the technical side but would get whatever information I could when the engineers involved back in the day were back in the building. They will be able to read the chip and let me know exactly what they were doing if desired (chances are they can tell me off the top of their head even thought its been decades). That simply is not my domain and I never alluded it was.

In regards to the technical question raised so far I got a text back from one of the engineers regarding the flywheel inquiry...

"No idle tweaks to address lightweightflywheels. There was no such product when we did these back in thelate-80’s & early-90’s."

In regards to power/dyno numbers if one of you wants to loan us your 20+ year old Porsche to beat on on the dyno I am sure we can oblige. Until then, the numbers we have always had that never seemed to have issues before, will just have to suffice.

To be frank we are surprised we are seeing as much interest as we are on this... we expected to sell a handful a year at most when we re-released them. It was simply low hanging fruit that the development was already done on.... was simply burning the chips again. Quick couple dollars for very little effort on our end and it fit the greater strategy of expanding into the other Euro brands, beyond BMW, to boot.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

And then they find 28ft-lbs, almost 14% more torque, just by changing the timing. Can anyone name any engine ever made that can do that?
And you'll explain to us what key factor, i.e. other than "pushing" the timing,
results in any major gain in torque for a stock motor, right?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm not following. Plenty of factors can add/remove torque in an engine. A chip only controls timing and fuel. Unless you're extremely rich or lean, AFR has a small effect on torque. However, even small changes in timing can have a very large effect.

I think that this thread has been put to bed.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

To dinan-

This thread isn't good public relations for you- clearly...since we are all saying we don't believe it. And honestly, I don't believe it. Which sucks cuz I like your company (bmw people aside)...

That said...if you want to take a chance that your chip is a good one, you can send me the chip, I'll install it. And do a back to back against my current Steve Wong 91 octane chip, the oem chip, and yours. And I'll write up a very fair report on the results. If it's a good chip and the results are good...PR is saved! My car is one of the best "mostly stock" 964s on rennlist, so it's a good test candidate.

Pm me if interested.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goughary
To dinan- This thread isn't good public relations for you- clearly...since we are all saying we don't believe it. And honestly, I don't believe it. Which sucks cuz I like your company (bmw people aside)... That said...if you want to take a chance that your chip is a good one, you can send me the chip, I'll install it. And do a back to back against my current Steve Wong 91 octane chip, the oem chip, and yours. And I'll write up a very fair report on the results. If it's a good chip and the results are good...PR is saved! My car is one of the best "mostly stock" 964s on rennlist, so it's a good test candidate. Pm me if interested.

I agree with this.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Dinan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Goughary
To dinan-

This thread isn't good public relations for you- clearly...since we are all saying we don't believe it. And honestly, I don't believe it. Which sucks cuz I like your company (bmw people aside)...

That said...if you want to take a chance that your chip is a good one, you can send me the chip, I'll install it. And do a back to back against my current Steve Wong 91 octane chip, the oem chip, and yours. And I'll write up a very fair report on the results. If it's a good chip and the results are good...PR is saved! My car is one of the best "mostly stock" 964s on rennlist, so it's a good test candidate.

Pm me if interested.
I'm not to worried about PR. If you know me from the BMW forums bad press doesnt really phase me. It comes and goes and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not going to go out of my way to try and change people opinions. My role is simply to answer questions the best I can and to correct blatant lies that are represented as truths. In regards to the numbers... I really can't comment to be honest since its data that hasn't been touched for 20+ years and way before my time. We simply re-released it. Weren't expecting to take a market by storm or anything just simply thought we had the means to produce the product and we have all of these new distribution channels that are inquiring about it so we might as well offer it again.

With Pelicans little blast we have sold more Porsche chips in the past week then we have in the last 15 years combined, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but still a hell of a lot more then we ever thought we would sell. I am sure one of those individuals, or a few, will chime in in the coming week or so as all the sold chips should reach their destination by early next week.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not following. Plenty of factors can add/remove torque in an engine. A chip only controls timing and fuel. Unless you're extremely rich or lean, AFR has a small effect on torque. However, even small changes in timing can have a very large effect.

I think that this thread has been put to bed.
Your statements basically conflict with regard to a STOCK engine:

1. "Plenty of factors can add/remove torque in an engine."
2. "However, even small changes in timing can have a very large effect."

Statement #1 for the most part has a very minor effect for a stock engine, i.e. one where no mechanical
changes were made to the engine. This is the case for most who buy a "performance" chip.

Thus, based on your statement #2, "tuning" on a stock engine is nothing more than how far one wishes
to "push" the timing to show torque gains to promote the chip as a performance enhancement.
One "tuner" can ALWAYS dyno more performance gains than another "tuner" just by "pushing" more
timing. It's that easy!

"I think that this thread has been put to bed."

Right, so "performance tuning is nothing more than modifying the ignition timing, i.e. "pushing the timing".
So the "performance" chip buyer is "trading-off" engine operating margin of safety in avoiding
detonation or having to increase the octane level, the result of the "pushed" timing. Even increasing
the octane level may not avoid detonation under all driving conditions. Even with knock control,
detonation may still occur also with higher octane levels.

So one needs to be upfront with the performance consumer and indicate the reality!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Ok let us know how it goes. So far I haven't heard anything but bs.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:35 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinan
I'm not to worried about PR. If you know me from the BMW forums bad press doesnt really phase me. It comes and goes and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not going to go out of my way to try and change people opinions. My role is simply to answer questions the best I can and to correct blatant lies that are represented as truths. In regards to the numbers... I really can't comment to be honest since its data that hasn't been touched for 20+ years and way before my time. We simply re-released it. Weren't expecting to take a market by storm or anything just simply thought we had the means to produce the product and we have all of these new distribution channels that are inquiring about it so we might as well offer it again.

With Pelicans little blast we have sold more Porsche chips in the past week then we have in the last 15 years combined, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but still a hell of a lot more then we ever thought we would sell. I am sure one of those individuals, or a few, will chime in in the coming week or so as all the sold chips should reach their destination by early next week.
Wow, this is a really amazing post. I was going to get one of your stage 2's for my 550 when it went off warranty. By 'not going out of your way' you've actually gone out of your way to create a negative perception that wasn't there already. You come off as a pimp who could care less about the owners or the cars they love. Needless to say I will not be purchasing any of your products.

FWIW, I have a SW chip I love that replaced an Autoauthority chip that came with the car (had terrible idle hunt issues). It's also set up for a lwfw when it's time.

If normally would wish someone the best with their endeavors but it wouldn't be appropriate here.

-Travis
Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PNine64
Wow, this is a really amazing post. I was going to get one of your stage 2's for my 550 when it went off warranty. By 'not going out of your way' you've actually gone out of your way to create a negative perception that wasn't there already. You come off as a pimp who could care less about the owners or the cars they love. Needless to say I will not be purchasing any of your products.

FWIW, I have a SW chip I love that replaced an Autoauthority chip that came with the car (had terrible idle hunt issues). It's also set up for a lwfw when it's time.

If normally would wish someone the best with their endeavors but it wouldn't be appropriate here.

-Travis
You can add me to the list as well. Very arrogant post by Dinan. I'll stick to a SW chip......was actually considering a Dinan chip before that post. I prefer to buy from someone who is willing to go out of their way to make me comfortable with their product.

Quick Reply: New Chip