Advice needed on 964 Raspberry Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Advice needed on 964 Raspberry Metallic

Dear all

I have recently come across a black 93 964 coupe but was given to understand that its original colour is L83E which should be raspberry metallic.

I am still of two minds as to whether or not I should respray back to its original colour, not least because 1. The current black paint is not bad in quality still and 2. I am not sure how raspberry metallic will look on a coupe (not a lot of photos available on the Internet).

If you were in my position what would you do?

Would be great to see you enthusiasts to post up photos of your raspberry metallic 964 cars too so that I have a better idea of what lies ahead. Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Nelson
Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Paint it the color you like best but I would personally change it back to the original color and spend the money for a good paint job. The L83E is a very rare color and people will pay extra $$$ over a black vehicle when/if it's time for resale especially if it's the original color of the vehicle.

Name:  c147f59136b3c97d4f6f3fcabef4ee11.jpg
Views: 3096
Size:  11.8 KB
Old 07-13-2016, 01:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Here's a large picture to get the discussion started. (Google image)

Colors like this aren't popular with most people, but the 964 silhouette and bumper profiles can handle a lot of different colors. Wild - to - sophisticated colors all look good on a 964.

I would: buy the car on its condition, then enjoy getting to know and drive the car (especially if you have little 911 seat time), take care of any deferred maintenance and do a couple upgrades. Then after a year or three, maybe revisit the color issue.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Another picture

Name:  c41.jpg
Views: 3946
Size:  37.1 KB
Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are worried about originality only for resale I say drive it as is if you say the current paint job is decent. Drive the hell out of it and repaint right before you decide to unload it. Or when you know you want to keep it and have it original.
Keep the money in your pocket for now and have fun with it.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually i would say go back to standard but that is my least favourite colour on any porsche, nearly as bad as cerise! If the black paint isnt bad then why bother repainting. If the rest of the car is immaculate and the mileage is low and your planning on selling it then maybe go back original. Otherwise i would say dont do it!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:08 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Big change from black but I like the unusual colors. Put it back to original and put on a set of cool wheels.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:09 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Dear Porker { ... ok, I just wanted to say that out loud. Ha!!}

Nelson,

Without knowing what kind of 964 guy you are,.. it's really hard to have an impact with any of our opinions....

Some are Originality Concours types,.. and some are Drive-it-like-u-Stole-it.

Me? I was a drive it hard kinda guy for decades,... until I figured out (about 3 yrs ago) that my 964 Turbo was worth just a tiiiiiiny bit more than I paid for it (decades ago,.. so you do the math).

So NOW, with just THAT car,.. I've turned into a Originality Concours NUTT. But I can say that my wife & I have been having a BLAST improving the car over the years by fixing those stupid little nagging things.
Now it is in tip-top shape, BUT we just don't get to drive it as much.

So now we drive a different Porsche hard. So tell us more about who you are, and what you want out of your next purchase. That will clearly tell the story right?

Cuz to me, it sounds like this purchase, if the price is right for you,.. could be a fun "driver".

If so,... keep it that way,... and have fun out on the road!!!
=Steve
Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Dear Porker { ... ok, I just wanted to say that out loud. Ha!!}

Nelson,

Without knowing what kind of 964 guy you are,.. it's really hard to have an impact with any of our opinions....

Some are Originality Concours types,.. and some are Drive-it-like-u-Stole-it.

Me? I was a drive it hard kinda guy for decades,... until I figured out (about 3 yrs ago) that my 964 Turbo was worth just a tiiiiiiny bit more than I paid for it (decades ago,.. so you do the math).

So NOW, with just THAT car,.. I've turned into a Originality Concours NUTT. But I can say that my wife & I have been having a BLAST improving the car over the years by fixing those stupid little nagging things.
Now it is in tip-top shape, BUT we just don't get to drive it as much.

So now we drive a different Porsche hard. So tell us more about who you are, and what you want out of your next purchase. That will clearly tell the story right?

Cuz to me, it sounds like this purchase, if the price is right for you,.. could be a fun "driver".

If so,... keep it that way,... and have fun out on the road!!!
=Steve

LOL Steve,

Classic Porsche enthusiast based in HK, owned 2 993 (1 cab in AG and 1 coupe in Arctic Silver), been keeping an eye on 964 but it's rare to come across one in HK. Initially I do not have a lot of preference for one over the other and I just thought that I would take whichever one that comes to me in better condition.

Brief info on previous 993s owned:

1. AG 993 Cab - minor mods made by previous owner on upgrading the power output, modified exhaust, sway bars and 18" turbo rims etc. but these are pretty much the mods it has had.

2. Arctic 993 Coupe - turbo bumpers, 18" turbo rims and turbo calipers, momo alcantra steering wheel (Momo Mod07?) and modified exhaust. Deleted the rear heater blower as well.

Am in my mid 30s and am happy to go for either a slightly modded path or go entirely original, although I can always go for a second option as I age I suppose. Not a fan of heavy mods / RWBs etc.

Here's a few photos to invite some thoughts from you guys:

Old 07-14-2016, 11:21 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Awe Man, That's AWESOME!!! And with only 35k km's too??!!!

Noooow I see why you are a bit perplexed. haha!! Because it really IS in good shape.

So what do you do with a 964 (Black over L83E, Black, Black) that is essentially in very good shape that almost warrants putting it back to original, BUT not so illusively collectable that you can't drive it??!!

Sounds to me Nelson, like you are the PERFECT guy to buy this car. You're that blend of - "I'll only make fun mods that are reversible, but give the car that personalized touch", AND the purists won't ding you for it.

Sounds like 911Jetta {post#3} and Norse_man {post#5} are the winners with their guesses / here. Lol.

Looks great Neslon. Enjoy!! And take us along for the ride with changes / upgrades / mods, along the way.

=Steve
Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also at one time had an originally raspberry metallic 964 in HK, but it was painted silver by a PO.

I concur with 911Jetta and Norse_man. If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, then sure, respray and spend some $$$ on motor upgrades. Otherwise, do a couple things to make it yours then go out and drive it!
Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Eddie Chang
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorkerNW
LOL Steve,

Classic Porsche enthusiast based in HK, owned 2 993 (1 cab in AG and 1 coupe in Arctic Silver), been keeping an eye on 964 but it's rare to come across one in HK. Initially I do not have a lot of preference for one over the other and I just thought that I would take whichever one that comes to me in better condition.

Brief info on previous 993s owned:

1. AG 993 Cab - minor mods made by previous owner on upgrading the power output, modified exhaust, sway bars and 18" turbo rims etc. but these are pretty much the mods it has had.

2. Arctic 993 Coupe - turbo bumpers, 18" turbo rims and turbo calipers, momo alcantra steering wheel (Momo Mod07?) and modified exhaust. Deleted the rear heater blower as well.

Am in my mid 30s and am happy to go for either a slightly modded path or go entirely original, although I can always go for a second option as I age I suppose. Not a fan of heavy mods / RWBs etc.

Here's a few photos to invite some thoughts from you guys:

Hi PokerNW

I am a HK based Porsche fan and currently restoring a 94 993cab. Would love to touch base and see your nice stable! I am located in Kowloon , lets meet up for a coffee sometime.

Eddie
Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 AM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My old Roadster I wish I've keep.
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2016, 07:43 AM
dragon993
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tip?