Summer Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

If you are doing TOD - there are actually better roads out there, minus the cops. Not saying not to do TOD, but do your research and make sure you don't miss some other great drives in the area, like some section of Blue Ridge pkwy and Diamond Black Loop
https://www.carolinamornings.com/fav...olina.asp#nine

As everybody else saying - why rush, if you have 6 weeks? I'd add more than one day to the road. There are some nice roads in upper NY finger-lake region.

- Vlad / TDesign9.com

Last edited by t-design; 05-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look those roads up. I have to knock it out in 2 days, leaving on a camping 5 day camping trip that Friday morning. Need to get up there and get organized.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

So after much consideration about extending the drive an extra day or two, I've decided to stick with my original plan of doing it two days. I've changed the name of the thread to "Summer Road Trips" since I thought it would be cool if others shared their road trips as ideas to consider. My route north will be different than back south when I have my boys with me and more time.

I will be heading out early morning June 27th, with a plan to be in Robinsville by night fall. Then head out the next morning, through the tail of the dragon and through Foot Hills parkway on the way north through Detroit arriving in toronto late that night. I'll update as I go along as well as while I'm up north; they have some awesome roads outside of toronto. Here is my route. Anyone interested in tagging along for any part of it happy to have others join in.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Plan...8401!3e0?hl=en

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Half of the way - the part from mid Kentucky to Toronto will be quite boring. Very boring really.

If you shift it east like this, for one more hour - you get nice landscapes most of the way!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by t-design
Half of the way - the part from mid Kentucky to Toronto will be quite boring. Very boring really.

If you shift it east like this, for one more hour - you get nice landscapes most of the way!
Thanks, I like it! It will be a game time decision as cut through Foot Hills. Either way my ride home at the end of the summer will take me through Blue Ride Parkway, the cavarans in VA, and Hershey PA. Plus all the road outside toronto that I will be hitting all summer. Should be plenty of nice scenery
Old 06-02-2016, 04:06 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On a way to Hershey - squeeze in Route 6 and Wellsboro, PA. They have their own Grand Canyon. Nothing like AZ one, but very pretty in its own way. And all the country roads around Wellsboro are nicely twisted for a good drive in a sports car
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

On a way to Hershey - squeeze in Route 6 and Wellsboro, PA. They have their own Grand Canyon. Nothing like AZ one, but very pretty in its own way. And all the country roads around Wellsboro are nicely twisted for a good drive in a sports car
Cool deal. With the regards to the first day of my drive to the TOD in Robinsville, there is another road that I heard was good takes you a bit east out of Atlanta, to highway 28. I think they call it "Moonshiner 28". It ads about 50 miles but about 1.5 hours to the drive. Looks like a really fun stretch. Also a game time decision as I'm pulling into Atlanta.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Well boys I made the 1600 mile journey from South Florida to Toronto Canada. Freakn awesome! I did 15 hours on day one and 13 on day two. As mentioned my plan was to get to Atlanta on day 1 and then decide if I would just continue to TOD and park it for the night or take a longer route to TOD via Highway 28 "Moonshiners 28". I ended up choosing 28; and thank goodness! It is TOD times 10 and then jacked on steroids! TOD is is less the 15 miles. 28 is 103! Has a mix of wide open hills and sweeping fast turns and than half of it is in the Highlands region with about 1.5 hours of TOD type twisties. Absolutely a blast! Honestly, after doing both roads, I don't understand all the hype of TOD. Its not even close; Highway 28 is by far a better road.

Anyhow, I made it to Tapoco Lodge in Robbinsville, NC which is just minutes from TOD at around 9pm. Great place to crash for the night. Got up at 6 am the next morning to do TOD. I had the road to myself and it was great way to start my day. However as mentioned after doing what I did the day before it wasn't anything different. From then on the roads were fun with with great views through Tennessee and Kentucky. Once I hit Ohio and Michigan it was just as boring as Florida but with worse roads.

In the end I made to Toronto with out a hitch. Every time I stopped for gas or to stretch my legs, someone would always approach me about the car. It was great. At 24 years old, with over 130k miles on the original motor (which has never been opened) it hummed along at 90mph like it was a brand new car. I was completely blown away how comfortable and it was. Mind you I put in RSA seats before I left which are an absolute dream. Overall the car, the drive was an 11 out of 10.

One thing I did notice, and kind of bothered me since I do love driving is that during my entire 1600+ miles drive, I did not see a single 911 outside the city limits. Its a shame because I am fairly certain that anyone who has done such a drive can attest to how much fun it is to road trip a 911. I will doing it next year as well...perhaps in the RS.

I'l be in Toronto for the next 6 weeks using the 964 daily to work and weekend road trips with wife and kids. Here are a few shots.

Attached Images    
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Awesome Al

I'm flying out the SFO Aug 2nd to drive my old 6.9 back to Florida.
Never seen it yet, what could go wrong?! LOL.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Awesome Al

I'm flying out the SFO Aug 2nd to drive my old 6.9 back to Florida.
Never seen it yet, what could go wrong?! LOL.
Safe travels my friend. I had a blast.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

https://goo.gl/maps/XjnwUcdqgcq
Old 01-04-2017, 04:33 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great pictures and great trip!
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 01-04-2017, 06:22 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Great pictures and great trip!
T...great to see you here, did a double take as I'm used to seeing you on P9 in the 981 area...

OP beautiful pics!I did only a fraction of your drive starting from Miami to Atlanta, and ending up in Asheville. It was truly amazing to drive on curvy roads compared to the grids we have in S Fla, but the seat time took its toll on my back. Kudos on taking the 964 that far!

Quick Reply: Summer Road Trips