964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rothsport shifter installed

Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Looks really nice, can't wait to get this in mine.
Like the seats!
Rennline lower dash delete, really cleans up the dash!!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
I just drove it for the first time and you're right, I love it. It feels similar to the RS piece, but a little more weighted.
I just replaced all the bushings including the 928 ball cups. I guess you don't remember but I made my own golden rod with the brass bushings. I inspected them yesterday, zero wear and still rock solid.

I remember everything... as soon as you remind me. Must be the early onset alzheimer's.

What can I say? I have small hands, beside being ice cold today, it feels okay to me.
As far as the seats, I bought a set of nearly new pole positions from a 996 guy on here. They came in his newly acquired 996TT and he was too tall for them. His loss, my gain.

I've had the cubby sitting around for a few years now and like the idea of a spot for my wallet and phone. So I stuffed the spoiler switch behind the other switches, I never use it manually anyway. I also have a ducktail waiting to be painted, I'm still debating on that one.

Will you be a C&C?
Seats look good. I don't mind the rothsport ****. I got used to it in the track car and I adjust to whatever car I am driving. Not like going to the 928 with the reverse shift pattern. I was contemplating using the version designed to use the factory shift **** but I really wanted the factory ball type **** like I have in my turbo and they are another $600+ on top of a relatively pricey upgrade.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Website says C2 only ?
Originally Posted by cobalt
Unfortunately you can't install the double shear shifter on a C4.
d'oh, I should not be posting after 11p!

Really love how that **** looks though.... I'll live vicariously through you C2 guys
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. Here's mine. I like the fact it's cold metal in your hand. Adds to the pure mechanical feel

Old 04-07-2016, 04:54 PM
mfinanthony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to love it. Did you do the G-rod and front rod replacement as well?
Is the front rod a necessary component when doing the upgrade? I'm aiming for the G-Rod, but curious if the forward shift rod is also worth doing at the same time.

Rothsport shift looks super clean but I'll be going RS shifter to keep it original looking.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfinanthony
Is the front rod a necessary component when doing the upgrade? I'm aiming for the G-Rod, but curious if the forward shift rod is also worth doing at the same time.

Rothsport shift looks super clean but I'll be going RS shifter to keep it original looking.
I would not skimp especially if you get in there and find out the front cup is shot. I would expect that adding the other units will put more strain on any of the older components. The monoball will make it much more precise.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 PM
mfinanthony
Advanced

I would not skimp especially if you get in there and find out the front cup is shot. I would expect that adding the other units will put more strain on any of the older components. The monoball will make it much more precise.
Thanks cobalt! I had noticed the forward rod toted a 1 inch reduction in throw as well. Can't wait for the throws to feel a lot better.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the billet rothsport short shifter, can anyone tell me if the extra bits from fd will fit. On their site it says custom rothsport shifter? Is it right that if i get all of it the throw gets even shorter?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche mania
I have the billet rothsport short shifter, can anyone tell me if the extra bits from fd will fit. On their site it says custom rothsport shifter? Is it right that if i get all of it the throw gets even shorter?
FD replaces the ball at the bottom of the shifter with a threaded rod because they use end links instead of ball and cup on their forward rod. So the answer is no, it won't work with your current shifter.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by jpar
FD replaces the ball at the bottom of the shifter with a threaded rod because they use end links instead of ball and cup on their forward rod. So the answer is no, it won't work with your current shifter.
Never mind. One less thing to buy for the car i guess! Thanks for the info though.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I would contact rothsport and see if the ball can be replaced with the threaded rod so it can be used with the front linkage.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed one of these a while ago after picking it up at Rothsport outside of Portland... BTW, genuinely good folks to deal with! Probably the nicest, single piece on the entire car.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:06 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure the ball on the end of the shifter can be removed, either it will unscrew, or if it's welded on, it can be cut off. To fit the new forward rod with heim joints you just need a screw that fit the hole in the joint, and then match the thread to that in the bottom of the shifter.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ that's exactly what I did when I made a new forward linkage rod with spherical bearings on the ends
Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 AM
kalat
Rennlist Member

Nice...thanks for sharing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rothsport shifter installed