964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ducktail install question

Old 02-22-2016, 10:38 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, so for those guys that wish to install a tail. Don't remove your shocks completely (ask me how I know this). Just undo them on the hinge and then see where you're at.

Once you see which side is sagging, connect that side's shock. You may not even need to shim it.

Now, to get this thing center. I bored the holes out on my hinges to about 8mm. Seems to work great. Going to have to go a little more I think. This also give me lots off room for adjustment on whatever lid I'm using.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:45 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Pics please!!

Slowly getting there. Once I get this centered, I'll start sanding, adding bondo, etc...

I can see the lower right edge needs be sanded down.

So far I guess I'm happy with this duck, but I really wish those hinge rivets nuts where positioned a little better. They seem to be about 4mm off.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:50 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look too bad a fit for a fibreglass part. Have you fitted the adjustable black rubber stoppers?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by g60pops
Have you fitted the adjustable black rubber stoppers?
Not yet. Want to get it center before I add those. Looking at it, I'm assuming use just drill a hole for them?

I wonder if the after market has something that would just stick on.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Not yet. Want to get it center before I add those. Looking at it, I'm assuming use just drill a hole for them?

I wonder if the after market has something that would just stick on.
You can always stick them on, but then you will loose the adjustability as you adjust them by how much you screw them in. Probably just best to carefully drill the holes.

Are you just going to leave your lid light disconnected or are you going to some how fit it into the ducktail?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

I don't think I'll add the lid light. It almost never has helped me see anything. I like to just keep things simple.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Have you painted it yet?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

No, still working on it and quite a few other projects at the moment.

I'll post up pics once I get it all done. I still have to move it over about 2mm to be happy with it, then I'll have it painted.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 221 Posts

Looks really good - maybe it could come up a smidge on the right (passenger) side? A 1/32nd or 1/16th shim might improve your panel gap there.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartansix
Looks really good - maybe it could come up a smidge on the right (passenger) side? A 1/32nd or 1/16th shim might improve your panel gap there.
Mine sits exactly the same and if I push it up, there's almost no gap up by the window. I'm waiting for my buddy to tweak it for me before I get it painted. I guess their mold is a little off.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:47 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpar
Mine sits exactly the same and if I push it up, there's almost no gap up by the window. I'm waiting for my buddy to tweak it for me before I get it painted. I guess their mold is a little off.
Yup, mine sits to far left. The only way to found to center it was drill the hinges to about 10mm and move it over. Then made a custom piece to sit into the hinge (on the underside) to keep everything solid. This gives me lots of room to adjust the duck. I should post some more resent pics to show you.

This is a job you'll need a buddy handy. It's not hard to remove it, but installing it alone is a chore.

Also for noobs, NOT NOT remove your shocks entirely (ask me how I know this). Just unpin them from your hinge and let them hang. You'll need to use one. Mine turned out to be the right side. Was the only way to get the duck to sit flat. Looks almost perfect now.

How did you guys deal with how the tail meets the center reflector? It almost looks like I need to remove about 3 or 4mm off the bottom of it.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
h

How did you guys deal with how the tail meets the center reflector? It almost looks like I need to remove about 3 or 4mm off the bottom of it.
I have a little overhang also but I was able to adjust it enough so that mine only overhangs by about 2mm.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:52 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that the Getty duck fits better than this one? That seems to be the most recommended version.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Shims need to be used to adjust and level - it is a trial and error method - you may need on both sides, may not, may need on one - all in effort to get fitting aligned correctly.
Shocks are to strong and will flip Ducktail up to fast even with one. Your solution is best.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Well I finally got the Duck centered. Literally ground down each hinge where it meets the chassis 3mm on the right side and ran a few spacers of the left to move it over. Also replaced those pins Porsche used with some 8mm bolts. So there's no slack anymore.

Here's a pic of me starting with one spacer, ended up needing to use two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ducktail install question