Sponsored by:

how to remove side air vent

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 PM
pyramidimaging
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to remove side air vent

I've searched as much as I can to try and find out how to remove the left side air vent of a LHD 964. I'm desperately trying to get to the convertible top control unit due to my top no longer operating. I've found a wonderful thread that talks about cold solder joints on the PCB of this controller but am unable to get to the unit in order to remove the cables. One thread said that if you remove the left side vent then you'll be able to get easier access to the controller rather than the tortuous method from under the dash.

Indeed, this unit and the VDO must have been worked on before because neither are screwed into the car but are merely suspended by their cables and tucked under the dash.

Anyway, many people have said that all you have to do to remove the left air vent is to insert a flat screwdriver or knife above the vent in order to depress the two clips. Then they say the vent can be pulled out by wiggling it to free the back from the air tube.

I've depressed the clips and have done everything to try and release the vent and pull it out. Even to the point of breaking a part of the plastic vent near the area on the left side where the screw holds the trim piece. I've tried prying it from the top, the sides and from the bottom but unable to get it to come forward. Would really appreciate any help on how to get this vent out so that I can unplug the 4 cables attached to the cabriolet top controller.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 PM
pyramidimaging
Advanced

It's painful that there have been over 150 views and no one has any suggestion. Has anyone removed this vent before? Could it be that the back is just incredibly stuck into the air tube? I did remove the trim piece on the left side by the way and forgot to mention it previously. I'm really jammed up with little time to work on this and when I do my frustration mounts to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to destroy the vent merely to get to the back of the convertible top controller box so I can remove the 4 cables. I've twisted myself under the dash to try to remove them but they all look identical and it's very hard to get any leverage. And, it is painful! I'm worried I'll never know which cable went to which connector when it's time to put them back on. Having access thru the left vent hole looks like it would solve my problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure where you are and so ROW or us, but it is easy to remove the dash complete. I know it sounds over the top, but it isnt difficult to do.

I found the vents to be impossible to remove, the barbs that catch behind seem to grab the more you pull.

So just remove the whole thing with vent in place.

Not sure with the airbag if you are usa tho, so maybe check first.

For ROW - it is easy, 15 minutes, First remove the 2 end caps and hidden screws, then the top vent screws - be careful not to drop any. then under the vent cover are a couple more screws. Only thing left is a nut on the hidden bolt behind the dial nearest to the centre (clock in usa), there is a threaded stud on the inside of the dash cover with a nut and washer - it is just visible inside where the clock is, (pry out the clock with a flat plastic lever) if you visualise the dash with dials it is just above and to the left of the radio slot on the curved edge of the clock. reach in and remove the nut, that's it. the dash will lift forward and up and off. The vents go into the airways so pull forward first if you see what i mean.

Why not give it a try? I didnt replace the hidden nut, didnt seem to make any difference, the threaded stud still locates.

hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Ok, quick scan and don't know if this has been mentioned, but I took mine out in my old can many times and it sucks. But have to go under the dash. Blood rushes to your head and hard to get to it, but it's the only way. Good luck. I even have a spare one from trying the swap and it was other stuff. That's a whole other story...
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Oh, also, the seat comes out with a few bolts. May want to try that. Don't wreck the vent. You will be shocked how easy it is with the seat out. Plus, I found golf *****, lighters and change. May get lucky and find some drugs from previous owner.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 AM
pyramidimaging
Advanced

Default thanks for the suggestions

appreciate the suggestions. Don't know why I didn't think to remove the driver's seat. I'll try that first since that is another item that needs to be adjusted anyway. If still unable to get that damn vent out then I'll take the whole dash out. Never did that before but I'll have a go at it if necessary.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This may be of help, see Ebay (UK) item 182022972091. Has a good pic of the spring clips so you can see what you're up against - careful lubrication?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 PM
pyramidimaging
Advanced

thanks everyone. I finally had time to get the driver seat disengaged from the floor. Of course the battery went dead and couldn't get it all the way forward till I charged it. Then it wouldn't go forward enough to expose the back the forward bolt of the two per side. But I had someone sit in the back and push hard forward till it moved enough to expose all the back 4 bolts.

When I saw how rounded out the bolts were I was sick thinking about how difficult it was going to be to remove them. Fortunately, the last mechanic must have realized the same after he rounded them out and only put them back finger tight. You'd think he would have put in some better bolts!

At least I got them out and lifted the seat backwards and was able to get enough room under the dash to remove the 4 cables that attached to the convertible top controller (that was after my flashlight batteries had to be replaced because they went dead). So, this ended up taking a few days but at least now the controller is out. That was my primary mission because the top won't go down and I wanted to inspect the solder joints on the PCB. As soon as I figure out how to get to the back of the PCB.

Worse now was the fact that when I started up the car after charging the battery smoke started billowing out from under the dash and from under the bonnet! I was hoping I'd see what wires were burning but cannot tell. Looks like I'll be back trying to remove the dash. My car hates me because I said I was going to sell it! I guess I'll take my miseries onto some other threads now that I have to deal with convertible top controller and removing dash.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Quick Reply: how to remove side air vent