Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahh - 964 Will Not Start! - Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ahh - 964 Will Not Start! - Help Please!

Hoping for some advice.

964 is not starting, more specifically it cranks strong but will not fire.

Background, the car recently had a major service plus some, perhaps relevant among other items, the battery, fuel filter and plugs were changed, following the service the car was running sweet.

Into winter storage, since the service the car has covered 60 miles, I started it a month ago, it started first time no issues. (Battery is on a C-Tech conditioner) – I tried to start it this weekend, nothing, it cranks first time I can hear a click from the DME relay and then two quick clicks from the fuel pump, no whirring, but it will not fire.

Since the last time it ran perfectly nothing has been changed, added or modified.

Having used the search function I intend to change the DME relay and check the connections on the DME unit under the seat, I did take the foam floor boards out so may have knocked something.

As the car is in storage and I need to travel to get to it, if the above does not work I would like to carry out further investigation thus I would like to ascertain if I am getting fuel and a spark.

Can anyone explain the procedure on how I would check for fuel? And the procedure for checking for a spark?

Following on from if no success a trip to a local Indy is calling, but as the car will not start getting it there is a PITA!

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely start with the DME relay.

Spark is easy - pull one of the upper plug wires out, install a plug into it (can use the one in the engine if you feel like unscrewing it), holding the plug wire touch the threaded section of the plug to some exposed metal on the car. Have a buddy crank the car over and look for spark.

Fuel can be done similarly - unscrew the line from the fuel filter, put it in a small container and crank the engine.

Alternatively you can also jump the two terminals where the DME relay attaches to hot wire the fuel pump. Cant remember which terminals they are but it has been discussed numerous times and a quick search on the forums should find it. This wont require removing the fuel line as you should be able to hear the fuel pump running.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try locking your car and unlocking it. It's only happened to me once, for some reason when I unlocked it from my passenger side door and tried to start it, it didn't turn over. A low tech security system.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
Alternatively you can also jump the two terminals where the DME relay attaches to hot wire the fuel pump. Cant remember which terminals they are but it has been discussed numerous times and a quick search on the forums should find it. This wont require removing the fuel line as you should be able to hear the fuel pump running.
Thats where I would start too, DME relays arent cheap and buying one just to find out the old one was fine is ballache.

The other suggestion about lock/unlock is also worth a bash.

Where is the car in the UK?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:21 PM
onceover
Pro

Doesn't hurt to have a back-up DME relay regardless of whether thats the problem or not though
Old 02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chaps,

Thanks for the info thus far, I had already picked up a DME so will try that and the lock unlock before going after the spark.

in regards to placing a jumper across the DME terminals to confirm fuel pump, is this at the fuse box? Does anyone know the terminal numbers?

Jevvy, the car is in Middlesex, although I live in Berkshire.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Thats where I would start too, DME relays arent cheap and buying one just to find out the old one was fine is ballache.

eBay and Amazon are good places to find cheaper DME relays. The best option would be to go with a solid state relay from ftech9

No affiliation but a happy customer!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 AM
onceover
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...what-pins.html
Old 02-11-2016, 05:49 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If no fuel and no spark, you should check the flywheel reference sensor.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do see a spark, the spark should be BLUE. If red, yellow or orange, the coil is bad.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the crank position sensor needs replacing.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964

Objection!
If it's not the DME relay, put the new relay in the door pocket until the old one break, then switch relays and carry on driving and thank me for the bright idea to keep a spare DME relay in the car!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Stephen Koch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ras62, think you accidentally resurrected an old thread from 2016. i guessing he no longer needs suggestions on what to investigate.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:01 AM
onceover
Pro

Originally Posted by Stephen Koch
ras62, think you accidentally resurrected an old thread from 2016. i guessing he no longer needs suggestions on what to investigate.
I would hope he got it running after 4 years!

I don't understand how people manage to bump threads like this unless they’re searching for a solution to a similar problem...
Old 06-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
I would hope he got it running after 4 years!

I don't understand how people manage to bump threads like this unless they’re searching for a solution to a similar problem...
Another big mystery are all the people who starts "Help my car don't start!" Threads but never tells us what caused the problem once the car is fixed!

Thank you sooooooo much for that! (Not).

Quick Reply: Ahh - 964 Will Not Start! - Help Please!